Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ctm14_gw

J.L. Blodgett abandons pool project

ctm14
15 years ago

I wanted to send along a note of caution to all members about an experience I had with pool builder J.L. Blodgett - Temecula CA and owner Jerry Blodgett. The building process was going along reasonably in the beginning as we were accomplishing tasks that were associated with pay milestones. I encountered issues as we approached the end of the project and it would require three calls to Jerry before I would receive a return call. There was always some sort of excuse about being out of town or stricken by illness. Jerry would eventually show up and make an effort to resolve the issue i.e. electrical, spa jet flow, etc.. As I became more suspicious about the health of his business I requested that I make payment directly to his subs and pay him his profit directly. Understandably Jerry did not like this but I had been burned by his landscape partner so I demmanded this arrangement. After the installation of the electric cover and corresponding payments the contract had been paid in full. With only final inspection and a few electrical modules remaining I was surprised to find Jerry not returning my calls and totally abandoning the project. I now find myself paying another builder to complete the project and will have to seek damages from him in court. This builder is a two man shop funding projects with funds from future projects and it looks like this house of cards has collapsed. Perhaps if I had not demmanded to pay the contractors directly I would be out more $$. Do not be fooled by the quiet demeanor this is not a company nor person to trust with your project!!!

Comments (10)

• poolexpert
    15 years ago

Sorry you had this happen. Checking the contractors license he started in business in 1975 as Blodgett Brothers. The economy has hit the pool business very hard I would guess some companys are doing 30-40% of the pools in 2006.
    I used to recomend that people request a completion bond If the contractor has poor credit you can move on to the next company.

• repair_guy
    15 years ago

Blodgett hhas been around forever but honestly I have not seen him driving around town in some time. He is more than a two man shop and for that matter, one man shops do better than most multi-man shops who have the day laborer of the day inyour yard. You could at least count on who is in your yard everyday with a smaller company.

This is not an endorsement of Blodgett but just a perspective that this industry has taken a huge hit and on a good day, pool building is a risk with most guys who have entered the industry in the past 5 years. Even the good guys are dying right now and illness to a small company can indeed cause a failure if that is truly what went on.

You made the right choice in paying subs.

• ctm14
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Has anyone had a similar experience with Blodgett? I am going to file a complaint with the state contractors board and am wondering if anyone has done similar.

• tim_a
    13 years ago

I recently hired Mr. Blodgett to install a pool in my backyard. Let me set the record straight as CTM14 has made some biased claims. This is not a one man shop as Jerry has his brother Dan, Dan's son Dave, and his own son Jerry Junior working for him. He also has good control over the sub contractors that he used during the process of building my pool. I found him to be an honest, trustworthy, and very reliable person. He returned calls and had someone over whenever I had a concern. He also finished the job about 4 weeks early even with at least 3 delays due to rain. If you want a quality pool at a fair price, with everything spelled out and no surprises I would fully recommend you give Jerry a call. I want to thank him and everyone else who helped make my backyard an oasis to enjoy.

• ctm14
    Original Author
    13 years ago

tim_a

I am glad you had a good experience. I am also glad to hear Jerry is healthy; I wonder what it was that prevented him from returning more than 5 messages I left him. I still find myself without the light dimming module and remote telephone module he comitted to in our contract. I also was left to pay fees to a back up construction company who I had to hire to remediate small issues and get me through final city approval. I guess he can do a good job with a project but if I was going to trust my next pool project to someone it would not be someone who is not committed to the satisfaction of all his customers. My statements above are not opinions I actually have items missing from the initial contract and to me that is simply dishonest. The price may be reasonable but when you contract to build a pool the initial price does not always tell the full story.

• goyom
    13 years ago

Do everything in your power to hang this guy out to dry IF he treated you like this.

Karma is a fickle mistress and if he has done this he WILL get his, and most likely rot in you know where at some point.

Sorry you are having such a bad time of it.

• PRO
    TEMECULA VALLEY SOLAR
    9 years ago

I have only heard great things about J L Blodgett Pool Construction. I have recommended him to many clients and they have all stated high praise! It is a family business with most of the work performed by family members. Mr. Blodgett has been constructing swimming pools since 1973 and has an A+ rating with the Better Business Bureau!

• bradsb53
    8 years ago

We had Jerry build us a pool 2 years ago (2013) in Murrieta. Not only did he do a great job, he completed it 3 weeks earlier than planned. Anytime we called him, he called back and followed up in person or sent someone from his crew. I would not hesitate to recommend Jerry to my family or friends!

• HU-565598216
    8 months ago

i will reply to this rediculous person 1 more time, we completed his pool very nicely & w inc plaster & filled with water, we had solar in the contract & some of my pool profit left & he cancelled the solar, the abandoned pool as he calls it was a dimmer, he still owes me money for backing out of the contract, if anyone is interested in a pool please check my BBB record & check with CSLB record, it will be outstanding, we are celebrating our 50th year in business this year, I guess in 50 years of business you are bound to find a person like him, Jerry Blodgett, JL Bodgett Pools

Sponsored
SURROUNDS Landscape Architecture + Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars10 Reviews
DC Area's High-End Custom Landscape Design/Build Firm 9x Best of Houzz