Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
poolbound

Were swimming.....in November!!!

Poolbound
18 years ago

Well, I think I figured out how to post pics. I know our pool is not nearly as nice as some of the ones on this site, but we sure are happy to be swimming. Keep in mind that we are not nearly done. We stillhave to finish the retaining wall, install laminars and lights and do landscaping. Next Spring we will have a backyard Oasis. But for now, were swimming!!!

Comments (19)

• Poolbound
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Well, not all of the pics posted, so here are some of the kids enjoyng the pool.

• padrefan
    18 years ago

CONGRATULATIONS!!!!! Kids look like they're having a ball. Just think, if you're swimming in Nov. how much are you gonna use that pool next summer?!? Makes it all worth while, huh?

• cathouse9
    18 years ago

Weeeeeeeeeee! How fun! I assume you have it heated. What area are you in? Don't you have to have a fence?

I just swam in mine for the first time today. Great feeling!

• mitchcarnie
    18 years ago

You must be back East, no backyard fences. How will you handle keeping your pool secure from little ones who may wander over? Beautiful pool and neighborhood!

• jillnj4
    18 years ago

How fun! Nice pool! Congratulations! You absolutely do need to have pool fencing in the East. The big joke with my friends (2 families who put pools in earlier this year) is how long they had to put up with that ugly orange plastic temporary fence until their fencing contractors finally got around to coming. I'm sure Poolbound's got that covered.

• rheddhedd
    18 years ago

CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!
    You have some very happy kids there!
    Enjoy,
    Sally

• cathouse9
    18 years ago

Okay, I didn't think anyone was allowed a pool without a fence - maybe there are some though. We were not allowed to PebbleTec until the fence was inspected by the county. That's why I was surprised to see your full pool with no fence :)

• Poolbound
    Original Author
    18 years ago

We are in the midwest and yes, we have to install a fence. It is going in later this week. With a fiberglass pool and the small size of our yard, there is no way that we could put up the fence until the pool was done. Like Jillnj4 said, we have an orange construction fence that goes around the pool. It does make me nervous because it does not seem like it would be very effective in keeping anyone out. Most of the neighbor kids are older and the ones with the little ones are aware of the project and have been keeping a close eye on their kids.

As for heat, you bet! We cranked up the heat to 81 degrees. THe water felt great. Although, the gas meter was whizzing around so fast it almost ignited a fire. Oh well, we only had it on for 2 days and it was well worth it. We probably will not use it again this season as it is turning cold. We won't close the pool until next week when everything else is hooked up and running properly (before we make that last payment).

I will post more pics in the Spring after we get our landscaping in. Thanks for the kind words.

• jillnj4
    18 years ago

Here in NJ, I don't know why, but it seems the norm to have the permanent fencing be the LAST stage of the project, well after the pools are filled with water. I agree it seems very backward as well as very dangerous.

• snookums
    18 years ago

Seems that a chain link "construction" fence would have been safer and just as temporary (they move them from job site to job site). Unfortunately, it's going to take a child to die before someone realizes that the orange mesh fence isn't going to cut it...

(Sorry to be such a downer)

I think it's wonderful that you got some swimming in before you have to say goodbye to the pool for the season! We expect to finish in January - and you had better believe that I will be using the spa right away!!

• cathouse9
    18 years ago

PS: Our pool guy said the 400,000 BTU pool heater costs $5 an hour to run. Well worth it for your 2 days of enjoyment I'm sure.

We locked our therm rate in at 1.129 right before it went too high.

• mitchcarnie
    18 years ago

Were in the midwest do you live? I laugh at you comment about your lot size. That is a huge lot by California standards!

• snookums
    18 years ago

Mitchcarnie - I was thinking the same thing, sitting here in my little 88x50 lot (with the fence still standing, the house still standing (I think) and plumbing trenches being dug!

• AZAmber
    18 years ago

Those smiling faces say it all! It looks great! :-)

(Hope to be joining your ranks soon....we're excavated and plumbed!)

• Poolbound
    Original Author
    18 years ago

We live in a suburb of St. Louis called O'Fallon, MO its about 30 minutes from downtown St Louis. The lot we have is average for most of the subdivisions. We built the house in 2000.

• Poolbound
    Original Author
    18 years ago

They got the laminars put in today. Here are a couple of pics. It is hard to capture them on film. But they look pretty cool. They will look great after we do landscaping. We are thinking about putting a fake palm tree in the cutout between the two laminars.

• rheddhedd
    18 years ago

Laminars look awesome!
    Will look really cool with a palm...but why fake?

• Poolbound
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Rheddhedd- We live in St. Louis and its gets mighty cold and snowy in the winter. A real palm would never survive and I am the low maintenance type and do not want to have to dig it up each fall. We found some fake ones that look really cool, that is if you can't have the real thing.

• rheddhedd
    18 years ago

I hear you in the low maintenance dept! My mother on the other hand had a green "arm"! We had a few palms by our pool when I was growing up in Memphis. She would wrap 2 of them (that were in ground) in the winter. The other one was in a really big pot and she would move it inside during the winter...really funny cuz it was huge. They were around for years. Me, I can kill cactus! =D