Return to the Pools & Spas Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Pool Removal??

Posted by gws58 (My Page) on
Thu, Jan 13, 11 at 9:23

I read the post about filling in the pool and it got me to wondering what is the expected life of a new pool. I never thought about that before.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Pool Removal??

Ours is 22 years old and still looks pristine. It is a gunite pool with a DE filter. It was replastered about five years ago. However, a friend with a fiberglass pool had a large crack develope in the shell that could not be repaired. He filled in the pool.

o
RE: Pool Removal??

I think you will be hard pressed to find any reliable research that provides a clear representation of how long a concrete swimming pool should last. Most pool builders offer a lifetime transferrable warranty but leave out the definition of what a lifetime constitutes. What if a builder builds a pool on the cheap and his expectation is that the pool should last 15 years and that is what he considers a lifetime. Afterall, it was not defined in the contract. If it is not specified then it is anybody's guess. Concrete pools can experience failure very early on for many reasons. One may be that the pool was not contructed to last a lifetime of 15-20 years but rather a lifetime of 10-15 years. This is a very good question. I would venture to say that not one pool builder on this forum defines the lifetime of their pool structure in their contract but everyone will have an opinion in spite of the fact they have all had pools that have had some level of failure, albeit some more than others for obvious reasons.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Pools & Spas Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here