Return to the Pools & Spas Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
should I be happy with hp results

Posted by llama (My Page) on
Thu, Jan 13, 11 at 16:53

Just started heating the new pool with the heat pump (rheem 6300ti) 18,000 gal, central Florida. Got the water up to 85 in a week just running it 8 hours aday. Outside temp 40s nite low 70s day. Last 2 days lows in low 30s high only 51 today. Recovered only 3 degrees in 8 hours today. Is it worth running it on these cold days? Is this normal heating for a heat pump? thanks Jeff

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: should I be happy with hp results

Jeff, Are you using a solar cover? This is very important in keeping the heat. Your heat pump seems to be running fine. My heat pump is 109k BTU and I get a 1 deg rise every 28 mins, however my pool is only 6k gals.

o

Seems find to me. Often times in colder weather you need to extend the pump run time to allow the heat pump to recover heat.

o

What brentr and racket said are very relevant.

A solar blanket helps by reducing evaporation. More heat is lost off the surface this way at night than anything. Without it, your taking 2 steps forward, 1 step back with an occasional 2 back.

Cooler days have less heat in the air for the HP to capture so it works less efficiently. Cooler but still sunny days also tend to have less humidity also, again reducing a system's efficiency.

Free form pools and solar blankets are a PITA. For these pools, solar rings seem to work well enough to keep most of the heat in. They aren't perfect but they are easy to work with.

Scott

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Pools & Spas Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here