Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hwade_gw

New Pool Build: Flower Mound, TX

hwade
14 years ago

I started reading this forum several months ago when we began contemplating a pool. There is an incredible amount of good info and insight here so a BIG thanks to everyone who contributes.

I apprecaited those who shared pictures and commentary during their build so I thought I would do the same. We started digging yesterday.

Builder - BMR Pool and Patio

20'x30'

3.5' to 5' deep

2 skimmers

6 returns

SWG

WetEdge Pearl Chilean Beach Tahoe

Oklahoma flagstone coping

SAISPADOR Master Tile

Stamped concrete decking

24" raised trickle down spa

24" raised beam along back wall

Legend Platinum cleaner

1 Booster cleaner pump

1 Intelliflo VS

Easy Touch 8 with wireless controller

Plan design (The fence on the left doesn't really exist. I asked the builder to leave enough room for our playset. The fence in the drawing was how he illustrated this.)

Before

The plan is to demo the wood deck and leave the arbor.

The dig begins

Dig is done

Rebar complete

Plumbing in progress

We're hoping for gunite on Thursday or Friday. I'll post more as we progress.

Comments (69)

• ftwpoolgirl
    14 years ago

I like the blues but that is what is going on my pool with OK flagstone. Our blue has some browns in it so it blends nicely. Your very first blue one on the left looks similar to what we picked. Master Tile SOLBELAZU6

• hwade
    Original Author
    14 years ago

The finish will be Tahoe Blue PT.

Thanks!

• amy_texas
    14 years ago

I also have OK flagstone and Tahoe Blue PT. I matched the tile as close as I could to the flagstone. I went with a tile from Noble Tile that said extreme shade variation - which was actually perfect since the flagstone has both light and dark.

IMO, I think the left is too blue, you don't want it to compete with the PT; the middle is too reddish for the browns in the flagstone; and the right is too light. I think you need a tile that has more brown in it since that is what is in the OK flagstone.

Good luck with the decision, I know it is tough; I asked several people their opinions before I finally decided.

• hwade
    Original Author
    14 years ago

amy texas - Do you recall the name or model number of your tile? I made 2 trips to Nobel this afternoon and got samples of everything remotely close to brown so I probably have a sample.

Thanks again for the input.

• garageworksguy
    14 years ago

We have OK Flag on the coping as well as the steps and OK moss boulders in the waterfall. We will have Tahoe Blue Sheen as well, this is the tile we are going with. Has the tan, reds and blues of the OK Flag. I'm pretty sure it's a noble tile as well.

• amy_texas
    14 years ago

It is Noble NMVS 662 Rust. The name Rust is not a good representation; I see shades of brown. I will take a close up picture at lunch today and post it for you so you can see what it looks like next to the coping. I really am happy with the way the tile blends with the flagstone.

• ftwpoolgirl
    14 years ago

Hang in there hwade....have you seen the forecast. Makes you cringe. Wed is now up to 50% chance rain and Thursday is 80%. So guess we can expect one more round of flooding. We chose a darker PS finish than yours so our blue will go with that. If it's got some browns in the tile you should be good no matter what other colors are there. Flagstone has so many shades. Garageworks guy matched his really well.

• hwade
    Original Author
    14 years ago

amy texas - They must have discontinued the line because it's no longer showing in their catalogue. Thanks for the info though. I went back to an older thread and found your pool, very nice by the way, and that is the look we're going for.

ftwpoolgirl - We go 3 months without rain in the summer and now we can't squeeze in 7 days without a deluge. I hope the rain doesn't delay you too long.

• amy_texas
    14 years ago

hwade, actually it is listed as a new tile in their 2009 catalog. Here is a link to the online catalog. It is the Vesale Series (towards the bottom of the page). Click on it and there are 4 different tiles as part of that series and there you will see it.

http://www.nobletile.com/6inch.html

• hwade
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks so much! Your pool is beautiful!

I must have an old version of the print catalogue. I'll run down to Noble this afternoon to get some samples.

• ajones
    14 years ago

Hwade, personally i like the blue simply because it provides some contrast from the flagstone. we also chose blue on ours as well and we are very please with how it looks with the blue granite pebblesheen. it had a bit more of a turquoise look that i wasn't sure about but it ended up GREAT. this selection process can be extremely stressful. don't be afraid to ask your PB for their suggestions as well. we also had the opportunity to see a couple of pools with tile that we had narrowed it down to so that helped as well!

keep us posted!

• hwade
    Original Author
    14 years ago

amy texas - Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! I picked up a sample of the tile you used and we think this is the one. It's the look we had in mind when we set out on this journey. For some reason I had completly ignored this line in the Noble showroom because they are oversized. My family thanks you as well. We were able to discuss something other than pool tile at dinner tonight. What did we do before the interweb??? Here's a pic.

ajones - Your pool looks wonderful with blue tile. I'm a little hesitant about going with blue because I feel it's more risky. If we were to go with blue and miss I feel it would look worse than if we miss with an earthtone. Of course, I'm new to this whole thing so that might be way off base. By the way, I think you've handled your PS issue with a ton of grace. I don't think I could appear nearly as calm as you have if I were in your shoes. I'm glad PT had some reassuring words for you.

Thanks to all who chimed in on this. I'm sure in a year it won't seem like a big deal but our lives have revolved around tile for the last 5 days.

• amy_texas
    14 years ago

hwade, you are so welcome. I am glad you found something that you like. It looks good next to your stone. I think you will really like it; I know we do. Please post pictures when it is done.

• ajones
    14 years ago

hwade, i completely understand about the earthtones and i'm right there with you. the wife and i found two we liked a lot but they were out of stock and had to make different choices. tile selection is a VERY important part of the process. BTW, love the tile you have selected and it's an excellent compliment to flagstone coping!!!! guess once they get the tile redone then it's onto decking pretty soon afterwards and then the interior. it will be coming right along if the weather cooperates just a little bit. shouldn't be to much longer! also, thanks for the kind words on the PS issue. just got a bit nervous with the PB's postings so i thought it would be best to go directly to the source. the PB's on this site are all great and offer excellent advice and hope they are not offended with my posting the conversation with PebbleTec. but certainly the words were re-assuring but will still need to keep an eye on everything.

continued excellent progress and keep the pictures coming!!

• hwade
    Original Author
    14 years ago

We ordered the new tile today (thanks again, amy texas!) and the deck crew came and put the forms in. The forecast is calling for rain all day tomorrow so I doubt if we'll get the deck poured until early next week. Here are a few pics of the deck forms.

It's been 15 days since the start of the project. This includes a 2 day rain delay last week. I really wasn't expecting things to happen this quickly.

• ajones
    14 years ago

WOW, they are coming right along. Great progress for just 15 days! hopefully the weather will get better and sounds like they might be able to get some stuff done tomorrow! keep the pics coming.

• to-the-beach
    14 years ago

hwade, Your project looks fantastic! We are getting ready to start our second pool build. The first was a nightmare and I'm scared to death. Would you mind if I asked what your project cost?

• hwade
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks! Other than the tile issue, which our PB has been great about helping us work through, we've been very pleased.

Send me an email at hwade972@gmail.com and I'll give you specifics on the cost.

• ajones
    14 years ago

hwade, since you didn't post additional pics i'm assuming they didn't get your deck poured today?

• hwade
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Nope. The deck crew inadvertently filled the electrical trench when they laid boards in our side yard for their equipment. This resulted in a failed inspection on Thursday. A crew came out this morning and uncovered the trench so we passed inspection this afternoon. We're shooting for early next week on the deck pour.

They also still have to do a little work on the arbor posts before we can pour. They initially cut off the bottoms of the posts at deck level and poured piers directly beneath them. With all of the rain and digging around them the piers have moved away from the posts. They'll have to repour the piers and remove the bracing before the deck pour as well.

How's your finish holding up? Any noticable issues?

• ajones
    14 years ago

sorry to hear about the insepection but hopefully they can get moving along next week. i know that's frustrating. the finish appears to be good. there are some what i would call splotches on the interior but they appear to change in size and location each day and the PB said that's the interior curing and those will disapppear. there is one approx 10 inch perfectly round white circle by the main drain that the the PB and i noticed but he said he would have his maintenance guy come out and put some type of stain stuff on it. if that didn't correct the problem, then he would get divers out to fix it but he's confident we can do something about it. one of the reasons we went with him was because he's an honest man and has done everything he said he would do to this point so we are confident that he will correct anything we need. i see where you're going with wetedge interior. i just posted on CVD's post that our neighbor has wetedge and he loves it! keep posting the pics!

• hwade
    Original Author
    14 years ago

First the rain, then the snow. We're on the way to setting a record for single day snowfall in the Dallas area. Where is global warming when you need it?

We're targeting Monday for the stamped and stained concrete deck. The high Monday will be 49 with an overnight low of 29. Tuesday will be almost identical with temps ticking up to 38 and 55 for Wednesday.

For all of the experts out there, will these temps present a problem for us down the road with the concrete?

Thanks!

• Rack Etear
    14 years ago

As long as the concrete is cured (hard) it will be ok.

• poolguynj
    14 years ago

The storms we have been experiencing are more El-Nino related than anything else. When it subsides, the storms will ease.

Scott

• hwade
    Original Author
    14 years ago

We finally got a break in the weather this week so the deck was poured on Tuesday. I haven't had a chance to take any decent pictures yet but I will. The colors we chose for the stained concrete were steadman buff with a walnut release. So far the color looks significantly lighter than the sample work at the pool builder's office. I've been told it will darken once the sealer is applied.

Does anyone have any experience with stained concrete that can comment? Is this something I should be concerned about?

Thanks!

• amy_texas
    14 years ago

I am curious..has your tile been replaced yet?

• hwade
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Not yet. They're supposed to start that tomorrow. I'll post pics as soon as I get a chance. I hope it looks as good as yours!

• hwade
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Here's a shot of the deck. Once it's sealed it should be a darker brown color. The tile guys couldn't make it today so hopefully we'll see them on Monday.

• poolguynj
    14 years ago

Are those columns embedded in the concrete? Their bases may rot and you will have issues.

Scott

• hwade
    Original Author
    14 years ago

No. The arbor was braced and the columns were cut off just above deck level. They then dug 2' X 2' X 2' footers under each column before pouring the deck. The bracing in the picture above will be cut off at the deck and flagstone footers will go around each column.

We'll find out soon if it worked!

• to-the-beach
    14 years ago

Please let me know if you are pleased with the end results of your stained / stamped concrete. The decking issue is driving me crazy and I'm still deciding between Sundek (spray decking) or going the stained and/or stamped concrete route. Our backyard still has three feet of snow, so the project won't begin until late March!

• hwade
    Original Author
    14 years ago

We looked at several options for decking but opted for the stained/stamped concrete based mostly on the look. The pattern we chose is called Rockskin. Here's a closer shot.

• hwade
    Original Author
    14 years ago

The new tile was installed yeasterday. It looks like a subtle change in the picture but in person it's a big improvement.

Thanks again amy texas! This is exactly the look we had in mind. If it wasn't for you I would have made a decision I know I would have regretted later.

The best news is that Master tile agreed to absorb the costs of the original tile since what was delivered was so differant than the sample tiles we chose.

• hwade
    Original Author
    14 years ago

The last few weeks have been spent watching it rain, putting the stone boots on the arbor posts, cleaning and grading the backyard, and re-installing the sprinkler system. We're hoping for plaster on Tuesday. Here are a few of the latest shots.

• ftwpoolgirl
    14 years ago

The pool looks so inviting. Your yard looks so much cleaner than ours. We're at the same stage about as you. Waiting on sprinklers to be repaired, plaster and hopefully landscaping. Your privacy fence is so nice as well. Love the way they trimmed it out.

• hwade
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks! We're very happy so far.

Did you get the slide issue resolved?

• hwade
    Original Author
    14 years ago

The plaster went in today. It's Wet Edge Tahoe Blue. It was a very interesting process to watch. Tomorrow they'll acid wash. We're getting close!

• hwade
    Original Author
    14 years ago

We filled the pool a few days ago. It took 16 hours with two hoses running. The deck will get sealed this afternoon or tomorrow and then we're on to landscaping.

• brentr_gw
    14 years ago

Your pool looks wonderful. We are still working on our landscape and it is 7-8 mths later.....

• hwade
    Original Author
    14 years ago

The deck was sealed this week. It made a huge differance in the overall appearance. Here's a pic of the work in progress.

We also had the landscaping installed. I was a bit nervous about going with the native Texas look but now that it's done, we wouldn't change a thing. Still to go is mastic, laying more sod, and patio furniture.

• txmomoftwo
    14 years ago

Love the new tile! Deck looks great! Landscaping is coming along nicely. Now that you are almost done, is there anything you would do differently if you had to do it over again? We are about to begin. :)

• hwade
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks! Other than the initial tile selection, there really isn't anything else I would change. I thought I was well informed before signing the contract but I realize now how little I really knew. I feel very fortunate to have selected a builder that made the "right" decision for us time and time again. From design to equipment selection to fixing the small things throughout the process I always felt like their primary goal was to make me happy.

My advice is to make sure you pick a reputable builder, ask lots of questions, and try to be home as much as possible during the build. It's amazing what the subs will do for you if you're nice to them and don't mind footing the bill for lunch and drinks occasionally.

• hwade
    Original Author
    13 years ago

It's been a few months since I last posted but we finally have everything done. All of the landscaping is in and the furniture has all arrived so I thought I would end the thread with some final pics.

Thanks again to everyone who offered advice and guidance along the way! This is a great forum with wonderful people.

• jenno_tx
    13 years ago

Your pool and everything around it looks GREAT! I love your selections! I have a very similar deck (pool & yard too actually, ha!) and am very interested to know what type of sealant they used on your stamped concrete deck?? We need to do that to ours! Please let me know, thanks!

• mudn
    13 years ago

Looks great! I like the stepped spa spillover and the landscaping looks great too.

• hwade
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks! We're really happy with the final result. The sealer they used is called Clear Seal Premium Sealer 20% from Decorative Concrete Supply. They have stores in Carrollton, Buda, and Houston.

Here is a link that might be useful: Decorative Concrete Supply

• jenno_tx
    13 years ago

THANK YOU for the sealer info hwade! I'm VERY excited to do this to ours! I love your yard/pool/EVERYTHING. You did a FABULOUS job with selections! I wish I had done so well.....

• hwade
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks for the kinds words. I know it's little consolation but I REALLY think yours looks wonderful.

I noticed in your original build thread that you commented about sealed decks being slippery. It IS extremely slippery right after it is sealed. It helps if you throw sand on the sealer while it's still wet in between the first and second coats.

It took about two weeks for the gloss to wear off a little which reduced the slipperiness. The kids can now trot across the deck, despite our constant warnings, without busting their butts.

• neax2_tx_rr_com
    13 years ago

So, what was the cost?