Return to the Pools & Spas Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Pool Shape

Posted by Ray72 (My Page) on
Thu, Jan 3, 13 at 8:02

Having a hard time picking our shape. I love the look of a bowed kidney but my wife likes the traditional rectangle. Any one do either and have regrets or have thoughts on either?

We are vinyl, 8 feet deep with no land issues. Bids are $3000 more for the irregular shape. It will be fenced but not enclosed in NW FL.

Thanks!
Ray

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Pool Shape

We have a irregular shaped pool and we are building a rectangular pool in our vacation home now. I love our odd shaped pool but I have found that trying to buy a solar cover or any type of cover for it is difficult and much more expensive. To make the rectangle look special (sounds boring to just have a rectangle) :-) we are putting in a tanning legde with side to side steps going down to the rest of the pool and a sheer descent waterfall. We are also using copper colored glass mosaic tiles.

o

Personally, I like the geometric shape of the rectangle better. I think it is like anything - trends will come and go - free-form/lagoon-like is in right now, rectangle/geometric were popular before, and they will probably come back in like bell bottom jeans and shag rugs. We have an odd T-shaped, 35K gallon pool and any kind of cover (solar, safety, leaf) are all just outrageous. I wish we had a simple rectangle, it would save a lot of trouble.

o

I also vote that rectangular is more contemporary looking, so perhaps the style of your house may be influential in the shape you choose.

o

I have a kidney shape, it nestles up against a curved stone retaining wall. I do like the shape, the curve, etc. Only thing I wanted was a nice 40' straight run with a bit of perpendicular wall at each curved end for swimming laps and flip turns.

It's an informal pool in a sort of informal setting. Muted pool colors, etc. Lots of trees around.

If you have kids, a rectangular is better for pool sports. Volleyball, etc.

o

Try looking at a Double Roman End pool it should not cost you that much to upgrade to this shape because of the panels not being as curved. I build more of these than any other shape and some brick coping or flagstone to dress it up...

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Pools & Spas Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here