Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
goofyyno

Thoughts on Pool Jewelz?

goofyyno
13 years ago

I did a search and could find any references to them. Does anyone know anything positive or negative about the product/

thanks

Comments (12)

• jasonlmarsh
    13 years ago

Looks like a typical mosaic tile finish. Their website doesn't give much info though...

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

Here is a link that might be useful: www.pooljewelz.com

• goofyyno
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thx,I appreciate the effort. I've been to the web site, even seen a product sample. we are seriously considering using it in our pool so I wanted to see if any thought it would be a huge mistake.

• poolguynj
    13 years ago

As long as you aren't in a geo with real winters. Tile and frozen pool surfaces don't mix well due to ice expansion. It can pop and crack tiles.

Warmer climates, where the pool surface won't freeze are suitable for a tiled pool.

Scott

• goofyyno
    Original Author
    13 years ago

nope, in Scottsdale, az so no snow, etc. (although we did get a small snow flurry a last week, very exciting for us desert dwellers.)

• just-a-pb
    13 years ago

I am a builder and live in North Scottsdale as well. The kids loved the little bit of snow we had.

This just looks like inexpensive glass tile made in China. In a matter of fact home depot is selling one that looks very similar to their blue sample.

There are alot of sources out there for glass tile. The real issue is the install. This can not be done by just anyone, it can be a real expensive mess down the line if not done correctly.

• tmaas246_gmail_com
    13 years ago

Pool Jewelz is a unique glass tile in the fact that it is 1/2" in size and offset in a z pattern.
    The old standard set for a tile was a 1" or 3/4" in line set. Many tile setters struggled to keep the lines of their tile sets straight in the pool as once you add water the out of plumb lines are greatly magnified.
    Pool Jewelz has a more monolithic look in a pool and looks more like a field of jewels or gems.
    There are no straight lines to follow except when outlining steps,love seats and baja shelves.
    as for the size...Pool Jewelz has the lowest density of surface space at the back of the tile compared with 3/4" or 1" tile.
    The smaller size reduces the amount of movement that occurs behind a tile in heat and cold contraction. Imagine stress on a 1" tile back versus a 1/2" tile back. Far less surface to absorb fracture.
    As a highly fired tile Pool Jewelz is the perfect application for those seeking the beauty of all glass tile at an affordable price.
    Ask the hundreds of satisfied customers and you will find they share the same feelings of WOW that many people do not have when installing plaster and stone products.

• poolguynj
    13 years ago

I imagine there's twice as many grout lines too. The step picture does show some of the Z pattern and also shows a lot of standard alignments also. Can you explain?

Scott

• just-a-pb
    13 years ago

You say no straight lines, but they are brick set, so you will still have straight lines going the other way.
    1/2" also doesnt give a lot of room to adhere to thinset.

Call it what you want, it is just cheap, very thin glass from china.

Scott,
    To make bends and curves like in the pic above they are stripping out one row at a time to set it.

• poolguynj
    13 years ago

I was hoping he might add something.

Scott

• tmaas246_gmail_com
    13 years ago

Wow guys ..I'm getting the impression you are in a competitive market or perhaps just feel the need to slam a product you may not be familiar with or personally like.
    I suggest you check ANSI standards on tile installation and on tile surface fracture as related to size of tile.
    As for the lines...I believe it is self evident and stated in the post that lines on benches steps and seats are set individually. It is the field set that provides the monolithic look in the pool and is easier to set than 1" or 3/4" inline.
    I invite you both to get in touch with a Pool Jewelz rep in your area and see the tile and the unique look it provides.
    By the way...the Chinese were installing Mosaic tiles in 1500 BC...

• Rack Etear
    13 years ago

"I suggest you check ANSI standards on tile installation and on tile surface fracture as related to size of tile. "

Does ANSI have any provision for submerged applications such as a pool??

In my experience the small the glass tile the more likely it is to pop from it's mortar bet.

What you say might be nice in theory, but I haven't seen these results in practice.

• shawjack34_yahoo_com
    13 years ago

Okay I did some checking into this and it appears to be legit. I called several pool companies like Shasta and others and here is what I found out. They have a 12 year warranty on the tile and the adhesive. I guess the company that makes the adhesive or glue that holds the tile in place did some test and they are pretty confident in their products ability to hold the tile in place for more than a decade.
    This seems to me like the best warranty I have ever seen for a pool interior? Oh before I forget I saw a pool in Shasta's pool work with these Pool Jewelz glass tiles in it. So I'm thinking this may be worth taking a look at as something different for my own pool. FWIW.