Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sheelermt

New Pool in AZ - Help with Design/Quote (Sanity Check)

sheelermt
11 years ago

I'm sorry - I know I only come around when I need you!

I've used GW forums for complete renovation of home and pool in So Cal a few years back. Now I am looking to build a pool in AZ. Have first quote and would like to get help and advice regarding what's really needed (good equipment etc) versus nice to have. I'm on a budget and really want a good size pool with baja shelf to swim and play, less concerned about the pool design add ons (waterfalls and trying to make it look like I'm not in the desert). Design is geometric (basic rectangle 15x30). My complication is removal of rocks, requiring fill, leveling of the lot prior to excavation for pool. PB has taken into consideration that pre-work of lot will be done prior to them coming in to do pool dig.

Quote is as follows:

Engineering & Permit:
*Custom Engineered Plan for Structural Integrity
*Permit Approval Sub-Total $843.60

Excavation: Backhoe
*Backhoe Excavation Equipment
*Forming of Pool/Spa & Pre-Grading for Deck Sub-Total $1,791.25
Plumbing:
58 ft. of Main Plumbing Run
*Vacuum Line & Skimmer/ Main Drain Line for Suction on Filter Pump
*4 Surface Returns
*Automatic Waterleveler and install Vac-Breaker Sub-Total $1,619.56

Steel Reinforcing:
*Steel Reinforcing per Engineering Requirements
*Steel every 6" OC Vertical for Extra Reinforcement Sub-Total $1,394.28

Electrical:
*Total Feet of Electrical Conduit includes, 228 ft of 3/4 in.
*GFCI Breaker for 1-400W Clear Light(s) with 45 ft. of Conduit
*E-Command Control Sub-Panel (Hayward)
*Electrical Connection of Pump(s) & Light(s) Sub-Total $2,768.77

Equipment: Vacuum & Return
*525 sqft Cartridge Filter & Variable Eco-Star Filter Pump (Hayward)
*$200 Variable Speed Pump Rebate from SRP/APS -$200.00
*Navigator Suction Vacuum Cleaner (Hayward)
*Aerator & Floating Chlorinator
*Pool Skimmer (Hayward)
*Heat Pump 108-11 OK BTU's(Hayward) Sub-Total $6,274.05

Shotcrete:
*12" Perimeter Beam with 6-8" Walls and Floor of Shotcrete
*Depths 3 ft. to 6 ft.
*Initial Water-Cure of Shell by BUYER Sub-Total $5,757.79

Tile/Waterfall :
*Waterline Tile for Pool/Spa from Standard Selection
*Tile Face of Back and Side Walls to match Waterline Tile Sub-Total $2,148.13

Decking:
*1 078 sqft of Pavers
*Sleeves Included:
*Umbrella/Volleyball (2) Sub-Total $8,379.75
Interior Finish Mini Pebble Standard
& Start-Up:
*Mini Pebble Standard Material for Pool Interior
*Acid Wash & Clean-Up
*Operator's Orientation
*1 Free Filter Cleaning 6 months -1 year after start-up Sub-Total $4,179.46

Total Before Sales Tax: $34,956.65
Applicable Sales Tax: $ 1,837.78
Total With Sales Tax: $ 36,794.43

Options:
*Upgrade Cleaning System to In-Floor Cleaning with 20 In-Floor Heads (Paramount) Adds $2,785.76
*Upgrade Pool Light to ColorLogic LED Adds $386.48
*Upgrade Control to P-4 Control Sub-Panel with Salt Chlorinating Cell Adds $797.67
*Add Ultra-Violet Sanitation System (Trident) Adds $743.51
*Upgrade Pavers to Travertine or Artistic Pavers Adds $2,460.30
*Add 145' of 5' Wrought Iron Fence and 2 Self-Closing Self-Latching Gates & Door Alarm Adds $4,061.69

Comments (6)

• rockybird
    11 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

I live in Phoenix and used Supreme Pools. I was very happy with their work. I am going to use them to build a water feature in the front of the house also. I interviewed a lot of companies but James (the owner) and I just clicked. His first visit, before I hired him, we right away started planning out what design would work best. In the 100+ degree heat, we used sticks to map out a pool on the ground. James drove me to PV to see another mcm home with a gorgeous pool. He brought a designer over later, but I ended up using an architect to plan the pool (Erik Koss). I was worried that I couldnt afford James, as I know he does a lot of high end custom pools, but his bid was the most competitive. I ended up putting in a 60 foot long lap pool with a hot tub, in floor cleaning system, etc.

I changed a lot of things during the build - length, depth, hot tub heater size, etc.

Landscaping is not done, and house is in middle of remodel, but here is a link to pics:

http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/load/pools/msg0423534826081.html

Here is his website:

http://www.supremepools.net/

It might be worth getting a bid from him.

• sheelermt
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks rockybird! I love your pool. It definitely compliments the lines of the house (which I also love). I am a Dwell fanatic with champagne taste and beer budget. :)

• sheelermt
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks rockybird! I love your pool. It definitely compliments the lines of the house (which I also love). I am a Dwell fanatic with champagne taste and beer budget. :)

• natural_one
    11 years ago

I'd ask for some more details on the plumbing with respect to sizes.

I dont love combined skimmer/md suction but if you're going with a vac you will be fine.
    I'd suggest 2.5" MD/SK suction, 2" vac line, and 2" return line to at least a 1.5" loop, and probably 5 returns. Your pump will love you for it.

I'd ask for some details on how they are building the steps down to the lower deck. Outer block retainer or just dirt built up? Also, what type of pavers? As Im sure you know, concrete pavers are extremely hot in the AZ summers. I'd look into a light colored Acrylic if travertine is out of the budget.

I'd highly highly recommend you have them waterproof (thoroseal at a minimum) the interior of the pool on the raised (out of ground) areas of the pool. Interior finishes (plaster, pebble etc) are not waterproof, nor is the shotcrete. You will experience efflorescence overtime as water passes through and leaves deposits. It's unsightly and pain to clean.

Design is all personal preference, but I may extend your shallow end a little, as it appears the majority of your pool is deep. By shallowing your pool by altering the brake point, you should adjust your average depth, inturn altering your interior area and saving a little money (not a lot). I'd also recommend 9" step risers in the pool as opposed to the standard 12". I dont know how our industry gets away with 12" risers.

Id recommend getting your specs narrowed down tightly, and getting a couple bids based on those specs. We have a great Home and Garden show this coming weekend at the AZ State Fairgrounds where you can get more info and ask a lot of questions to the many builders that will be there!

• houseful
    11 years ago

I love the design of your pool!!! It's going to be beautiful!

Having said that, what will you do in 6 feet of water? Either make the whole thing shallow enough to stand or build a diving pool. I suggest the latter. It's not just the kids that enjoy diving!