Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
six_is_enough

Replastering a brand new pool

Six-Is-Enough
12 years ago

Completed the plaster in our brand new gunite pool/spa and the color is completely wrong. We used CLI Sunstone in Venetian Slate but the color appears as dark as Black Onyx. The pool builder has acknowledged the problem and agreed to replaster. They are proposing to install a new layer of plaster over the existing plaster. The plaster installer told us this will make it "look like an old pool" because the fittings will be recessed. We are concerned that we have a brand new pool (we haven't even swam in it yet!) that will look "old" and already have 2 coats of plaster on it. We plan to live here for many, many years, so we are also concerned about what will happen when we need to replaster in the future.

We are first-time pool owners, so this is all new to us. Is this our only course of action for repair or are there other/better options?

Comments (10)

• poolguynj
    12 years ago

It wouldn't look like an old pool with the second layer. They would chip down at the tile line and at the fittings.

Scott

• Six-Is-Enough
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thank you for the info. The plaster company said they would do this but they are also the ones that said it wouldn't look "new" around the fittings. Is this the better option versus chipping it all out and starting over with 1 layer of plaster?

So if they put the second layer of plaster on now, what does that mean for when we need to replaster the next time due to age? Will they do a third layer, chip it all out, or what? Are there extra costs or issues involved with chipping it out?

• poolguynj
    12 years ago

A chip out is extra labor to do and clean up. A third layer is, IMHO, a bit more than I like to see but certainly not unprecedented.

What is unusual is the plaster man's comment about you new pool looking like an old pool. An old pool looks like an old pool. A renovated old pool looks like a new pool. A new pool will look like a new pool.

Scott

• MiaOKC
    12 years ago

Six, thanks for asking this question as I have been wondering as well. We've been speaking to contractors about a replaster to renovate our 35+ year-old-pool in the house we just bought, and all want to sandblast and presumably only chip down at tile line and fittings, no complete chip out. No one has really been direct in answering the question "If we do this now and agree to add a second layer of plaster for $15k without a complete chip out, when this plaster needs to be redone in 7-10-15 years, is a third layer of plaster going to require a complete chip out at somewhere much north of $15k, like $25k?"

It seems like there must be some advantage to having the complete chip out up front - especially if it was the fault of the PB. If it's a $10K mistake and they put a second coat on now, have they just passed a $10K problem onto you for the future re-plaster?

Wonder if anyone facing third-layer re-plaster experience could chime in with their thoughts. Some might feel it's a pay-now or pay-later type thing, you pay it all in the end, (like $15K for a straight re-plaster, $25K for re-plaster with chip out, doesn't matter which you do first, it's all $40k at the end) I like to know what I'm up against. Like right now we both have good jobs so could easier save up for the $25k but in 10 years, who knows?

• poolguynj
    12 years ago

A second layer doesn't make for a shorter life. That being said, going from a plaster type finish to a high aggregate like PT would need a chip out. It would also need a bond coat to help reduce delamination risks.

A 3rd layer has a significant delamination risk and any areas that did form delamination blisters would form a very thick spot of plaster material, one that would show as a different shade for a couple few years until it fully cured.

Scott

• ncrealestateguy
    12 years ago

If my pool, I ask the PB to remove all of old plaster. They have water pressure wands that do a nice quick job of it and it leaves a good rough finish for the new plaster to adhere to.
    IMO, take the plaster installers warning about it not looking exactly right if all they do is chip out around the nozzles. Thats not even the half of it. What about the seam where the plaster meets the water tile?

• PRO
    Aqua-Link Pools and Spas
    12 years ago

To get a true adherence to the the shell you will want to strip it. I've seen a couple of pools where they put the Multi-Coat bond coat on the old plaster and a few spots of the new plaster came off a couple of years later. Now I know also that in different parts of the country you are limited by what crews can do and sometimes the bond coat is the only way that is feasible to do it. On the other hand if the plaster company has experience at stripping the old plaster I would do that. Even if they do not strip pools all the time they can rent an air compressor of sufficient power and air chisels with a couple of guys and they can chip it out and haul it off. The cost would be the cost of the rental and a day day and a half of labor.

• poolguynj
    12 years ago

I've plaster delaminate from stripped and new concrete, and existing plaster. The bond coat is pretty standard prior to any plastering and is what keeps it stuck firmly to the surface. If the old plaster is in good shape but just worn from years of use or was the wrong color, and a 2nd layer doesn't already exist, its fine to go over the 1st layer.

Scott

• pitapool
    12 years ago

Our pool was just recently remodeled, which included replastering. We chose the white plaster. Within 10 days of completion, we have delamination on one side of the pool about 2 inches below the tile. One person from the company came out and agreed that it needs to be fixed and offered to "patch it and you won't even know it was patched." I'm concerned that there may be other signs of delamination. The "crack" is 11 inches long. Should I request to have them drain the pool to look and perhaps ask for it to be replastered? Any advice? By the way, I have not heard back from anyone and it's been 7 days since they were notified.

• poolguynj
    12 years ago

What was done? A remodel is a generic term. Be specific.

Scott