Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
grottoguy_gw

New Construction

grottoguy
9 years ago

I am building a pool in NJ. My waterfall pump was supposed to be three inch piping and the PB was going to give me two side drains (i.e., instead of main drains on the bottom of the pool, he was putting them on the side of the pool). At the last minute we changed the contract to permit me to have them put in the bottom of the pool. Right before he started the dig I exercised my right under the contract and he put a set of two main drains for the waterfall pump in the deep end floor. There are also two other sets of main drains for the other two pumps. However, I noticed that he was using 2 inch flex pipe (which was under the steel and would be covered by Gunite). When I mentioned that the waterfall piping was supposed to be three inches he said that he can't put three inch flex piping there because he can't get three inch flex pipe and that if we kept it as it is with the 2 inch pipe, the waterfall pump would draw so much water that when it was running it would stop the skimmer from working. He said " We have two options; keep the main drains the way we have it but when you use your waterfall pump the deep end skimmer will be restricted due to the large pump drawing more water from it. The other option is to leave the main drains for the pool and regular booster the way we have it and install 3" side wall suctions for the waterfall pump. This sounds like the best option to me as it won't limit you on anything. So you would have 4 main drains and a set of two side wall suctions at 3"

My question is: Is it not possible to get three inch flex pipe that will go in the pool? When I asked him about putting in a hard pipe there he said "[w]e cannot install hard pipe down to the main drains because the pipe has to bend with the shape of the deep end bowl (which we encase in gunite)."

Any comments?