Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
stewart7795_gw

New Pool Build in Houston

stewart7795
13 years ago

First time going through the process. Assuming weather holds, will be excavating this week, 1/3/11. General Specs are as follows:

Size: 38x17 at widest, naroowing to 14 ft at deep end

Depth: 3.5"-6"

Area: 550 Sq. feet

Perimeter: 120'

Spa: 9'x6' (spillway is negative edge)

Raised 18"

Pool has multi level limestone raised wall (24") with three 3' rain descents and 2-3'

5 deck jets

11X9 tanning ledge 8" deep with 2 bubblers

Stamped concrete decking

I will be posting pics during construction

Should the tenning ledge depth be shallower? I want a pretty good rise from the bubblers and was concerned that 8" may inhibit that.

How do I post pics directly on my post? Can't seem to figure that out.

Comments (35)

• poolguynj
    13 years ago

Easiest way to post pix:

Create a PhotoBucket account. It's free.

Create your album.

Each pic has 4 HTML code choices. Use the third.

Copy the code, one picture per line in the message box here.

White space between the pix can be used for adding descriptions to the picture.

Good Luck!

Scott

• stewart7795
    Original Author
    13 years ago

tan ledge/spa side

deep end

Thanks, Scott!

• stewart7795
    Original Author
    13 years ago

The Dig was on January 10

• stewart7795
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Steel/Plumbing done Jan 11-12

• stewart7795
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Gunite completed Jan 13

• stewart7795
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Stone & Tile work was begun in mid January and not yet finshed. Electrical work is done and the plan is to have the decking poured Thursday or Friday. We have to be certain the plumbing/gas for the bathroom/kitchen area is properly set before pouring the deck as it will serve as the foundation for the cabana area. Anyway, here is where the tile/stone stands as of now...

Deep End

Hot tub/ tanning ledge

Glass tile on negative edge

• stewart7795
    Original Author
    13 years ago

These are the original design pictures from day 1. We have tweaked the pool by eliminating the barstools and bartop inside the pool. In addition, we have added raised decking behind the 24" raised wall. The cabana is now going to be tied into the house to cover a 32X18 area (includes a bathroom and storage closet behind the fireplace)

• ttruman13
    13 years ago

Is the bond beam under where the austin chalk is?
    or does the bond beam extend 12" past any and all construction inside the pool
    thanks

• stewart7795
    Original Author
    13 years ago

the bond beam is 12" thick and the limestone veneer is applied on the inside. You can see in the gunite pictures above a "ledge" on the inside of the beam to accomodate the stone veneer..so I think the answer is that it extends 12" past all inside pool construction..but

I don't really know what I'm talking about..LOL

• stewart7795
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Raised deck framing

Cabana Area

View from hot tub above pool
    {{!gwi}}

View from deep end

view of hot tub

bench under raised wall

• partypond
    13 years ago

It is looking really good! I really like the tile on the hot tub. We are about in the same phase of construction and as soon as this crazy weather gets back to normal it will be fun to see all the Texas builds get finished up. Keep the updates coming.

• FlowerMoundAggie
    13 years ago

Looks like we had the same idea with the cabana except you are supersizing it. :) I also love the spa tile choice with the negative edge. Looking forward to seeing what it will look like with water in it. What type of interior finish are you going to use for the pool?

• stewart7795
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I can't have a pool without a bar, kitchen and living room area out there too!

I'm leaning towards Bella Blue Pebblefina for interior finish. My brother used pebblesheen with his pool and I don't care for the rough aggregate. Thus, I'm going with the smoothest of the pebbletec products.

Decking and stone work will be complete this week, but my PB won't plaster until the cabana construction is substantially complete because of construction dust. He said it could be mid March or later before plastering.

What construction ordering are they using for your pool/cabana?

• FlowerMoundAggie
    13 years ago

I like the way you think about making your pool area very livable. :)

I also have concerns about how rough the Pebble Tec/Sheen will be on our feet. We are going with Pebble Sheen but I would be interested in Pebble Fina if it were available in our area.

I was just told that the cabana would not be constructed until the end. I assume that the interior will be done before that but I haven't seen a detailed plan yet. My PB is submitting the permits now so we are at the beginning of the process. My goal was to have it all ready by Mid-May and it looks like that shouldn't be a problem.

• stewart7795
    Original Author
    13 years ago

You should be good for mid-May assuming your PB stays on it. You should ask if they are delaying the plastering until the dusty construction portion of the cabana is complete. I wouldn't want all that debris from the cabana construction going into the pool.

My goal was mid-March for the kids at Spring Break but we are not looking too good. I've complained to my PB that I signed the contract in late October to prevent any time crunch issues. He knows I'm upset with him for basically wasting November and December. He blamed it on electrical, sewer and gas reroutes (which I handled when he was moving too slow). The re-routes account for 10-15 days, not sixty. Anyway, despite the slow moving PB, the workmanship is top notch. I frankly think he has too many pools going on at once...

I'm not certain how pebbletec and pebblesheen are available, but not pebblefina. Why would you carry only 2 of the 3 PT product lines??

I would ask what they have available that won't skin up your hands and feet if you inadvertantly rub up aginst it while swimming. I do it everytime I swim at the bottom of the pool at my brother's house. There has to be a quality "smooth" alternative...

• stewart7795
    Original Author
    13 years ago

My PB is moving extremely slow to the point it will be 6 months from contract execution to completion. I can only imagine how long it would have been with bad weather!! Regardless, here are a few pics of the beginning of the deck work....

• stewart7795
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Bathroom area

Cabana area

footing for one of the cabana posts

• stewart7795
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Concrete poured this week

Raised decking behind pool

raised deck in deep end

view from deep end of what will be cabana area on far end

view from cabana area

• nosabe
    13 years ago

Just curious, what part of town are you located? Your pool is gonna be fab!

• stewart7795
    Original Author
    13 years ago

West side of town- I-10/Beltway 8 about half a mile from City Centre. And thanks- it better be good with the time and $$$ going into this project!

• stewart7795
    Original Author
    13 years ago

All stone and coping work was finished this week leaving only stamped concrete and plaster for the pool. The cabana costruction has commenced- 4-5 weeks until completion of everything...

Stone/coping along back wall and on hot tub

framing of cabana

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

• stewart7795
    Original Author
    13 years ago

view from far side of pool

View from inside structure

• stewart7795
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Roof added to cabana- need to plaster, do the decking and build out the kitchen/bathroom/fireplace area. Hoping 3 more weeks..

• gaylek
    13 years ago

Awesome!

• stewart7795
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Project moving along. 2-3 more weeks, plaster this week now that stone and cutting is complete.

• ziembak
    12 years ago

this is so nice. It makes me want to redo ours!

• stewart7795
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Bella Blue Pebblefina, I guess it looks green because no chemicals yet...

• stewart7795
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Getting there...

• stewart7795
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Pool is complete except for stamped overlay. Cabana probably has another week to go...

• nypoolnovice
    12 years ago

love it! congratuations. I really like your cabana and can't wait to see it - please be sure to continue to post as that gets closer to completion.

• jackty
    12 years ago

It looks wonderful. I can't wait to see the completed cabana!

• stewart7795
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Updated photos- not quite done as deck needs to be sealed, step lights put in, and a few other miscellaneous items.

• travis_turner
    12 years ago

Very nice...

• j_royall
    12 years ago

Looks like an amazing project. I would be stressed beyond the limits!! Still, it's paying off now, because it all looks great!

• stewart7795
    Original Author
    12 years ago

updated photos with lanscaping 95% done and bathroom complete

7.jpg"
    border="0" alt="Photobucket">

Sponsored
Outdoor Spaces
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars19 Reviews
Experienced Full Service Landscape Design Firm Serving Loudoun County