Return to the Pools & Spas Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How do you remove stains on concrete pool?

Posted by skeeter_ca (My Page) on
Sat, Jan 28, 12 at 12:48

I finally am getting my pool back up and running. It has not been running for about two months. The water is all a mucky brown with lots of debris and leaves in it. I'm draining it and am finding alot of stains on the concrete that looks like from the leaves biodegrading in the water. What can i use to get the stains off? Hopefully not something too expensive or dangerous.

skeeter

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How do you remove stains on concrete pool?

Dead leaves leave brown, tanic acid stains. Normal levels chlorine will clear them over time. Might take a month or two, especially with cooler water, but they will fade.

Draining is not recommended. Scoop out the debris with a leaf net. Don't try scooping with the skimming net. It'll break. Then bring the free chlorine level to about the level of the stabilizer and keep it there for a couple days. Any sediments should be vacuumed to waste.

Scott

o

It is not uncommon to need to drain and acid wash the entire pool. This is a common service requirement for concrete pools. There is however risk in draining a concrete pool so if you are not familiar with how, and when, to do this safety then contact a local concrete pool expert who can assist you with this.

When acid washing the pool you do not wat to use too strong of an acid or it will pull the cement from the plaster leaving the surface layer rough.

Hope this info is helpful.

S

o

Plenty of shock has always worked for me. Stains have always gone away w/in 24 hours. No draining, no acid washing.

o

Acid us used to rid heavier deposits of calcium scale and metal stains.

Chlorine gets rid of organic stains.

Shocking is a process, not a product. It is used to kill an organic contaminant such a algae or other bio-badie or combined chlorine.

These are two distinctly different processes, using chlorine or acid to rid a surface stain.

Scott

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Pools & Spas Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here