Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mattinhouston

Another Houston build!

mattinhouston
12 years ago

Hello everyone.

1st bid, like the company although they have been slow with my proposal.

Perimeter footage: 114

Size: 44 x 12

Gallons 15,000

Area 473 Sf

Style: Geometric

Depths: 4/5.5/4.5

Hayward Cartridge Filter 3025

(1) Hayward TriStar EE 1.0HP pump

Pentair automatic Chlorinator

Hayward Navigator cleaner

(1) 500w Hayward Pool Light

Startup chemicals provided by contractor

Operation and maintenance instructions included

Contractor will provide client with telescopic pole, leaf net, test kit, Vac head & Vac hose

Remove and replace 6� section of fence

(2) Benches in Pool area

Tie in drains to main drain

340 Sf of Spray Decking

Remove slate on downstairs patio and apply spray decking to match

12x1x18 Raised wall with tiled front and side fascia with 18" Sheer descent

(2) Bubblers in bench

City of Houston/Harris county building and electrical permit

Total is $33,800. Not too bad but nothing really fancy either.

I am adding Pebblesheen and some extra decking, as well as thinking about 4 feet deep shallows leading to 8 feet in the deep end. Pool is narrow due to survey, 12' at its widest point in deep end, but probably averages 10'wide. It is 44 feet long.

I would be looking around $38k with these options, probably. Is this high? I have a second bidder coming out Saturday. I designed the shape of the pool and he will be bidding on the same design.

Thanks!

Comments (11)

• Stefv1
    12 years ago

Some of the stuff you listed is standard I think, but it sounds like a pretty decent to average price. I've priced with 4 different companies and I'm in Louisiana. Yours sounds pretty close to what I've been priced by all of them. We are adding a waterfall and some stones for some of the coping. Ours will be around 525 sq ft plus 700 sq ft of concrete work around the area. Our total is about $43,000. Good luck.

• mattinhouston
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks for the reply. I will post again after I meet with the second company. I will say they sound more prepared and experienced. He said when he comes over tomorrow he will sit down and draw everything out and price it all right there. If this is true, he will be doing in one day what it took the first company almost 2 weeks to accomplish!

Good luck! Any other opinions on my ~$38k price tag?

• mattinhouston
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Had the second bid this morning. I like this company even more, plus the pool rep was very professional and on time. His bid was also ~38k after applying a discount, but his dimensions (118 perimeter vs 114) were larger and he included 2 lights, a 4ft wide descent instead of 18", and a larger pump. He couldnt believe they only had a 1hp tristar in the bid. He suggested no less than a 2hp and preferably a 2.5hp. I am considering a 2 stage 2hp tristar to save on power bills. I think on full power it will be plenty.

He also said they could do stone scape mini pebble at a discount but I am sold on the pebblesheen. No need to skimp there.

I told him if he would do $36.5 I'd sign up today. He is checking with the boss...lol.

• mattinhouston
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Here's what we got so far...I am also replacing the black patio tiles with matching coping that will be around the pool. The patio is actually covered by the second floor master balcony. Ignore the model, its not correct. My home is a 2 story.

We havent decided on the type of coping yet. Also, the wooden fence really isnt there. My house is on the lake and there is a city of Houston easement that we cant build past, so they show it as a fence. We have limited room but I think it still works.

Only issue is both companies are completely contrast in pump selection. One company says I need no less than a 2hp or 2.5hp the other is advising a 1hp tristar, or 1.5hp at most. I am probably going with the cheaper of the two bids and I like them both. I hope I can get this all for $37k or less.

We have 100% decided on pebble sheen just dont know which color yet. Either Slate Blue or French Grey probably. Both companies are selling Stone Scapes at a discount, but I dont think I want to skimp on the plaster. They say Pebblesheen is good stuff.

{{!gwi}}.

• march2012
    12 years ago

Ours is 553 sq ft, but only 5 ft deep max so about 22K gallons. length is 35' x x17' rectangle. perimeter is 104. Similar in total size to yours. $63K.

Here are the items beyond what you have. Not sure they are worth a 20K difference :)

digging through solid limestone the whole way
    500 sq ft of paver decking
    250 sq ft of concrete decking
    250 sq ft patio cover
    hayward tristar 2hp
    hayward 520 cartridge filter
    2 lights (I think you will need two based on the length of the pool)
    hayward 400K btu heater

• mattinhouston
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Okay I decided on a builder, my final price is $36,755. I think I am getting a pretty good deal.

Perimeter footage: 114
    Size: 44x12
    Gallons 15,000
    Area 473Sf
    Style: Geometric
    Depths: 3.5/8/5

Flagstone coping
    Ceramic tile
    PebbleSheen standard color

Hayward 3025 filter
    Hayward Tristar EE 1.5hp pump
    Pentair auto chlorinator
    2 Hayward 500w pool lights

(3) 2" Suction Lines
    (4) 1-1/2" returns
    (2) Automatic Skimmers
    Dual Main Drains in Pool

Paramount Paralevel automatic water leveler
    444sf spray decking
    Remove slate patio and apply spray decking to match
    1 bench, 1 sun shelf
    2 bubblers in shelf
    12'x1'x18" tiled raised wall with 48" sheer descent
    All city/county permits included

I noticed they are pushing the smaller filter (3025)on my pool, I hope its plenty. Specs show it should be...

Very excited to get this thing started!

• poolguynj
    12 years ago

With filters, particularly with cartridges, bigger is better.

Scott

• mattinhouston
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Scott, do you think I should ask for the 4025 on this size pool? They said they would do it if I wanted the larger one, but the 3025 is more than sufficient and the filters are a little cheaper.

Thoughts?

• poolguynj
    12 years ago

Cleaning will be a bit more frequent and generally, with a larger filter, the water goes through it slower, which is better for filtration.

Will it make much of a diff? Not enough that you could tell.

Scott

• mattinhouston
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Sounds good...He basicly said the same as you, cleaning every 6 months or so instead of 9. I decided to keep what they recommend.

Signed the contract today. Looking forward to the mass destruction!

• Gloria
    9 years ago

I am also in Houston. Who did you end up using? And how did your pool turn out? Any Picts?

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, OH