Return to the Pools & Spas Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Cantera coping Good idea or not

Posted by marlinman (My Page) on
Tue, Jan 25, 11 at 17:52

We are looking to do cantera as the coping to our new Spanish influenced pool. I have not seen this done much, is this a mistake. The pool will not be a salt water if that makes a difference.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Cantera coping Good idea or not

IMO I don't like it. Especially on a freeform pool. It starts to look notchy or choppy. I like the coping to flow with the shape of the pool. Another reason would be that the pieces are small and it starts to look like soldiers lined up along your pool.

o
RE: Cantera coping Good idea or not

Marlin,
First it would depend on where you live. I don't think it would handle freeze thaw to well as it is very pourus.

We have been installing cantera around pools for many years. There are many different colors and hardness of cantera. Some you can scratch with your finger nail, and others quite hard. Obviously you want the latter.
In an opposite opinion to Sceadu, cantera stone is very easily milled. So making custom radius pieces is one of the benefits. Also being able to mill many different profiles for the edge is also a benefit.

I do recommend sealing it, and keeping up on that. It is the only stone that I don't recommend using a salt system with, mainly because it is pourus.

I am doing a remodel right now that has custom cantera coping around it. It is 10years old, and a salt pool, and looks as good as when it went in. I dont believe they ever sealed it either.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Pools & Spas Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here