Return to the Pools & Spas Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Filter Element Replacement

Posted by trhought (My Page) on
Sat, Jan 1, 11 at 11:18

Happy New Year!

I noticed yesterday, before leaving for a New Year's Eve party, that our cartridge filter pressure was only half of what it usually is.

It's probably a tear in one of the filter elements as I just cleaned them the day before and noticed the bands on one of the filters were not bonded to the pleats any more. This allowed the pleats to move a lot when I was blasting them with the hose and was concerned about tearing. I'm going to inspect today to verify this.

If it's a tear in one of the cartridges, should I replace just the one cartridge or should all 4 cartridge elements be replaced at the same time. The other 3 elements looked OK in terms of bands and their bond to the pleats.

This is the first time for filter element replacement for us and just curious what everyone's experience has been with replacements over the years.

Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Filter Element Replacement

That would be a pretty substantial tear. I would expect one at a time would be fine though.

Scott

o
RE: Filter Element Replacement

Scott...Thanks..that's reassuring.

Yesterday, I could not find any tears in any of the cartridges including the suspect one.

Regarding the pressure...you're right....the pressure was not half as originally posted...it was dusk when reading the original pressure and hard to see...it could have been the egg nog and rum also!

The actual pressure was 6 psi lower than normal..normal being 20 psi.

After filter inspection and re-assembly, I was able to get the pressure to normal again. I had forgotten the skimmer suction was closed and I was only pulling from the main drain. I also forgot the valve at the bottom of the skimmer was only partially open further restricting flow even when the skimmer suction valve at the pad was open.

With both valves open all the way, the pressure is now 20 psi.

Lesson learned.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Pools & Spas Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here