Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
disneyjoe7

Intellitouch and Intelliflo Freeze modes

disneyjoe7
13 years ago

Do you need to have anything programmed to do freeze mode?

It seems to run in a slow mode 18gpm, but I asking if the Solar panels are working also working or not. I used value A for the solar. Solar is set for 40gpm.

Comments (14)

• Rack Etear
    13 years ago

The pool/spa mode are set by default to be on.

Everything else should be added in.

Its under menu-setup-advanced-circuit functions. Click on the function you want on, and it will say on with freeze yes/no.

• disneyjoe7
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Ok I understand what you're saying, but I don't need something that states Solar as this is default on right?

Or do I need to have a display button state Solar so I can state set for Freeze mode? I have solar in the intelliflo pump setup for 40gpm, but only the value A for solar in the intellitouch.

Only pool is set for Freeze mode. I'm concern as we have a cold night the solar panel may freeze up and cause some damage.

• Rack Etear
    13 years ago

I don't do many solar systems so I can't recall if the solar comes up in equipment function or not.

If you are really worried about it you can manually activate the solar valve on the dip switch then turn it to off when in solar mode. Then the pool mode should activate it in freeze mode.

• disneyjoe7
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks for your honesty, I checked both manuals online and they are a bit fuzzy on the subject also. Not spelling it out to me.

• just-a-pb
    13 years ago

I dont believe solar will come on in regular freeze mode.
    Try setting a feature cir called "solar", and set freeze to yes. You already have a speed set to "solar", so that should work. You can manually try it by turning on the feature cir and see if the valve rotates.

• Rack Etear
    13 years ago

Thinking about it, you could just assign the solar valve to a feature circuit, then find it in equipment functions and flag it to "yes" for freeze mode.

The pump should already be running, so all you have to do is operate the valve.

• disneyjoe7
    Original Author
    13 years ago

In calling Pentair tech support, they too stated solar doesn't go on in freeze mode. The solar shouldn't need to since it has a drain back hole in the valve.

I did call a display feature circuit then stated yes on freeze mode. But wonder if I need to or not, after that call... Or more confused now?

• poolguynj
    13 years ago

A drain back hole? As in VRV? Doesn't do anything for the up pipe feeding the panels.

Scott

• Rack Etear
    13 years ago

Some solar systems have a check valve in the diverter to allow them to drain down. However if the pump turns back on this doesn't do much good.

I'd either ciculate water through the panels, or drain them completely.

• disneyjoe7
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Well I tried to operate activator manually but did nothing like no power. So first thing I need to find out why that is not working. I did this a couple weeks ago and everything worked ok as I didn't find any leaks. I have setup a cooling mode so I could operate solar at night to cool off pool if needed. It's works by reversing power via relay to activator by the 2nd speed connection. I could add freeze protection on this feature to flow water to solar panels.

Side not the water temp sensor is bad so reading 165f or so. Didn't think that could be a problem but the tech in me says fix the most obvious first.

• king_michelob
    13 years ago

Don't know about the solar variety, but I found out the hard way Freeze protection is automatic on the intelliflo. Had some problems with the DE filter a few weeks ago and had the piping connections tore apart when I ran out of daylight, naturally the pump was off but powered. Got up the next morning and the pool was 6" lower than it was the night before! (it was in the 30's) Fortunately I had the skimmers open which must have caviated the pump out once the level dropped below them, otherwise the entire pool might have been pumped out over the yard. Be aware of this feature!!!

• poolguynj
    13 years ago

Hmm, I would call that a bug. I am going to post that on Pentair's Innovation Lab site. What versions of code on the IntelliTouch, IntelliFlo, and if you are running it, Screen Logic?

Scott

• Rack Etear
    13 years ago

I believe they are removing that freeze protection because of issues such as this one.

• poolguynj
    13 years ago

In Service Mode, the control cable is essentially disconnected from the panel and the pump resumes it's uncontrolled state, i.e. it's panel reassumes control and Freeze Protect in the pump's controller is active! The only thing to do is to cut the power to the pump.

Scott