Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
spatacular

Landscaping Ideas

spatacular
18 years ago

Pools been completed for a few months. Any suggestions on where I might look to design my own landscaping? I don't require much, pool fills the backyard.

Comments (7)

• carolyn01
    18 years ago

HI BEAUTIFUL POOL, WHAT COLOR DID YOU GO WITH? LOOKS LIKE A MEDIUM GRAY ALSO WE ARE STILL TRYING TO DECIDE ON OUR LANDSCAPING BUT WILL PROBABLY GO WITH SOME TROPICAL PLANTS PALMS OF DIFFERENT SORTS. OURS WILL TAKE UP ALOT OF OUR BACK YARD TO.

• SDHeritage
    18 years ago

We went with the tropical theme. The plants have grown signifigantly since July.

M

Here is a link that might be useful: Our Pool Remodel Site

• spatacular
    Original Author
    18 years ago

It's Pebble sheen and your half right about the color.....Slate Blue. For landscaping I too am really leaning to tropical palms and tropicals that can survive the winter temps in Sacramento

• wetdog
    18 years ago

Go tropical !! How cold does it get where you are? What exposure? Protected areas?
    Go with Queen palms, sago palm, Green vines with colorful flowers to soften the walls/fences. How about Bouganvilla?
    You may have to replace after the last frost due to freezing. What I do is just invest in a few new vines every spring expecting them to freeze. Costly but sort of like buying cut flowers except the vines live until they freeze.
    I am in the Eastbay,a valley with no marine influence to keep us a little warmer.
    Good luck!

• snookums
    18 years ago

SD Heritage - I just checked out your pictures - what an amazing transformation to your whole yard!

I've gotta ask though - before your remodel, why did you have both an in-ground and an above-ground spa - two spas?

• SDHeritage
    18 years ago

Thanks.

We had both spas because the inground did not work, and we had the above ground when we bought the house (10 years ago), so we kept it. No more, it sits in the driveway until we can find someone that wants to buy it.

We started the renovations and have not stopped.

Mike

• snookums
    18 years ago

spatacular - I would not do too much, as like you said, the pool takes up most of the yard and trees and plants will grow - fast - in a couple of years they will be more mature and therefore, a lot larger. You don't want to overdo it now and be pulling stuff out in a couple of years (ie, make the same mistake we did).

We have a similar setup, with even less space. What we are going to do is get a few key items - just a few trees and shrubs - some queen palms, birds of paradise, etc - and then fill in the empty spaces with inexpensive annuals that we will redo each year until the greenery is more mature.

You said you wanted a tropical theme, so I'd just buy a few key sturdy pieces and place them strategically, (the nursery guy should be able to help you choose) and then reevaluate in a year and see what still needs to be filled in.