Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
qdognj

Gas service for pool

17 years ago

Had to settle for a 325,000 btu heater because the service to my 3 year old home could not support 400000...The utility just called me as i asked a simple question if the service could handle the 325k btu...I was told that as long as my pool heater didn't go on at same time asa either of my furnaces AND 1 of the 2 hot water heaters, i "should" be ok...If i exceed 420k btus(pool heater is 325k,each furnace is 75k, and each Hot water heater is 76k,not to mention gas dryer of 33 and gas stove of 35k)i would "blow" the restrictor off at the street and i'd have no gas til it wasa fixed by utility at my expense..Or i could have then for 2-3k increase my service...Not sure what to do,lol

Comments (11)

• 17 years ago

Where are you located? Southern California Gas Company will increase your meter size for free. Also, most residential construction I have seen is supplied with steet pressure (typically 20 to 60 psi) up to the regulator typically located just before the meeter. After the regulator the pressure is typically about 0.3 to 0.5 psi, which should not be a problem since you want to connect the gas pipe for your heater directly off the line from your meeter.

Something really sounds fishy. I would call them again and see if they will come out to discuss a possible change in your service for free and/or tell them you will be digging near your meter (and anywhere else that makes sence) and you want them to identify the underground pipes, which is typically a free service. If at all possible try to meet the guy when he comes out to identify the pipes and see what he has to say.

Here is a link that might be useful: Pool Forum (my blog)

• 17 years ago

This sounds odd to me too. We build a pool in central NJ and the gas company replaced our meter for free. (trust me their getting their money back with my monthly bills!!!) I would call and tell them you need to get a higher flow meter due to a gas pool heater.

I would also ask the PB. I'm sure they will tell you what normally occurs.

• 17 years ago

Ask for a dual pressure gas system.
    You'll need to provide a pound to ounce regulator at the pool heater, have them relocate your current pound to ounce regulator to the home inlet, and in the spot of your existing regulator use a pound to pound regulator before the new gas meter. In my area this costs 350 from our local utility company.
    2 pounds through the meter will easily cover your demand.
    They're trying to sell you on a low pressure system and a pipe size upgrade. This isn't necessary with a dual pressure system.
    I'm sure you probably have gas service converted to low pressure at the street before the 250k meter that they most likely installed at your home.
    I use this system on all of my pools because the available BTU's are almost tripled by the 2psi running through the meter servicing the home.
    I'm curious where did your pool builder tap into your existing low pressure line, at the home or at the meter?

See ya,
    Kelly

• 17 years ago

Kelly (or others),

My gas meter is on the opposite side of the house from where I want to place my pool equipment. In the attic, near where I want to place the equipment, I have a gas furnace and a gas hot water tank.

Any chance of being able to run a line off of the tank or the furnace? Or is the required pressure too different, or not enough flow?

Thanks,
    Steve

• 17 years ago

The larger the BTU's and the greater distance require larger diameter gas pipe. A 400,000 will work on 1-1/4" for about 70', 1-1/2" for about 200'.
    Your furnace probably has 3/4" gasline.

• 17 years ago

quote" Any chance of being able to run a line off of the tank or the furnace? "quote

None, the servicing pipe size is to small.

quote" Or is the required pressure too different, or not enough flow? "quote

Your pressure is the same for the pool heater and your household appliances, always measured in ounces per foot. not enough flow is absolutely correct.

poolexpert, I disagree with this statement.

quote" A 400,000 will work on 1-1/4" for about 70', 1-1/2" for about 200'. "quote

Today's lo-nox heaters are very very sensitive to gas pressure. I've ran 2" gas pipe for less than 100 feet and still had to do a dual pressure system because there wasn't enough gas pressure to satisfy the pool heaters need.
    My suggestion is to have your builder install a pound (PSI)to ounce (OZI) regulator at the pool heater and get your utility company to install a dual pressure system.

It'll convert 40 PSI to 2 PSI through the meter, then your existing regulator (pounds to ounces) will convert the 2 PSI to 4 OZI at the house and your builder will already have the pound to ounce regulator at the pool heater.

See ya,
    Kelly

• 17 years ago

We discovered we are sharing a gas line with the neighbor, it "t's" between our property. We will have to not only "pay" to have our own line run to the street, with all the added gas features to our project we must upgrade to a 1M commercial gas meter. We have to pay for all of it about $6K. The gas company only pays for gas equipment upgrades for "necessary" appliances, i.e.furnace, cooking, but not luxury upgrades, ie outdoor bbq, pool, etc.

• 17 years ago

Thanks for the responses...

I did notice that the gas lines throughout my house look relatively small.

I'm planning on the Pentair 400k btu heater, so if I'm correct, btu/1000 = scfh, so I need 400 scfh, but at what pressure? 2 oz/sq" ?

If I put my equipment where I want to, I'm going to have to about 100' of gas line... just want to make sure I only have to do this once...

I think I can calculate the required line size, given the flow and pressure requirements.

The dual pressure system makes sense to me... I'll call my gas company tomorrow to discuss with them.

• 16 years ago

We are in the same situation. Our gas service is 1/2" pipe with a 425,000 BTU restriction. Our pool heater is not connected yet, but it is a 400,000 BTU system. Our gas company told us that we need to downgrade to a 325,000 BTU heater or pay $2,000-$3,000 to upgrade our service to 1" pipe. The meter also needs to be upgraded, but they do that for free.

The dual pressure system sounds like it might work for us. Has anybody else had any success getting their gas company and pool builder to install a dual pressure system? Any suggestions on how to convince them to install it? How is the system working for you?

• 16 years ago

I'm OVERWHELMED with the high prices posted here for gas service upgrades.

Although I'm not a utility company engineer I disagree with your utility companies decision. I've seen 100's of 1/2" gas lines at high pressure supply a dual pressure system with the three regulators I described in an earlier post. I had a pool last summer that suffered low gas delivery even with the dual pressure system. They came out and changed the spring in the high pressure regulator to a 5lb spring and it solved my pool heaters problem. My buyers gas run was in excess of 280 feet. The pound to ounce regulator at the heater wasn't being delivered enough pressure with the normal 2lb setup.

This is a very simple setup for a utility company. They should certainly be compensated for it, but at a fair price not a highway robbery price just because they know the buyer must pay to have what he needs for his high btu pool heater.

just my .02

See ya,
    Kelly

• 16 years ago

Southern California Gas Company upgraded us for free. Why wouldn't they - they are all about us using more gas and them making more money...

Qdogj how did this work out? Who is your gas company?