Return to the Pools & Spas Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Empty Pool

Posted by spage1 (My Page) on
Tue, Jan 4, 11 at 16:39

We have an inground pool with liner that is 9 years old. We had several small leaks in the liner and a large one where the underwater light was. We had them repaired and the repairman had to wear a wet suit to work on the light. A couple of days later we started losing water and noticed a large rip about 1 foot away from the drain. Totally unrepairable. All the water drained out. I have 2 questions.
#1. Could the guy in wet suit have caused the rip at the drain? I know anything is possible but is it likely.
#2. We have had an estimate to replace the liner and we are now thinking we want to wait til spring to replace the liner. My question is will it hurt the frame and cost more to repair and replace the liner if not done sooner?
thanks in advance for your suggestions and replies.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Empty Pool

Liners need air temps of at least 60. When liners are measured, the manufacturers make them a little bit smaller to ensure there are no wrinkles. As the pool fills, the weight will stretch the vinyl into position without wrinkles.

It it possible the man in the wet suit caused it? A cold 9 year old line is likely dry and has lost elasticity. It's possible that his presence contributed but given it's age, it certainly wasn't likely to have been his fault.

Old liners don't like being 1/2 empty or more. They shrink.

If your temps are below 60, you will have to wait. If additional issues occur, there really isn't much you can do about it until things warm up.

Scott

o

I agree- it was probably time for a new liner. Keeping your pool chemistry correct goes a long way towards preserving a liner as well as a cover in the off season. I replaced my liner this season and didn't realize how brittle it had become. Decided to change over to saltwater + a winter cover. Far less maintenance and chemicals. Might want to think about it. Need to wait for spring but perhaps you can get a good deal by signing up early with a deposit during the slow season when cash flow is low.

o

Doesn't sound like it's the individuals fault. The diagnosis of the liner having lost elasticity sounds accurate to me as well.

o

The only downside of waiting is that there maybe additional floor work you will have to pay for. Because of the water going under the liner.I would go ahead and set it up for replacement make sure it is a warm day when it's installed.So far I have not seen any price increases from the liner companies but they are comeing so you may save some money by preordering your liner.

o

Unless the OP can get the original measurement, getting an accurate in water measure may be dicey if there has been shrinkage and the corner drew in away from the walls.

Dumping the remainder to get a more accurate measure with the liner removed would expose the walls and bottom for a longer time.

I would recommend waiting. This will protect the hopper and floor,

Scott

o

Scott you have a good point but my only worry would be floating and takeing out the floor....

o

Hence my last statement in my first response. There really isn't anything you can do but wait, hope, and offer a prayer.

Scott

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Pools & Spas Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here