Return to the Pools & Spas Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
New Pool Build in Houston

Posted by stewart7795 (My Page) on
Sun, Jan 2, 11 at 12:53

First time going through the process. Assuming weather holds, will be excavating this week, 1/3/11. General Specs are as follows:

Size: 38x17 at widest, naroowing to 14 ft at deep end
Depth: 3.5"-6"
Area: 550 Sq. feet
Perimeter: 120'

Spa: 9'x6' (spillway is negative edge)
Raised 18"

Pool has multi level limestone raised wall (24") with three 3' rain descents and 2-3'

5 deck jets

11X9 tanning ledge 8" deep with 2 bubblers

Stamped concrete decking

I will be posting pics during construction

Should the tenning ledge depth be shallower? I want a pretty good rise from the bubblers and was concerned that 8" may inhibit that.

How do I post pics directly on my post? Can't seem to figure that out.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: New Pool Build in Houston

Easiest way to post pix:

Create a PhotoBucket account. It's free.

Create your album.

Each pic has 4 HTML code choices. Use the third.

Copy the code, one picture per line in the message box here.

White space between the pix can be used for adding descriptions to the picture.

Good Luck!

Scott

o

Photobucket

tan ledge/spa side

Photobucket

deep end

Thanks, Scott!

o

The Dig was on January 10
Photobucket

o
Steel

Steel/Plumbing done Jan 11-12

Photobucket

o
Gunite

Gunite completed Jan 13

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

o
Stone/Tile

Stone & Tile work was begun in mid January and not yet finshed. Electrical work is done and the plan is to have the decking poured Thursday or Friday. We have to be certain the plumbing/gas for the bathroom/kitchen area is properly set before pouring the deck as it will serve as the foundation for the cabana area. Anyway, here is where the tile/stone stands as of now...

Deep End
Photobucket

Hot tub/ tanning ledge
Photobucket

Glass tile on negative edge
Photobucket

Photobucket

o
Overall Pool/Cabana Design

These are the original design pictures from day 1. We have tweaked the pool by eliminating the barstools and bartop inside the pool. In addition, we have added raised decking behind the 24" raised wall. The cabana is now going to be tied into the house to cover a 32X18 area (includes a bathroom and storage closet behind the fireplace)

Photobucket

Photobucket

o

Is the bond beam under where the austin chalk is?
or does the bond beam extend 12" past any and all construction inside the pool
thanks

o

the bond beam is 12" thick and the limestone veneer is applied on the inside. You can see in the gunite pictures above a "ledge" on the inside of the beam to accomodate the stone veneer..so I think the answer is that it extends 12" past all inside pool construction..but

I don't really know what I'm talking about..LOL

o
additional photos

Raised deck framing
Photobucket
Photobucket

Cabana Area
Photobucket

View from hot tub above pool
Photobucket

View from deep end
Photobucket

view of hot tub
Photobucket

bench under raised wall
Photobucket

o

It is looking really good! I really like the tile on the hot tub. We are about in the same phase of construction and as soon as this crazy weather gets back to normal it will be fun to see all the Texas builds get finished up. Keep the updates coming.

o

Looks like we had the same idea with the cabana except you are supersizing it. :) I also love the spa tile choice with the negative edge. Looking forward to seeing what it will look like with water in it. What type of interior finish are you going to use for the pool?

o

I can't have a pool without a bar, kitchen and living room area out there too!

I'm leaning towards Bella Blue Pebblefina for interior finish. My brother used pebblesheen with his pool and I don't care for the rough aggregate. Thus, I'm going with the smoothest of the pebbletec products.

Decking and stone work will be complete this week, but my PB won't plaster until the cabana construction is substantially complete because of construction dust. He said it could be mid March or later before plastering.

What construction ordering are they using for your pool/cabana?

o

I like the way you think about making your pool area very livable. :)

I also have concerns about how rough the Pebble Tec/Sheen will be on our feet. We are going with Pebble Sheen but I would be interested in Pebble Fina if it were available in our area.

I was just told that the cabana would not be constructed until the end. I assume that the interior will be done before that but I haven't seen a detailed plan yet. My PB is submitting the permits now so we are at the beginning of the process. My goal was to have it all ready by Mid-May and it looks like that shouldn't be a problem.

o

You should be good for mid-May assuming your PB stays on it. You should ask if they are delaying the plastering until the dusty construction portion of the cabana is complete. I wouldn't want all that debris from the cabana construction going into the pool.

My goal was mid-March for the kids at Spring Break but we are not looking too good. I've complained to my PB that I signed the contract in late October to prevent any time crunch issues. He knows I'm upset with him for basically wasting November and December. He blamed it on electrical, sewer and gas reroutes (which I handled when he was moving too slow). The re-routes account for 10-15 days, not sixty. Anyway, despite the slow moving PB, the workmanship is top notch. I frankly think he has too many pools going on at once...

I'm not certain how pebbletec and pebblesheen are available, but not pebblefina. Why would you carry only 2 of the 3 PT product lines??

I would ask what they have available that won't skin up your hands and feet if you inadvertantly rub up aginst it while swimming. I do it everytime I swim at the bottom of the pool at my brother's house. There has to be a quality "smooth" alternative...

o
Decking has begun--finally

My PB is moving extremely slow to the point it will be 6 months from contract execution to completion. I can only imagine how long it would have been with bad weather!! Regardless, here are a few pics of the beginning of the deck work....

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

o
More decking photos

Bathroom area
Photobucket

Cabana area
Photobucket

footing for one of the cabana posts
Photobucket

o
Concrete

Concrete poured this week

Raised decking behind pool
Photobucket

raised deck in deep end

Photobucket

view from deep end of what will be cabana area on far end

Photobucket

view from cabana area

Photobucket

o

Just curious, what part of town are you located? Your pool is gonna be fab!

o

West side of town- I-10/Beltway 8 about half a mile from City Centre. And thanks- it better be good with the time and $$$ going into this project!

o
Progress Photos

All stone and coping work was finished this week leaving only stamped concrete and plaster for the pool. The cabana costruction has commenced- 4-5 weeks until completion of everything...

Stone/coping along back wall and on hot tub
Photobucket

framing of cabana

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

o
Additional Cabana Progress..

view from far side of pool
Photobucket

Photobucket

View from inside structure
Photobucket

o
Progress Photos

Roof added to cabana- need to plaster, do the decking and build out the kitchen/bathroom/fireplace area. Hoping 3 more weeks..

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

o

Awesome!

o
updated photos

Project moving along. 2-3 more weeks, plaster this week now that stone and cutting is complete.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket
Photobucket

o

this is so nice. It makes me want to redo ours!

o
Plaster

Bella Blue Pebblefina, I guess it looks green because no chemicals yet...

Photobucket

Photobucket

o

Getting there...

Photobucket

Photobucket

o
updated photos

Pool is complete except for stamped overlay. Cabana probably has another week to go...

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

o

love it! congratuations. I really like your cabana and can't wait to see it - please be sure to continue to post as that gets closer to completion.

o

It looks wonderful. I can't wait to see the completed cabana!

o

Updated photos- not quite done as deck needs to be sealed, step lights put in, and a few other miscellaneous items.
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket

o

Very nice...

o

Looks like an amazing project. I would be stressed beyond the limits!! Still, it's paying off now, because it all looks great!

o

updated photos with lanscaping 95% done and bathroom complete
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket7.jpg"
border="0" alt="Photobucket">
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Pools & Spas Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here