Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cbintcliffe

Recommendations for Contemporary style pool, Cypress, TX

Chris
11 years ago

Hi all! Some great info on here. Been through the list of recommended builders in Cypress, TX (Houston) and have a list. However, from looking through various posts and sites it seems most of the pools in this area are lagooon style pools. I'm looking for something a little more contemporary, more along a rectangular or possibly L shape.

The following companies all come highly recommended but does anyone know if any of them specialize in more contemporary designs or if there are other companies I should consider, or if this is a moot point and it's irrelevant if they mainly build lagoon style pools?

Atlantis Pools
Cypress Custom Pools
Hipp Pools
The Pool Man
Perry Pools

Comments (25)

• womanowned
    11 years ago

It should be irrelevant, but ask to see photos of contemporary pools they have done

• Chris
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks Womanowned, I will do that. I was just curious if anyone had any specific recommendations.
    We are still trying to get an idea of what we really want at the moment and I think it would help us to speak to a pool builder that has experience with contemporary pools to help us narrow down our options and find out where we would be budget wise.

• womanowned
    11 years ago

I am experienced in them, but I cannot solicit business here.

• goastros
    11 years ago

one more to suggest is
    Great Escape.

I am also in Cypress and have not stared on the pool at my home. Just had initial conversation with couple of them.
    Let me know how your project goes.

• Chris
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks goastros, I've checked out their pictures and their along the right lines so I'll do some more research on them. Let me know how you get on.
    So Great Escape and Best Backyard Pools have been added to the potentials list.

I'm going to do a bit more research about the other things I want to do (outdoor kitchen and some landscaping and lighting) so I can figure out; what I can do myself, what I need to do in one go and what I can plan for now but add later. I may not be able to afford the outdoor kitchen at the moment but at least if I know what I want to put in I can make sure I can plumb in any lines whilst I'm doing the decking to save having to do it later.

• goastros
    11 years ago

You are welcome cbink. please let me know how your project goes, as I too would also be looking to put the pool soon. You can e-mail me directly if you like. I am in Park at Arbordale subdivision and there are neighbors who have used - Cypress custom pool, Poolman & Great Escapes.

womanowned, do you also have a PB business in the area?

• huskyridor
    11 years ago

quote" womanowned, do you also have a PB business in the area? "quote

Yes she does, I believe the name is Best Pools.
    She's also a great local contractor, I wish we competed for projects with more quality builders like herself and the others mentioned on the list.

See ya,
    Kelly

• Chris
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Kelly beat me to it. I believe she's Best Backyard Pools.
    I believe Kelly to be Atlantis Pools. I don't believe any of the other pool companies mentioned post on here regularly though I may be wrong in that assumption.

I've done a bit of research on Great Escape and can't find out much on them other than they appear to have been around since 2002 - anyone shed any light on their reputation? The thing that concerns me with them (though I do quite like what I can see of their work) is that they appear to do a multitude of different things including staging, interior modelling, bathrooms as well as pools, outdoor kitchens etc... I think I'd be inclined to go with a company that specializes in pools and decks

I only want to get 3-4 quotes max really (don't want to waste my or the PB's time) so I'm going to do a bit more thinking on it before I call any of them up. Just want to ensure I know I'm getting a fair price and see the range of options that each present.

This post was edited by cbink on Wed, Feb 6, 13 at 14:12

• goastros
    11 years ago

Thanks Kelly & Cbink.
    One basic question to Kelly/Womanowned - does it really matter when you are building a pool in terms of cost for the consumer? is it cheaper to build the pool in winter than in spring/summer? do your companies offer any financing??

• lhil
    11 years ago

I live in Cypress as well and looking for a PB that builds a more contemporary style, which is hard to find. I'd love to hear about your experiences and who your final choice will be. Please keep us posted. Thanks!

• womanowned
    11 years ago

As far as being less expensive to build in the winter vs the summer, my honest answer is really "no". My cost to build the pools do not change for me one iota whether it is winter or summer. Actually, it typically costs me more to build in the winter, because the rain requires extra material. What you might get in the winter is less waiting time to build your pool. Don't forget the time it takes to get HOA approval before you can start. Some of the neighborhoods have 4-6 weeks to get back to you with an approval.

• womanowned
    11 years ago

As far as being less expensive to build in the winter vs the summer, my honest answer is really "no". My cost to build the pools do not change for me one iota whether it is winter or summer. Actually, it typically costs me more to build in the winter, because the rain requires extra material. What you might get in the winter is less waiting time to build your pool. Don't forget the time it takes to get HOA approval before you can start. Some of the neighborhoods have 4-6 weeks to get back to you with an approval.

• Chris
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Got my first design back, pretty happy with it. Going to tweak a few things but it's a great starting point. After visiting a few pools in our neighborhood we decided we really did want a slide so are trying to blend a contemporary and lagoon style together in order to accommodate the slide without it looking too out of place. So a bit of a U-turn away from a geometric contemporary pool but that's why you take time to make these decisions, right?! Lol!

This post was edited by cbink on Sat, Jun 1, 13 at 15:32

• Chris
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Modified the design to switch the positions of the spa and the fire pit. Pretty happy with it. Have another builder coming round tomorrow so I'll see what they come up with but really liking this design so far.

Modified the design to switch the spa and the fire pit - much prefer it this way around. I was going to put the fire pit on the main patio area but I like it in a separate area - need to drop it down to grade though and probably make the patio around it a bit bigger but the basic layout is right for us I think.

This post was edited by cbink on Mon, Jun 3, 13 at 22:16

• Chris
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Another view of the revised layout.

• Chris
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Womanowned - yes you've got me there, it's not longer contemporary, although its a little different than the average lagoon pool round our way which was the intent.

We looked at contemporary designs and whilst we loved them in isolation they just didn't sit that well for our yard shape and we decided we wanted a slide for the kids so the design got modified!

We're pleased though and looks like all is in order and should be going ahead within the next week or so.

• goastros
    10 years ago

very nice pics, cbink. who did you finally go with?
    Are the trees and firepit included in your quote.

My neighbor just got theirs done with Perry pools. They seem extremely happy.

• Chris
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks goastros!
    The trees aren't included in the quote but the planters are and so is the fire pit.

We met with a few companies but decided to go with Grand Isle Pools. We've been to quite a few of their pools in the area and a couple have been built in our neighborhood by him and all of them are very nice and the owners are all happy. Also we just gelled really well with them and they understood what we wanted and were trying to achieve. A couple of the companies I had come round, which I won't name, were very set on building their idea of the pool not ours which isn't what you want when you're dropping significant sums on a pool.

My wife actually knows the owners of Perry pools and I hear they do good work.

Have you got any further with your plans?

I have one last thing to sort out on the finances which will probably take 1-2 weeks now and then we're all set to start the process!

I'll drop a few of the specs in here too:

It's 38'x24' free form approx. 25,000 gallons
    3.5' - 7' depth
    8.5 ton moss rock waterfall with gunite slide
    1350 sqft stamped overlay decking (1100 sqft new decking, 250sqft overlay on existing decking).

This post was edited by cbink on Thu, Jun 20, 13 at 17:55

• goastros
    10 years ago

Thanks Cbink for your reply.
    Keep us updated with your progress.
    As per my project, just when I thought I had enuff money, I found out I had a sizeable chunk to give to IRS. SO I will probably wait more.
    but you have designed bigger pool with large deck area than what I have my designed for mine.
    Plus I was going to get only from 3.5 to 5 deep.

• Chris
    Original Author
    10 years ago

So our HOA docs have been submitted just waiting on approval before we can finally start digging! Everything else is in order though we've ended up spending more than I had originally intended by a fairly significant margin (whoops!)

Can't believe we're finally doing this. Very excited and living through all of the other build threads at the moment! In the meantime, more waiting...

• poolprincess
    10 years ago

It's going to look nice! Good luck cbink! We had to go though our HOA- its annoying since its your own backyard!

• Chris
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Yes it is, isn't it poolprincess!
    Can't complain about our HOA too much though, they're actually pretty good and don't go getting stupid about things like some do, just keep the neighborhood in good general shape.

The upside of the wait is that we've had a lot of rain this past few days so I'm glad we're not sat waiting on the weather to dig as we could have been sat waiting all week given the forecast!

• Chris
    Original Author
    10 years ago

They're due out today to mark utilities and then mark up the pool!! Whoop whoop! Still waiting on HOA approval but it will be nice to see it laid out on the ground!

• Chris
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Pool scheduled to be dug 8/3!! :)

I'm going to start a new construction thread as the title is a bit misleading since it's no longer a contemporary design.