Return to the Pools & Spas Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
1 1/2 year old pool appears to be sinking

Posted by viennamommy19 (My Page) on
Sun, Jan 2, 11 at 22:23

We had a gunite pool installed in Oct of '09 (we live outside of DC in Northern VA).

In several areas, the concrete deck has separated from the flagstone coping and the coping is lower than the deck, in some places as much as 3".

Any ideas as to what's going on here? Is this normal in cold weather?

Thanks in advance!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: 1 1/2 year old pool appears to be sinking

Most likely the pool is not sinking but your deck could be heaving. If the subgrade was wet or not compacted properly then it can swell in cold weather and push your deck upwards. Since it is very unlikely that your pool would have settled un evenly check your water level on your tile. If it is level all around the pool then then deck moved.

o

Thanks. Our pool is closed for the winter so we can't see any water. Even if we could, the water is well below the tile line.

o

Thank you SO much poolcenter.com! My husband and I are nodding in agreement when reading your reply- we think you're spot on.

We have not caulked yet- we still have the foam-like strips between the concrete. At what point next year should this be done?

We've already noticed an improvement so hopefully things will even out.

Again- thanks so much! The picture on your blog is exactly what we've got going on here.

o

After the Spring's main pollen drop. Some caulks take longer to skin over than others.

Scott

o

Boy am I glad I read this. It's our first winter with our pool (we're in SE PA) and was out at XMas with the kids and noticed the deck was slightly higher than the coping...about an inch in one spot. Was too worried my pool was sinking. Frost heave makes sense though as we also just have that foam like stuff between the deck and coping. Hopefully in the spring it'll level itself back out or at least get close and then we'll caulk it before next winter.

Thanks.

o

Teeter tottering is possible. Without pix, we won't know. We do know it's Winter and moist clay expands and when it freezes, gets even bigger.

Settlement near the dig would have caused it to sink near the coping, not rise. Your own pix show this.

Scott

o

Settlement near the pool would cause it to sink near the pool, settlement away from the pool with relatively less or no settlement in between would cause it to rise at the edge of the pool.

To help ensure that it drops back to its original level if it is just frost heave, you can try putting 60 gallon trash cans full of water on the areas that are lifted the night before a day when temps are predicted to be above freezing.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Pools & Spas Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here