Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dalehileman

Intelliflow revisited

dalehileman
13 years ago

I herewith submit for whatever value it might prove to the pool owner considering a switch to Variable Flow an interchange recently intercepted through a glitch in Internet security between pool owner Elad Namel and one Slenn Glensker who is apparently considering the conversion

Hi Slenn

You had asked for a report as I presume you too might be considering a switch to vf and if I have no other virtues, I do report. Incidentally a $300 rebate on the model our dear friend/installer Ike Borsch had selected came today and so I herewith take the opportunity to thank him also for undergoing the somewhat tedious job applying for it on our behalf

Thanks to the heroic efforts of Ike, Mel, and No. 1 Son Ellie I'm delighted to report the pool so far is beautiful and some of its new features admirable such as means to separately control the sweep and provisions that start the pump in cold weather to prevent freezing. Only minor drawbacks such as:

Otherwise the device largely deprives one of control. For instance as the basic unit contains no way to easily preempt certain basic functions Ike (who is incidentally a high muckitimuck in Aerospace and so naturally understands all vastly complex technological advances) volunteered to install a remote facility to energize the pump, change its speed, and activate the sweep. It has certain apparent limitations, however, though not terribly serious Ike has promised to look into, for instance

1. Because the vf station is situated at a level above the pool surface, when first energized at low speed the vf wouldn't pump but only sucked air Ike found it necessary to program for brief prime at high speed before dropping to low. However if I arrogate control using the remote, when I'm done the program resumes operation but reverts to low speed. So if the interruption was long enough to drain the input tubing, it then won't pump. Of course if I remember I can now use the remote to initiate a prime though I must now also remember to then terminate else it run at that speed all night if I don't intervene

....(a) As the booster purportedly is in danger of self-destruct shoud it suck air, Ike found it necessary in order to ensure a positive pressure at its intake to program the vf at half-speed during sweep time. Because sweep is more efficient at high as I will elucidate, it might prove desirable occasionally, especially after a windstorm, to operate the sweep at that setting, a condition however the program at least as now written won't permit

....(b) Since the remote is the size of a credit card, in my waning years approaching senility I will surely lose it. Somewhat OT but my No. 2 Son Spacey has a brilliant suggestion for Modern Industry. Open letter to the makers of household electronics: Build a beeper into all remotes of every kind as well as a button to activate any other such remote so it's capable of triggering others within range

2. A few localized deposits of black sand (perfectly sanitary though), especially in the corners at the deep end for which I speculate two principal reasons:

....(a) With vf set to low the lighter debris of course is picked up by the sweep but at this flow rate some heavier deposits are no longer carried away by circulation to skimmer port or drain

....(b) But the main one being I now run the sweep for only one hour compared with three before. The Polaris 380 sweep helps remove sand not so much by picking it up as with other debris but by the slashing tail reducing particles to a size more easily suspended. Of course I could have Ike reprogram to sweep 3 hours as before and with vf at high but after all the entire purpose of vf is to save electricity

3. Previously the pump station was virtually immune to damage by sun, wind, rain, falling tree limbs, vandalism, children or other accidental human contact, etc since it used no lightweight components and the wiring was all in conduit. Now however the new system includes delicate and unprotected attachments, two thermal sensors and the remote receiver, connected by a network of relatively fine wiring not easily protected from its environment so I'm contemplating the building of a shed to house the entire complex

Then I would of course endeavor to always leave the remote in the enclosure handy where I could always find it but shielded from the elements. Open letter to Intelliflow: To make the remote unnecessary you should institute a new model master control box with manual control provision built-in using clearly labeled pushbuttons

Such paltry hindrances of course aren't terribly serious, Slenn, but illustrate the vast complexity introduced by the digital megillah and make you feel sorry for the average clod (me) who isn't an expert in the field and wonders how he'd cope if Ike for instance were transferred to Boston. Again however, we're ever so grateful to him and crew since any inconveniences are far overshadowed by the potential saving in electricity since in spite of my advanced age of 80 I plan to live to 104 so I can see my grandchildren graduate college

Your old pool buddy

Elad

Comments (18)

• jenleighj
    13 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Canterbury Tales is being discussed on a different forum Dale.

• dalehileman
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Jenn could you elaborate as I was sure Intelliflow had something to do with swimming pools

• dalehileman
    Original Author
    13 years ago

...unless Jen that was meant as a left-handed compliment in which case a left-handed thanks

• jenleighj
    13 years ago

No argument that Intelliflow has something to do with pools, but I suspect that the lack of brevity in this verbose exchange is enough to prevent most on this board from commenting. If you are truly seeking an exchange regarding pool issues, may I suggest being direct in your inquiries?

:)

• dalehileman
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Grrr

It's intended to inform folk intending a switch to Intelliflow or other vf. Though comment is welcome it's not required

• poolguynj
    13 years ago

Dale,

I am a patient, giving sort of person. I spend my own time working to help others for the sake of helping myself. Sometime it leads to business opportunities for me but that's not the only "why" of why I do it. It helps the industry I am in, as do the other contributors here in countering those that might not be quite as strait up as we are.

Your original post is wrought with bull droppings and fabrication. There is nothing believable in your story and if I were to forward your ramblings to Pentair, I suspect they would not look kindly towards your seemingly slanderous post.

Do us all a favor. Leave. You contribute nothing of any value to anyone here. We have been through this before.

Scott

• dalehileman
    Original Author
    13 years ago

"Your original post is wrought with bull droppings and fabrication."

Well Scott why then don't you refute said falsehoods

• poolguynj
    13 years ago

I don't argue with fools. People can't tell the difference.

Scott

• llcp93
    13 years ago

Dale
    You have a severe case of Antiquated Linguistics and your writing is very verbose and totally inefficient and does not successfully communicate your objective to the target audience. Few people have neither the time nor patience to read through numbing, rumbling text.
    One of the basic principles of good writing is to omit unnecessary words. Conciseness beats verbosity.
    It does not make you look smart, intelligent, or articulate. You appear arrogant, indignant, and show a blatant disregard for the members of the garden web forums.
    If you want to display your regurgitation of the english language in this manner, I am sure there are a plethora of places available on the internet. If you want to contribute to the pool forums, please use english and not this comical bovine excrement.
    There are many studies available on the web from credible institutions where it is determined that Writers who use long words needlessly and choose complicated writing styles are seen as less intelligent than those who stick with basic vocabulary and plain text.

• dalehileman
    Original Author
    13 years ago

"(PLEASE NOTE: The member responding to your post has chosen not to reveal his or her email address."

Cowardice

"Therefore, you cannot reply to this message via email.")

Well let's see

"Dale"
    Zoo

"You have a severe case of Antiquated Linguistics and your writing is very verbose...."

You seem angry

"Few people have neither the time nor patience to read through numbing, rumbling text."

Nobody is required to do so
    ...but forgive me 93, shouldn't that be 'either' and 'or' and didn't you mean 'rambling'

http://onelook.com/?w=rumbling&ls=a

"One of the basic principles of good writing is to omit unnecessary words. Conciseness beats verbosity."

Gosh I didn't realize that

"It does not make you look smart, intelligent, or articulate."

Your revelations are so terribly upsetting I might contemplate suicide
    After lunch though

"You appear arrogant, indignant, and show a blatant disregard for the members of the garden web forums."

Only to those terribly angry at all times about nearly everything. Others are simply amused

And what do you mean 'blatant'

"If you want to display your regurgitation of the english language in this manner, I am sure there are a plethora of places available on the internet."

Oh I like that word. Verbosity and articulate too. Wow

"If you want to contribute to the pool forums, please use english and not this comical bovine excrement."

There! you agree it's amusing. Incidentally speaking of our Mother Tongue, here's how it's done: 1. Highlight "english" 2. Click on Edit ('way up at the top) (3) Click on Transformations (It's in the box called a 'drop down'; that's because it drops down) (4) Click on Make Upper Case (that means capitalize) (5) Bingo! see you didn't even need the keyboard, wasn't that easy

'Internet' incidentally is usu also capped
    It's short for 'usually' which means most of the time

"There are many studies available on the web from credible institutions where it is determined that Writers who use long words needlessly......."

Re 'Writers,' in step (4) above click on Make Lower Case (that means to de-capitalize first letter)
    And thanks 93 for the brief chat

"zookeeper93"
    dalehileman

• Rack Etear
    13 years ago

Dale, even with poor execution in composition, I can follow Zookeepers post much easier than your.

You post seemed like a thesaurus with ADD.

• waterbear
    13 years ago

Dale, you posted this same drivel over at another poolspa forum the other day and the thread was deleted and you were banned from there (as a results of a long string of threada and posts such as this and ignoring warnings from Moderaltors).
    IF anyone is interested you might want to look up dalehileman in the Urban Dictionary. It is very enlightening!

Here is a link that might be useful: urban dictionary

• dalehileman
    Original Author
    13 years ago

"Dale, you posted this same drivel over at another poolspa forum the other day and the thread was deleted and you were banned from there........."

Yes I recall. If it's no trouble could you name the site so if I have a tab I can delete it, thanks

"IF anyone is interested you might want to look up dalehileman in the Urban Dictionary. It is very enlightening!"

I'm flattered by all the attention, WB. Incidentally have you met Zoo93, you and he would get along, you could have picnics together where you might barbecue small children

• poolguynj
    13 years ago

Hey there waterbear. Welcome back. Hope you pop in more frequently going forward.

Please people. Don't encourage Dale. Just ignore him. Let this thread die and scroll down to the bit bucket where it belongs.

Scott

• dalehileman
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Scot have you met Zoo93 and Waterbear as I think you might like them....

• waterbear
    13 years ago

"Yes I recall. If it's no trouble could you name the site so if I have a tab I can delete it, thanks"

Dale L. Hileman from Apple Valley, CA why do you insist on playing these sick games? You visited that site after I posted here at 2:01 PM EST in fact! You are not nearly as clever as you believe yourself to be, quite the opposite in fact!

• dalehileman
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Yes I do remember visiting such a site but many pool forums have very similar names and so in the meantime I had forgotten specifically which one it was. I assure you with that query I was in no way attempting to be clever

There are incidentally participants on other forum sites who have complemented me for my writing style, suggesting that your reaction could represent a deep-seated desire to find everywhere, however innocent their intention, reasons to express that seething anger which as I mentioned could interfere with otherwise amiable relationships and might even significantly shorten your life

waterbear
    dalehileman

• dalehileman
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Incidentally WB by the sheerest coincidence I just received complimentary email from two diverse acquaintances expressing delight at the interchange of this very thread

Evidently those with whom I choose to associate have more well-developed sense of humor

However as we have meandered far afield I herewith grasp the opportunity to cordially invite other participants not so involved with such trivial riposte, to comment in accordance with the OP, however OT, upon VF