Return to the Pools & Spas Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Beam Rebar - 4 bar box photos?

Posted by austin.sailor (My Page) on
Tue, Jan 22, 13 at 21:14

Does anyone have some photos of a properly done 4-bar box beam? I have searched over several forums and across the web - but no luck. Any help is appreciated! Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Beam Rebar - 4 bar box photos?

Your soils report will dictate your engineering report. It would be best to have that in hand so you can take it to the structural engineer and he can then decide your rebar schedule. You may not even need a four bar box beam.

o

Thanks for the reply. In six bids, no PB has even described providing a soil report. We have a pool shell significantly out of the soil (raised), with a portion excavated in soil. My thought is that for a few hundred dollars more we can improve to 8"OC and 4 bar box beam and its money well spent. I was asking for a photo because I can't findable good depiction of one.

o

The only problem with just upgrading to more rebar still will not tell you weather you have enough or to much. You or your builder are not a soils or structural engineers. A soils report is cheap insurance. Especially if you have differential soils. Most builders will not get a soils report done because they were taught you do not need one for a pool. Most cities require a soils report if you were to do a house or an addition. Why should a pool be any different.

o

The only time we have test bores done is if we think there is a potential problem or if we dig up an old stump hole or once when we had to remediate soil around an old oil storage tank. I don't know of any builders in our area that get soils reports on jobs. Structural failures of the pool shell are very rare and usually because they built in unengineered fill or a stump hole.

I understand this is more of an issue on the west coast.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Pools & Spas Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here