Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
homersgarden

Free Hot Tub on Craigslist Worth It?

homersgarden
14 years ago

We have an inground pool that we shut down Oct-Mayish. I have thought about getting a hot tub, but I am not sure if we would use it. My idea is that we would run it when the pool is shut down. I keep seeing hot tubs on Craigslist for free. Many of them say they need a new heat pump, filter, motor etc. They seem structurally sound, and look fine. My question is would it be worth it to fix one? I don't want to buy a brand new one if we won't use it. I don't mind spending some money on one to "test" it out. If we end up using it a lot then we will can purchase a nicer one down the road. Thoughts?

How much would a filter cost? Heater? Pump?

Comments (8)

• terryibra
    14 years ago

a friend at work bough one. it was extremely inefficient and increased her utilities dramatically. Stick with a used higher end model like hotsprings. They come up sometimes on Craigslist but it will cost you about 4-5k.
    they are 10k new.

• huskyridor
    14 years ago

I see some decent ones from time to time. I usually offer them to my hands. Only my super and designer have pools. The rest of the guys have hot tubs that were free.
    If it's in good shape all you need is a good carpenter, they look and socialize around best with a wood deck beside and steps leading up into it.
    If it has mechanical problems replacing the equipment set can get expensive quickly.
    The old wore out ones make great Koi ponds if they don't leak.

See ya,
    Kelly

• User
    14 years ago

If its free why not. A new one will cost you about $4000. for a small one. Even if you had to put a thousand in it, its less cost. I have a spa and I rarely use it, I've had 4 of them and sold 3. Its not something you would use everyday after you get used to it. try the free one first is my choice.

• zoeterdz
    10 years ago

I quite often see listings for free hot tubs pretty much everywhere I've lived (So. California, Las Vegas, Houston, Texas, So. Oregon, Tacoma, Washington) from time to time. If you diligently read the classified ads you should also see them offered for reasons unknown. Less than two months ago I saw an ad for a free hot tub and it ended up being less than a mile from my home. I answered the ad and now am the proud owner of a 7 man hot tub that listed for over $5000. when new. It works perfectly and our power bill only went up around $18.-$20. per month and we keep it ready to use at all times. I'm not sure why people get rid of them for free and just for a good price but like I said, it's quite common to find them offered by people for free... Good luck with your decisions...

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    9 years ago

the problem is.. they are usually empty ...

if you could actually find one full .. and test out the motors and what not ... then it might be worth it ...

but i have to tell you.. moving one of these larger units is not easy nor fun ... and it would be a lot of backbreaking labor.. to find out it leaks.. or the circuitry is fried ...

i didnt see where you are ... but running it.. in the great frozen north.. all winter long will be a hundred or two dollars per month ... and that is why i eventually got rid of mine ... i could not steep myself in there.. and relax ..... knowing it was costing me so much dough ... lol ...

even in summer.. it wasnt cheap.. keeping it at temp ... as it takes hours for it to go up a degree or two ... so its not like you can knock the temp back.. like you might your furnace ... at night ... and think it will come back up to heat.. in an hour or two ...

ken

• fkendricks
    8 years ago

I would love to take it off your hands. I can be reached at 313 5158570

• HU-775529265
    4 years ago

Where are you located?