Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cmanley33

Diamond Brite - Blue or Super Blue

cmanley33
12 years ago

I am considering using Diamond Brite on our new pool. However it is very difficult to tell what the different colors look like from just the brochure. Has anyone out there used Diamond Brite and do you like it/ dislike it? And if you have any photos of your pool with the Diamond Brite that would also be helpful. I like the bright to lighter blues ... nothing too dark. There is a guy on this post (thejimbar) who has the most beautiful mixture of green and blue and I LOVE the color of his pool but the idea of mixing makes me too nervous that it wouldn't come out the right color.

Comments (8)

• poolguynj
    12 years ago

Super Blue would be too dark then for your tastes.

Diamond Brite has been around a very, very long time. Its a nice u/g from plain plaster with a somewhat longer expected life for not much more money.

Scott

• cmanley33
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks scott. I just got an email of some photos of Super Blue and actually I really like it. I don't like the really dark blue (lagoon like). I know I have seen the life expectancy on this site before but could you give them to me again for plain plaster and then the Diamond Brite? Do you have to brush Diamond Brite like you do regular plaster and what about some of the steaking issues I have read about? Is that from poor installation or poor chemical balance?

• poolguynj
    12 years ago

Plaster 8 - 10 years
    Diamond Brite 10 - 14 year
    High Aggregates like Pebble Tec or Wet Edge 25+ years

Streaking and mottling can be caused by so many things. The major contributors are mixed batch numbers, overworking during application, different mix times, the amount of time till the plaster is worked, inconsistent chemistry, application thickness, water, and several other factors that are beyond the control of anyone but God.

It's not as big an issue with Diamond Brite or HA finishes but can happen.

Yes, DB gets brushed like regular plaster.

Scott

• cmanley33
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks Scott. What does it cost to replaster a pool? Do most people say Dimond Brite is easier on the feet than Pebble tech or Pebble Sheen (I know Sheen is the most expensive and most comfortable). I am not crazy about aggregate and would mostly be doing it to change the color of the water.

• cmanley33
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks Scott. What does it cost to replaster a pool? Do most people say Dimond Brite is easier on the feet than Pebble tech or Pebble Sheen (I know Sheen is the most expensive and most comfortable). I am not crazy about aggregate and would mostly be doing it to change the color of the water.

• poolguynj
    12 years ago

I doubt your feet would know the difference between PS and DB. Your wallet would when the DB wears out.

Plastering costs vary by market location. Some just get in and get out, others provide added services like initial cure care, etc....

I charge anywhere from $8 to $16 a sq foot for plain plaster to Wet Edge's premium products for a simple resurface. If a chip out is needed, it costs more. But I also take care of the cure in total, brushing, chems.... Is it more than most of my competition? Yes, but I do more too. Most of them prefer to let a homeowner shoot them selves in the foot to relieve them of the warranty claims potential.

Scott

• cmanley33
    Original Author
    12 years ago

So the PT is supposed to last 25 years plus, right? Has it been around long enough to know it will hold up for 25 years? I guess I thought it was a relatively new product or maybe just new to me since I just started my pool build.

• poolguynj
    12 years ago

Yes, been around over 30

Scott