Return to the Pools & Spas Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Waterway Monster Jet nozzle question

Posted by howecollc (My Page) on
Tue, Jan 22, 13 at 3:11

I just received some Waterway Poly Jet Monster Jet internals in the mail, which I had intended to experiment with and decide whether I wanted to use the 7/16" or 1/2" orifice jets in my hot tub. Having never seen any before ordering them, I had assumed that the orifice "nozzle" would be held in place by pressure after tightening the insert down into one of my 210-5880 Poly Jet bodies. I thought I would be able to switch out the various sized nozzles until I decided which I preferred. However, it turns out that nothing holds the nozzle into place (it doesn't bottom out into anything within the jet body after you tighten the insert into the body; it's just free to fall out backwards and roll around in the space between the insert and the water inlet at the back of the jet body).

So I'm assuming that the installer is supposed to choose the size nozzle he wants to use out of the four included, then glue it into the back of the insert (thereby eliminating the option of changing nozzle sizes in the future). If this is indeed the case, what type of glue are you supposed to use (cyanoacrylate, PVC cement, urethane)? I haven't tried them out yet as I don't have the tub ready. The nozzles may stay in place unglued long enough for me to evaluate how the different sizes perform, or they may work their way out of where they seat in the insert the minute the water pressure hits them; I'll find out soon enough.

So has anyone used these Monster Jets, and if so, how did you glue the nozzles? Thanks in advance for any help.

Here is a link that might be useful: Waterway Poly Jet Monster Jet Internal

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Waterway Monster Jet nozzle question

They press in there pretty tight. We don't glue them and have never had a problem.

o

After reading your post, I began to think maybe the one particular jet I had opened was out of spec and loose fitting, so I opened a couple of the other identical jets I had to check them out. They, however, all had the same loose fitting 5/16" white nozzles pushed into them from the factory. I then thought to snap one of the four black nozzles out of their plastic tree to see if they were perhaps any tighter fitting than the white one, and found that yes they were much more difficult to press into the seat and would no doubt stay seated without exerting considerable pressure in the opposite direction to unseat them.

I had just assumed that the white nozzle installed from the factory would be the same outside diameter as the interchangeable black nozzles. I guess they intentionally make the white one loose fitting so that the installer doesn't get stumped trying to figure out how to remove what would otherwise be a tight fitting nozzle, wondering if he was going to break something by pushing in the wrong place. I don't really understand why the white nozzle is included in the first place; I think without it being there it would still be quite clear where one should seat the interchangeable nozzles, and they would all be a tight fit and avoid any confusion.

Nonetheless, I have it worked out now and very much appreciate your info which caused me to take a closer look at things. Out of curiosity, do you ever use the 1/2" nozzles in an install or do folks tend to find them too powerful? What kind of PSI do you usually shoot for behind them?

This post was edited by howecollc on Wed, Jan 23, 13 at 1:58

o

We use trial and error to balance them so they all draft air. It can get tricky when they are at different levels and different nozzels. I would start small and work up to the larger sizes.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Pools & Spas Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here