Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
twochicklets

Ivory Travertine Pavers

twochicklets
17 years ago

I just took some photos, before it got dark. Kind of messy, but you can get the idea:

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

Comments (60)

• lobstertail
    17 years ago

Wow! It looks great. Very good decision. Gee, with the tv, fireplace, kitchen & pool - who needs the house!? :) Oh yeah - the bathroom!

• connie_ohio
    17 years ago

Love the pictures. What is the cut out above the fireplace for? I think the whole set up looks great. It rained here so PB delayed oh well more time to plan.

• twochicklets
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Connie, it will have a door and house a t.v.

lobertail, well. there's always the pool........NOT!

• lorriekay
    17 years ago

Gorgeous. We have the travertine tiles 18X18 in our house.. they are the textured ones, not smooth.
    they are so slippery when wet. How can that work around a pool? I was thinking it would be so pretty to continue the travertine from inside the house to outside on the patio & surrounding pool deck but was concerned about slipping?

• florida_gal
    17 years ago

Strangely enough, our travertine pavers are less slippery when wet! They are smoother when dry, and they seen to become skid-proof when wet. Surprising, but true. We absolutely love them. They are different than indoor travertine in that they are natural unfilled marble, not polished or shiny.
    Here's a pic (again)!

• coolpool_2007
    17 years ago

HELP! We are in the process of making a final decision on tile, coping and decking materials. We selected a light travertine coping and decking with slate on the water line, spa and planter wall...We LOVE the look but are very nervous about the "slippery factor" on the deck.
    Have you run around outside yet?
    What do you think so far?
    What kind of travertine pavers did you use?

• twochicklets
    Original Author
    17 years ago

coolpool_2007,
    Did you see florida_gals post? She says it is less slippery when wet. We have walked on ours in the rain and they weren't slippery. We have unfilled travertine in our house and they aren't at all slippery. Nothing like ceramic tile which are slicker than ice when wet. Your pool sounds lovely, can't wait to follow your progress!
    TC

• florida_gal
    17 years ago

Coolpool-Get a sample of your travertine pavers and wet it, then try rubbing your foot on it. That's what we did. They also stay nice and cool, even when the sun is strong! I'm sure there are variations, but try yours out yourself and you will know for sure!
    Good Luck,
    Abby

• mdoceanblu
    17 years ago

florida_gal and two chicklets Very nice! OT but would anyone have any idea where to find or a link to unfinished Travertine(like your tile) Tables in the FL area. looking mainly for a kitchen nook round table. Have seen them in a few houses here in Vegas. One looked almost identical to your tile florida-gal. Wife has to have one :-) and the company that carried them here went under. Haven't had any luck searching. Thanks

• coolpool_2007
    17 years ago

Thanks! I am picking up four 16x16 tiles today and I will try them out! Did either of you (florida gal or two chicklets) get your travertine tiles from Mastertile? My pool guy thinks they may be better for the decking because they were designed to be installed around pools. I'll let you know what we deicde:)

• twochicklets
    Original Author
    17 years ago

coolpool_2007, ours are from Mexico, don't know the distributor. They are travertine pavers, made to go outside. They even use them for driveways. Much thicker than floor tile.

mdoceanblu, some companies make table bases, I suppose as a last resort you could DIY. Oh, I think your pook looks gorgeous. I love the colors and the shape, very soothing.

• florida_gal
    17 years ago

I have no clue where our pavers came from - our PB provided them for us. Mentioned something about a Turkish guy in a turban??
    Abby

• dischnell
    17 years ago

My pool is complete and I don't have travertine, but just a question out of curiosity (not related to anything that is going on above) ;)

I know travertine is a soft stone, does this cause problems when moving furniture around on the deck? Does it scratch easily? Like I said, just out of curiosity. You never know for future pools!

• mdoceanblu
    17 years ago

Thanks twochicklets. DIY is not an option here. Two left thumbs. LOL There is always eBay. Shipping can cost a small fortune We also thought about going the composite quartz top route. Finding someone to make those is just as hard. We put Silestone countertops throughout the new house with stone tilework and found matching outlet covers and beige boxes to replace the bright white ones the builder decided to install. Have to wait until after closing. Granite will be going on the future summer kitchen as we were told Silestone is not warrantied or recommended for outdoor use. That travertine is so classy looking around your pools. Wish we would have thought of that to compliment the inside but the pavers look like they will do fine. Sorry not meaning to hijack the thread. Beautiful pools Enjoy! :-)

• melissa-travertine
    17 years ago

Looks great.

Travertine pavers are the way to go. They have numerous advantages over brick and concrete paversand they are not as costly as they used to be.

If any of you are interested please visit our website at: www.wholesalemosaic.com

We are the biggest importers of travertine pavers in Florida and we have a lowest price guarantee in Florida.

Good luck

Melissa

P.S:
    Natural Stone Pavers are able to withstand extreme cold conditions and multiple freeze/thaw cycles. Their PSI ratings demonstrate a higher degree of resilience and durability in extreme conditions than concrete, brick or other outdoor paving alternatives.
    Natural Stone Pavers are also the perfect solution for tropical, humid climates. Not only are they able to withstand extreme heat without so much as a crack, their natural coolness provides a satisfying walking surface for bare feet. Plus, they naturally repel mold and mildew; so you will never have to fuss with messy bleach solutions.
    Durable: Natural Stone Pavers are stronger than poured concrete or asphalt, with no surface cracking.

Valuable: Natural Stone Pavers add value to your house through their visual appeal and durability. Your house will worth more.
    Reusable: Natural Stone Pavers can be laid, removed and replaced easily.
    Environmentally Friendly: Natural stone is a 100% natural-earth product containing no additives.

Beautiful...

Here is a link that might be useful: Guaranteed Lowest Prices for Travertine Pavers (Our Website)

• azdreamhome
    17 years ago

Melissa-Travertine: Are the "Roman" pavers on your site travertine also? Are they comparable in price to travertine? If not, what is the difference? Thanks!

• dreampool
    17 years ago

hey florida_gal, what color are your pavers? i love it. your pool looks awesome! we just signed the contract, so now I can really start looking at what i want.
    p.s. where in florida are you? i'm in miami.

• melissa-travertine
    17 years ago

Hi Azdreamhome,

The roman pavers on our website are actually ivory pavers, we just name them differently. And yes they are travertine as well.

As for the price, we do have the lowest price guarantee in Florida, 12x12 Roman (Ivory) Tumbled Travertine is $2.85 per sqft.

Let me know what you think.

www.wholesalemosaic.com

Here is a link that might be useful: Travertine Pavers Price List

• jcjr
    17 years ago

TC and Fl_gal, Why did you opt not to seal your pavers? I just got my installed and the distributor said that I should seal them if using them as a pool deck. Also what arguments are out there for salt erosion? Anyone out there have travertine pavers and using salt in their water? Do you have any issues with erosion or mold?

TC and FL_gal both your decks look awesome. Sorry for asking these questions on your thread but it seams that a lot of us need more info on these pavers.

• florida_gal
    17 years ago

Here are answers...

We were told sealing the pavers was optional. We didn't do it because they would always look dark - we like the way they look when they are dry, also, and would lose that effect.

Not sure of the color name, "autumn" was in it.

We are in Palm Beach County.

Good luck, and thanks for the kind words!
    Abby

• twochicklets
    Original Author
    17 years ago

We were told by the deck guy that we didn't need to seal it either. My deck is so new, so I can't speak about the salt yet. We did go with salt though, we plan to hose off the deck and diving board once a week and after very heavy use.

• airborne101
    17 years ago

TC and Fla gal, those pools are gorgeous. We have been debating what to put on the deck re-do. Vegas is so hot, that is a huge factor for us (me). DH, who will be doing the work, kind of liked the random stone look until I showed him your pools. He brought home a sample paver from Luckstone yesterday, I want randow sizes, it is 24 x 12 and gorgeous grey/tan sample. Unfortunately it is not that sunny here today and the paver felt warm, where the old kooldeck was cold. We may have to find a lighter color, but I think I am gonna get the look I want...... a big THANK YOU FOR POSTING THOSE PICTURES ! Barb

• gk5040
    17 years ago

Your pool looks beautiful. We are in the process of doing ours. They start in a few weeks and I am unsure whether to go with the ivory or noche color. What tile did you pick for the waterline? Also, what finish did you do inside the pool? Thanks.

Cindy

• twochicklets
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Hi gk5040 and welcome! We chose the ivory for 2 reasons, since it is lighter, it will be cooler and because we have ivory travertine in our house, so it all flows now.

Our waterline tile is noble tile peacock, in hindsight I wish we had chosen something slightly darker. That said, I agonized over the waterline tile and it ended up the very LEAST important element of our pool.

Our pool finish is durazzo french grey.

Here is a link that might be useful: noble tile

• arielitas_mom
    17 years ago

Melissa - it seems like travertine pavers likely can sell themselves through people's experiences and without any need for SPAM!!!!

Get off the forums - your input has not been solicited nor is it appreciated!!

• gk5040
    17 years ago

Did you ever post a picture of the pool completed? Would love to see it.

• twochicklets
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Hi gk5040,
    Here are some. I will post them on the gallery soon!
    TC
    {{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

• cliff_s
    17 years ago

Twochicklets:

Your stone work is beautiful and so is the deck work. I wish there was someone in our area Phoenix that could do such nice work. Most of the pool builders here hire the cheapest unskilled labor possible. They workmanship is between terrible and sloppy.

I am facing rebuilding my entire deck because it looks so bad. It came down to the fact the it will be cheaper to have the deck rebuilt than to face the court costs for a legal fight with the pool Builder(Shasta Pools). For those in the Phoenix area, this companies business practices boarder on fraud.

I hope to overlay my entire deck with travertine like your deck and have my Spa redone with the Travertine. It will be a large project because the edge of the pool has to be redone also. Not too happy with spending over $75,000 for a pool and having to add another $20,000 just to make it look decent.

Enjoy your pool it looks great.

Cliff s

• gk5040
    17 years ago

Thanks for the pics....very helpful....we hope to start ours in 3 weeks. I will post pics when done.

• houseful
    17 years ago

Cliff, I feel bad for you! Can you show us pics?

• chiefneil
    17 years ago

Cliff, are you in the North Scottsdale area by any chance?

• cliff_s
    17 years ago

I used to live in N. Scottsdale, now in Sun City West(Corte Bella).

Unfortunately I really don't anyway of posting pic's.

Cliff s

• chiefneil
    17 years ago

Sorry Cliff, I was going to recommend my landscaping guy if you were in Scottsdale. He does outstanding work but doesn't like to travel outside this area.

• cliff_s
    17 years ago

Here are some pic's of Shasta's fine work.

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

I think my grandkids could do a better job.

Cliff s

• txpoolowner
    17 years ago

twochicklets,

Your back yard is AMAZING! Can you tell us who did the pool/deck? What city are you in?

Thanks!

• mmhenson
    17 years ago

twochicklets:
    Where did you get the "basins". I've looked on line for them and can't find them. They are beautiful.
    Margaret

• twochicklets
    Original Author
    17 years ago

txpoolowner, thanks! We are in the Dallas area.

msmargaret, I don't know exactly where mine are from, but here is a link:
    http://www.phoenixprecastproducts.com/scupper.html

• txpoolowner
    17 years ago

twochicklets,

I am in Dallas too. I have not found a PB that will do the pavers. One builder told me they need to put a concrete base down for the pavers to sit on and it will be $25 a square ft. for decks. Two other builders told me they are not familiar with the product at all.

Do you know what you paid per ft.?
    Can you recommend your builder?

Thanks!

• twochicklets
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Hello txpoolowner. We bid out our project to 6 companies. To all 6 I stated that I wanted travertine pavers. Only 1 bid came back with what I wanted, 4 of them *redirected* me to stamped concrete and one bid brick pavers. I do know that our pool builder subbed the decking out to a guy named Adam. Our PB is Southernwind pools. Our pavers were 11 or 12 dollars/square foot(I think). They did not put down a concrete base, the pavers are set on sand.

• houseful
    17 years ago

Hey Cliff, I told my plaster guy about your situation. He wasn't surprised. He worked for Shasta for many years. Both he and my pool consultant quit their jobs with the big guys for precisely the reason you are complaining about.

So, are they willing to fix it?

• mommyniki
    17 years ago

Your pool is beautiful. I took the liberty and looked at your other pictures in your album. I LOVE your kitchen. That is my dream kitchen. I really like the idea of the chalkboard on the fridge.

• twochicklets
    Original Author
    17 years ago

thanks mommyniki! The kitchen to which you refer is not mine, though I wish! It belongs to an online friend of mine named Julie. Julie was a legend on the kitchen forum and her photos scrolled off the gallery. She allowed me to host them on my photo site so others could enjoy it. It is the favorite kitchen and inspiration to many of the *totally kitchen obsessed*.

• mmhenson
    17 years ago

twochicklets Thank you for the web site for the basins. It is exactly what I have been searching for. I didn't know they were called scuppers!
    I showed my husband your pool pictures, he wondered about changing our plans to yours!! See what inspiration you've started!!
    Thank you again.
    Margaret

• florida_dutch
    17 years ago

Hello twochicklets,

I really like your pool and particularly your deck. We were initially considering "gold" travertine, but it seems very "busy". We saw the "ivory" travertine in a store, today, and really liked it. It looks really nice in your pictures, too. A few questions:

- Did you seal the pavers or is it wet in the pictures? If it is wet, what does it look like when it is dry? Do you have a picture posted on this forum of the deck when it is dry?
    - Is your coping the same color as the pavers?
    - What size are the coping pieces?

Thanks.

• twochicklets
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Hi florida_dutch and thanks! Yes, the pavers in the photos on this thread are wet. I have my entire album posted on the gallery side, you can find it there. Our pavers are not sealed, and while they do look different dry, they are most definately not uniform I think that is the charm of natural stone. We have alot of different stone going on back there. The coping is called Leuders limestone. I don't know the size, it was all hand cut on site. It is a different stone than the travertine.

• tpeterman
    16 years ago

Hi twochicklets,

What are the stones on the wall? Is it the sides of travertine, or some other stone? We have pavers and coping , but not materials for a wall we are doing similar to yours.

Thanks

• twochicklets
    Original Author
    16 years ago

tpeterman,
    The arbor and the raised wall of the pool/spa are limestone as is the coping. We only have travertine on the deck. The waterline tile is ceramic. Hope this helps.
    TC

• evahartmann
    16 years ago

These pictures look amazing.

I have tried to post the pictures for our pool deck, however I wasn't able to. Not sure why.

We used the Ivory French Pattern Pavers in our project. They look phenomenal.

For any of you interested, we were very pleased with our experience with http://TravertineMart.com

They have great quality materials and the lowest prices we could locate after 3 months of research. Moreover very professional and extremely helpful. Highly suggest them to anyone here.

Good luck.

Eva

Here is a link that might be useful: http://TravertineMart.com

• newhoustonpool
    12 years ago

Hi twochicklets,

Just wondering if you could provide an update on how well your travertine pavers have held up with your SWG pool. We are planning on travertine coping and decking but can't decide on a SWG or not. I really like the idea of the SWG and those that ave them swear by them. I have read so many things on both sides of the argument with travertine. Seal or not to seal. Salt will damage the travertine. Salt from the pool will not damage travertine.

Any update and recommendations would be appreciated.

Thanks,

David