Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ftwpoolgirl

Gunite question

ftwpoolgirl
14 years ago

How many days does it take for gunite to cure?

What do they fill the weep holes with? Is it just thicker plaster in those holes?

There are several permanent footprints in the dry gunite. How do they get these out?

Thanks!!!

Comments (11)

• fighting_irish
    14 years ago

Most recommendations for gunite are for a cure time of one to two weeks. While curing, the gunite should be wet down frequently, this will slow the curing and result in a stronger end product.
    As a pool builder, we let our gunite cure for 28 days as that is how long it takes a 12" x 12' bond beam to reach 80% of its strength.
    The weeps holes are filled with plaster in the end.
    As far as the foot prints they will be filed with plaster as well. All imprints in the gunite will be filled at time of plaster.
    Did they broom finish they gunite? Are you watering the gunite at least twice a day?

• ftwpoolgirl
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thank you for the quick response!!
    Yes, we are watering. So plaster is impermeable?? Glad to know that it will have a smooth finish when they are done. I guess the gunite then is mostly just for structural purposes and not really a water sealer as the plaster will keep any ground water from leaking in. Is that correct?

The gunite floor was so wet from ground water. They did broom finish but left a couple foot prints while trying to set up a sump pump. The sump pump is now permanently part of our pool and will have to be sledge hammered out...which I don't see how they're going to do because it's sitting on top of a drain! The cord for the sump pump is also sealed into the gunite. The gunite crew came this morning to try and get it out and could not. So they left it for the plaster crew to deal with. Nice.

• fighting_irish
    14 years ago

You are correct in the gunite is the stucture and the plaster is the waterproofing. As far as the sump pump I am sure they will figure something out. Most likely they will get the sump out but leave the cord in the shell. This should not be an issue. Problems do happen from time to time building pools. Sometimes we have to think on or feet to solve unforseen issues.

Good luck form this point on. And please continue to keep us posted.

David

• Rack Etear
    14 years ago

I'd like to laugh about the pump, but I can't.

• ftwpoolgirl
    Original Author
    14 years ago

It's okay racket :) We did laugh but at the same time felt bad because the guy was really just trying to help me out since he knew the pool would probably flood. I've been working on cleaning the debris out of the pool today. A hammer has worked pretty good on leveling some shoe prints and part of where the hose was. I'll work on the pump a little later. Electric crew is here so we got some progress. Wed/Thur is expected to rain...so we'll prob flood once again. They can't do any deck work until the ground dries out some. Ugh....sticky clay.
    Thanks for keeping me sane guys!!!!

• ftwpoolgirl
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I feel like a Rock Star. 4 different guys couldn't get the pump out. Today after using a masonry chisel and sledge hammer, I got the cord out without cutting it and also the pump...all by my little girlie self. I rock :) hahaha...okay enough tooting my own horn. But seriously you should see my bi's...they're pumped...hahahahaa

• fighting_irish
    14 years ago

lol.

• Rack Etear
    14 years ago

I'd like to laugh about the pump, but I can't.

• donthefitter_hotmail_com
    12 years ago

I have five small brown spot in my pool. I have tried erase them with aproduct and swept them and nothing seems to work how can I make them disapear. Thanks

• poolguynj
    12 years ago

Paint the whole pool brown?

JK

We need to see a picture and water test results.

Scott

• watergirl21
    12 years ago

Help! We had a spa built onto the end of our existing swimming pool. They cut out 2 spaces for waterfalls over the pool instead of just one. I wasn't home to stop them. When they came back to fix it, they chiseled away the center - it is already hard - but need to add more gunite on the sides to close the opening from 6 feet to a normal 3 foot opening. Can they just repour? Will it be as strong? What steps do they have to do to make it right? This just happened today and I want to make sure it's fixed properly. Thanks for any help.

Sponsored
The Creative Kitchen Company
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars47 Reviews
Franklin County's Kitchen Remodeling and Refacing Professional