Return to the Pools & Spas Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Pool too narrow?

Posted by rockybird (My Page) on
Sat, Jan 14, 12 at 19:28

I have the concrete poured for the pool and the coping and now I am worried the pool is too narrow! It's 60' x 14'. It was designed by an architect, who wanted it to be even narrower. There isnt much room in the back to have gone more than a couple feet wider if there is still to be a back deck, as there is a huge gulley farther out. I might have been able to bring it closer to the house. My father who just got back from a trip to Mexico told me this is the trend and trust the architect. It was meant to be a lap pool, but I didnt want to restrict it to that. Is this too narrow???

Photobucket

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Pool too narrow?

too narrow for what? If it looks fine, then that would be the only thing I would worry about. Otherwise it is ok for sports, laps and general floating around. Anyway it looks like you are pretty far into it

o

I would have to agree with March2012. Looks good to me!

o

Thank you!!! I was looking at it yesterday and suddenly it looked so narrow to me, that I panicked. It helps to hear that you dont think it looks too narrow to be of any use for anything other than laps. Maybe I over-reacted!

o

You are welcome. I am also in the middle of a pool build in MD and have panicked, overreacted, freaked out myself on more than one occasion. It is a big project and I think it is normal to over think it. You are going to love it once it is done. Congrats!

o

Our pool is just 10' wide on one end and 16' on the other. That's all that would fit and no regrets what-so-ever. We have as many as 6 people per side for volleyball and it's just awesome.

Photobucket

Photobucket

o

Thanks cmanley! I havent been able to devote the time and thought to this pool as I should with work and remodeling the house at the same time. I worry that I will find I made mistakes that I will regret later.

paradigmdawg - your pool is beautiful! I love it. The landscaping around it is also very nice. It is good to hear that you can play sports with lots of people..

Thank you again! I do feel better. :)

o
forgot to add...

Good luck with your pool build cmaley33! Hopefully, we will be proudly posting pics of finished pools before too long.

o

It looks lovely and you'll be surprised how wide it is once you fill it with water.
I had the same thing with my pool - looked tiny for a while during construction - but now it's huge.
And when we built a house, I remember standing in what would eventually be the garage and thinking, "there's no way two cars can fit in here", but when it was done, it easily fit two big trucks with room to spare.

o

It looks less than 60 feet long. Otherwise you'll be fine.

o

You have plenty of room. Ours is 10 x 20 and 10 people are playing modified volley ball.

Photobucket

Here is 25 people in our pool, ages range from 4years to 70years. As you can see I have plenty more room for more people. We had a small party but not everyone wanted to participate in the group photo.
Photobucket

Here is a link that might be useful: Our pool build in Jacksonville

o

Thank you so much for the replies and the great pool pics. I feel so much better about this pool. :) LOL bentr - great looking and fun pool!

I think you are right c9pilot, once I get water in it (if I can EVER pick out tile!), it will look bigger.

Thanks ncrealestateguy. It doesnt look 60 feet, but it is for sure.

o

Oh my, 60 feet long?!? You'll have plenty of room. Nothing to worry about. It's going to be beautiful and I can't want to see the rest of your house on the Kitchen forum soon!!

o

Thank you houseful! I decided to make it a lap pool and it worked out nicely as at 60 feet the coping meets the decking that wraps around the house. They just finished installing the kitchen last week. I need to get back on the kitchen forum and post the pics.

Here is a link that might be useful: kitchen

o

Looking great! Yes, the TKO group will definitely want to see this!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Pools & Spas Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here