Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
vpace_gw

New constructions questions

vpace
9 years ago

I am new to the forum and new to pool ownership. I have never owned a pool before but have always dreamed of having one. We just got our loan and now it is decision time.

We have pretty much decided on an 18x36 free form vinyl liner pool with custom tile tanning ledge. (I would love fiberglass but cost prohibitive and too limited on sizing/shapes/options we want.)

I apologize in advance for the numerous questions so feel free to only answer whatever.

We live in Arkansas and I am debating a heat pump. Since it cannot be added later, I don't want to skip it if it's worth it, but don't want to waste the money if it isn't. (I am very cold natured.) In your opinions, does it extend the amount of swim time enough for the cost?

Many people NEVER cover their pools but this kind of freaks me out. We live in the country, deeply wooded on 75%, and the thought of months with no cover, no one by the pool, and the Disney creatures having a hey-day out there gives me the willies. How many cover in winter? What kind?

About how many sq feet of pool decking do you recommend?

I am having a custom built seat put into the pool. 3/4 of the pool will be 3/12-4' with 1/4 being 6'. We know too much deep end is a waste. The tanning ledge will be on an 36' side where it is fairly shallow. I thought the built in seat would go at one 18' end with steps at the other, but now I wonder if no one would use it at the deep end? Perhaps better on the other long edge across from the ledge?

Are solar covers worth it?

Again, apologies in advance. I have researched and researched everything from electrical, structural, plumbing to various features and extras. I want it done well without wasting money in places I shouldn't and wishing I had put it elsewhere. I am in no hurry to build and am currently meeting with various installers to decide what I want and with whom.

Comments (2)