Return to the Pools & Spas Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Installation of auto fill

Posted by papaflbear (My Page) on
Wed, Jan 16, 13 at 21:18

I'm building a gunite pool and neglected to install an autofill before shooting the shell. My question is: Can I seal around the equalizer line/pipe of the auto fill well enough to provide a water tight seal? The pool finish hasn't been installed yet.
Do any of the PB's have any suggestions of the best product to seal the gunite around the equalizer pipe.

Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Installation of auto fill

hydraulic cement, you can buy it at home depot

o

Renovxpt, thanks for the reply on the hydraulic cement which is what I suspected would be best but it is always good to have that confirmed. Are there any problems with drilling thru the gunite at this stage (before the finish is installed)?

o

papa- no problem with drilling a hole through the shell. Hydraulic cement is great, but I would encourage your plasterers to use water stops on all every shell penetrations....returns, leveler, drains, etc.

o

Natural one -thanks for the confirmation on drilling thru the shell but how is a water stop installed on returns or drains that are already in place? I thought water stops have to be in place prior to pouring the concrete or in this case, the gunite.

o

It goes around the joint where the hydraulic cement, pipe, and gunite wall are, both sides preferably. It acts as a membrane to keep the water from penetrating.

Scott

o

Typically Hydraulic Cements are expansive, so it's not a good idea to put them underneath plaster.

If I were to install an autofill in an exiting pool I would patch the pipe in with a sand/cement mix, and use the pool plaster for waterproofing.

o

Scott, thanks for your comments but I'm not sure how effective the water stop would be unless I'm missing something. Most of the water stop materials that I'm familiar with indicates that there needs to be a minimum of 2" of concrete on either side of the water stop. I don't think I'll have that thickness on the existing returns/drains. Is there a particular water stop material that you or natural one are referring to?

Racket, thanks for your input too. I agree that hydraulic cements are generally expansive but I thought only during the cure period. Once cured, they should be stable. Is it safe to assume that you have had experience where the hydraulic cement did expand and you had the plaster pop?

Thanks to everyone who have offered advice on this.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Pools & Spas Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here