Return to the Pools & Spas Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Motor Replacement

Posted by newport2001 (My Page) on
Sun, Jan 23, 11 at 0:19

We had a sta-rite motor that was replaced with a century centurion. Is the century any good? We have a home warranty on the home so their pool contractor for the area came out and replaced it. Unfortunately I wasn't home at the time and they have the old pump so I don't know which sta-rite model it was.

The only thing I do know is that our sta-rite was a 2.5hp and now we have a 2hp. I definitely will be saying something about that. We have a 31k gallon pool.

Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Motor Replacement

If your plumbing is 2" or smaller, don't complain. The 2 HP will eat less power and push about the same amount of water. Bigger is not usually better.

A 2.5 HP motor with the proper sized impeller needs bigger plumbing than most older pools have. I take it you are not in California or Title 20 rules would have required a 2 speed or variable speed pump.

Scott

o

Did you mean to say that they replaced the entire pump or just the motor on the existing pump?

With just a motor replacement, the new motor service factor HP should have been at least as big as the old motor.

o

Sorry, yes they just replaced the motor. How does the Century compare with the Sta-Rite that I had. Thanks.

o

The motor on the Sta-Rite is not made by them. I prefer A.O. Smith but Century is ok too.

Scott

o

"The only thing I do know is that our sta-rite was a 2.5hp and now we have a 2hp. I definitely will be saying something about that. We have a 31k gallon pool. "

A 2.5HP 1.1 SF , and 2hp 1.25+ SF motor are the exact same motor.

Check the SF on the new motor if it's above 1.25 you are good.

There is a term call "up-rate" which means a sales schmuck can sell a bigger pump, and have a more impressive number on his bid sheet.

I hope with stuff like title 20 forcing service techs, and salesmen to put more thought into energy efficiency this whole BS practice Uprating pumps dies.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Pools & Spas Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here