Return to the Pools & Spas Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Request for advice redoing the deck around fiberglass pool

Posted by keithw (My Page) on
Sun, Jan 15, 12 at 14:39

I have a fiberglass pool that I installed myself. My pool has a raised concrete deck around 3/4 of it.. The deck is pretty solid and has been down for 5-6 years. It terminates about 1/4" below the rim of the pool and angles down into yard. I was looking to improve the look of the pool and really like flagstone and cantilevered edges. I have a quarry nearby where I can get it and was thinking about doing a cantilevered flagstone deck that would extend over the lip of the pool by about 1-2". Originally I was thinking that I would just pry up each of of the concrete pads that I poured around the pool, and pour new pads flush with the pool and flagstone over them. But after reflection, it seem a waste to destroy/remove the pads there already just to pour new ones. So I have questions:

A. Can I mortar down flagstone over the existing pads without removing them? They are currently textured concrete (cobblestone pattern) painted with a Xylene based cement paint. Would they need to be treated to have the mortar stick to them?

B. I might have to raise some portions of the existing deck before applying flagstone. Can I pour a thin layer of some type of special cement mix over the existing deck too work from? Should I just do this to the whole deck to make it consistent? If I can do this, what special mortar would I use? Any special prep?

C. How would one prep the lip of the pool to adhere better to the flagstone. I was thinking drill holes in the lip, sand it down, and comb epoxy over it to give it texture. After the flagstone is on should I caulk underneath the lip where the flagstone meets the fiberglass?

D. Other other advice?

I am planning to build a cinder block frame around the side that is currently wood decking and then filling it with compacted road base and them doing the flagstone over that. Here some pics as well

Current deck. It might look like individual stones but it is solid with a patten pressed into it.
Photobucket
Cement pad is finished.

Here is the look that I am going for:
Photobucket

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Request for advice redoing the deck around fiberglass pool

You are not going to be able to pour a thin amount of cement to level it off, it won't work, concrete needs to be at least 2 inches thick. You could try drilling holes in existing concrete and installing tap cons, binding them with wiring, and pouring a thin layer, but it's a lot of work, and high risk!
I think your first Idea "prying up existing slabs" is your best bet.
Other than that, you will probably have to put a sleeve in for the skimmer.
If you don't care about a higher deck, pour a new deck at least two inches thick all the way around, be sure to include expansion joints if needed, but where you have a fiberglass pool and it hasn't popped out of the ground you probably don't need expansion joints. Then put new stones right over the new pour.

Here is a link that might be useful: Pool Service

o

Poolservicema, the advice is good but putting your homepage on is not allowed. The management looks at that as an unpaid advertisement and a violation of the terms of service those in the industry have to respect.

Scott

o

I've taken your advice and decided to bust up the existing pads and pour them all over. Probably best anyways as I am finding voids under the old pads.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Pools & Spas Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here