Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
snookums_gw

Built-in but not really BBQ islands?

snookums
18 years ago

We went to BBQ's Galore this afternoon and opted for one of their BBQ islands that look built in, but they really aren't - they deliver it and plop them down. We have a small backyard as many of you know, and so we opted for a smaller version so as not to overwhelm the yard. It is 48 inches wide and 24 inches deep, has a stucco side and a tile countertop (looks like a travertine but I'm sure it's not true travertine), with a 3-burner Turbo grill that BBQ's Galore sells. We've heard from several people that this is a good brand. They had this island with a black grill and a black access door for $899 (the Turbo "Classic"), and we opted to upgrade to stainless steel (the grill to the Turbo STS and a stainless steel access door) for an additional $300. The grill is probably about 25/26 inches wide (I didn't measure that) and has a little sliver of countertop to the left of it (big enough for drinks) and the rest leaving a wide area of countertop to the right of it on the island. We got it in natural gas and will hook it up to the house gas line which is right there where we want to put the island - we don't even have to pay to run a line.

We did get it on sale but still had to pay $200 delivery and installation. (and tax) I think it'll look built-in without really being built-in.

The grill is top quality - down to the cast stainless steel burners. And it'll be nice to have that surface even when we're not grilling for food and drinks and stuff.

Think we got a good deal? We are hearing from people who paid $5000 to even $15,000 for a built-in BBQ and we honestly didn't think we'd be able to afford anything but something rickety on a stand... Even this was a little more than we anticipated to spend (well with the pool and all!) but it WAS dh's birthday last week and this really is his toy... I'm a vegetarian!

Of course we won't be able to get it delivered until we have, well, a deck.

Anyone have a Turbo grill and/or one of the built-in-but-not-really setups?

Comments (2)