Return to the Pools & Spas Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
deck-o-seal is separating

Posted by jvmagic (My Page) on
Mon, Jan 18, 10 at 16:34

from the coping!! I just had the deck-o-seal done about 1.5 yrs ago and there is about 1/8" separation of the deck-o-seal and the coping......I doubt this is normal right?
What can I do?

thanks in advance

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: deck-o-seal is separating

Can you post a pic??? I am curious to see.....

o

Not as a rule. It usually lasts substantially longer, 5 being the norm in my area. It's possible the joint was filled with sand too high, resulting in a somewhat thinner than usual layer or there may have been some movement.

Is the opening all the way around or intermittent as in a couple feet here then several feet ok?

Scott

o

I took some photos today and the deck-o-seal seems to have expanded a bit since I last reported this.
Is this normal?

Thanks again,

~jv

deck-o-seal

deck-o-seal II

Photobucket

o

Wow is that about a 1/2" gap between the coping and the deck???

o

What part of the country do you live in? Could be your deck has a lot of movement due to soil expansion and contraction.
Fighting Irish. It is an 1/2" expansion joint. That is the norm out here in socal.

o

Our dec-o-seal was called mastic and it was 2.5 years old when we replaced it. It separated like what your photos are showing. That was our old house in Keller, Texas.

o

Thanks all for you comments. I'm in Northern California (San Jose; 95118)so I guess the earthquakes will do this right? I don't hear others complain though which is what makes me wonder???????

o

The mastic/vulcum/Deck-O-Seal may have been installed during your warm time of the year. As such, the deck had expanded, leaving a smaller gap. Removing and replacing it is prudent to keep water from running inside.

If you have an expansive, clay rich soil, the water can cause this soil to expand.and then contract when it dries, creating voids below. Voids or air pockets, mean the soil isn't supporting the shell. This can cause excess stress on the shell and result in expensive to repair cracks if left unchecked for a period of time.

Other bad things that can happen is water may be wicking under the coping, deteriorating the mortar causing loosening of the coping , tile thin set deterioration and tiles popping.

Basically what I am saying is that I think it is in your best interest to get it fixed very soon. The above concerns can cost as much as 10X the cost of resealing, and that isn't a cheap repair. I charge about $12-$15/foot for a turnkey job.

Scott

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Pools & Spas Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here