Return to the Pools & Spas Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Skimmer cracked during build

Posted by cakelady_2010 (My Page) on
Thu, Jan 20, 11 at 8:47

Our deck was poured without the 2 skimmer rings, (the little part the lid fits into). After the deck was dry the deck crew had difficulty getting the ring to fit into the dried decking. After it was fit using a grinder I noticed the cracks in the skimmer sides. The PB has suggested plastic welding to repair the skimmer and said it will last as long as the plastic skimmers would normally, up to 20 years.

Has anyone had experience with this technique? Has this happened to anyone else??

Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Skimmer cracked during build

When the plastic Radiator cracked on my Hummer H3 I went to have it replaced. $1200. Forget that!!!!!

I used this stuff and i Have not leaked a drop in 20K miles

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=productsearch&cd=5&ved=0CGIQgwgwBA&url=http%3A//rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-67261-24966-0/2%3Fipn%3Dpsmain%26icep_vectorid%3D263602%26kwid%3D1%26mtid%3D691%26crlp%3D1_263602%26icep_item_id%3D350310281732%26itemid%3D350310281732&ei=W2o4TfzmFYT68Ab16JSBCw&usg=AFQjCNGNTA6LQvH1OBsZ5hwmQZT1Fm3kWQ&sig2=xGZ-Hg_wGT2i24Zmd3GAiw

o

One problem with plastic repair,it wont last. Most likey there is pressure on the skimmer and that is why the lid wont fit. Ask for a new skimmer,when the repair fails in five years or so, who is going to pay for it? My customers with german cars try to repair there plastic cooling systems with plastic weld, it never works.

o

I must be one of the lucky ones... This tyrp of epoxy acts like a weld where it actually melts the 2 plastices when setting up. My Rad hasnot leaked in 5 months.

o

BILLY MAYS HERE FOR MIGHTY PUTTY!

o

Racket,

Did you post in the wrong thread again. LOL

o

Nope

o

From what I have found online, replacing the skimmer would involve braking out the side of the pool beam/coping around the skimmer?

o

They will break the section of deck, dig around the old skimmer, break out the old skimmer and mouth plus a couple inches of gunite, set the new skimmer and re-pour concrete and re-tile as needed. You won't lose any strength. Its quite a bit of work which is why the PB was hoping you would accept the patch. Weigh you decision on the compensation you receive if you take the patch.

Scott

o

We have chose the plastic weld. The risk for additional damage to surrounding plumbing with the PB changing out the skimmer is too great. He will guaranty the weld for the life of the skimmer. Checking with Pentair on how many years a skimmer is expected to last. It was a hard choice to make.

o

Make sure the flapper weir moves freely and the basket fits properly first!

His warranty might be useless in 5 years. The skimmer will last as long as the deck. Take that to the bank.

Scott

o

What happens if the pool company is gone in five years, or the skimmer flapper stops working because of pressure. You have spend alot of money on this project,and would not cut corners now. What if the skimmer starts leaking water into the ground and causes major problems, like a popping pool?

o

The replacement of our skimmer started today. Hopefully we can move forward from it. As far as I can tell at this point, it looks ok?

Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket

o

The skimmer has been replaced. Needs to be re calked and it will be ready.

Photobucket

Photobucket

o

Just a followup. I re grouted the skimmer myself. The PB never showed up to finish this before we had our pool filled following plaster. The water was several feet from the skimmer during fill up and I quickly mixed the grout left that they used for our waterline tile. So far it is holding. Any experience with set up time for grout before exposed to water?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Pools & Spas Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here