Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
alyx_c_gw

Swim jets?

alyx_c
11 years ago

Has one used swim jets? I forgot who makes them. They are less expensive than thise big box things to make a pool a swim pool. They require 2 x 2 HP pumps and are turned on seperately. I know someone who has them and loves them. Just wanted to know others experience? The gunite is going in today. Thanks, Alyx

Comments (10)

• alyx_c
    Original Author
    11 years ago

The mnaufacture is waterways.

• renovxpt
    11 years ago

waterway has a river jet 210-5100 msrp $324 It says it will handle up to 1000gpm at 13psi with a 2.5 inch intake. It must be an error because those specs don't add up. They also have 2 swim jets and the largest is 210-4740 msrp $35 rated at 100gpm. I'm looking at a 2011 catalogue.

• alyx_c
    Original Author
    11 years ago

OK, my understanding was 100gpm each jet 2" I thought. Each jet has a motor and pump and switch. I am also getting a lower/higher -VS- just on/off. Is that strong enough to use for exercise swimming? My last name is not Phelps or Locke. :-) The jets are 10" apart. The jets come to about 1" to 2" from my arm pit. Oh and each jet requires 2 drains (I don't get that but that's what it is)Thanks

• renovxpt
    11 years ago

I can't speak with actual experience and would suggest you try you friends pool if possible before making the decision.

The waterway river jet is called a "turbo boost" jet as is the Hayward SP1450t. I interpret this to mean it amplifies the gpms delivered by the pump at the first nozzel with a venturi of additional water outside of the nozzel. I do have actual experience with the high flow from the sp1450t but that is not what you are needing in this case. I think the river jet required 4 hp of pumping power which could be 300 plus gpms and the turbo boost feature must account for the additional 700gpms they claim.

In general a more laminar or flat flow of water is a better current to swim against than pressure coming from just one or two points.

Hope this helps as it sounds confusing after rereading.

• renovxpt
    11 years ago

Every pump with a dedicated suction needs at least two drains to prevent entrapment.

• poolguynj
    11 years ago

Not quite. Larger, non blockable drains, suction outlets will generally remove the dual drain requirement. Note that wall mounted drains have reduced flow allowances when compared to floor drains.

Scott

• renovxpt
    11 years ago

Scott, in theory you are correct but when you actually build pools, you learn to do what the plan reviewers and inspectors want to see. We build in about 15 counties across two states and they all want two drains per suction line. When you have a hole in the ground with stub plumbing and steel in place and shotcrete scheduled to beat the incoming weather, the last thing you want to do is argue with an inspector about why you only need one drain.

• alyx_c
    Original Author
    11 years ago

OK, I am confused, sort of. The gunite is in, the plumbing,a gazillion drains, electrical for light, waiting on inspector to come tomorrow or at latest Wed so all the pipes can be covered by the sand again and my poor palms can breath. The people I met do have the hayward jets(I have waterway) and did require two drains per jet. So each jet, 2 drains, 1 hp motor, one 2 hp pump. So pool will have 3 motors and 3 pumps and 6 drains. When swim jets are on the rest of the pool is off. Not sure if that is requirement I just know what my friends told me. There pool is about 4 or 6 yrs old. He put them on for me so I could see them but we are experience an unusual cold period and I don't do cold water :-). The only change my PB is doing is the adjustable flow instead of just on and off for my grandchildren.

• renovxpt
    11 years ago

It sounds like your pool builder is paying attention and taking good care of his customer.

• alyx_c
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you for all the answers. Only time will tell if I made the right choice on the jets but at least they are done right and that makes me feel better. :-) have a pool in another house but never built one so it's all been a learning experience and I have tried to put in this pool what I want and need and eliminate what I do not need from the other pool. I think we did that.I'll post when all is said and done and I can test them, like March although it's suppose to be back in the 70's like normal later this week. :-)