Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kptfire

kptfire's pool

kptfire
18 years ago

We are almost ready for plaster - just a few more things left to do.

{{!gwi}}
{{!gwi}}
{{!gwi}}
{{!gwi}}
{{!gwi}}
{{!gwi}}

Comments (18)

• Mel2001
    18 years ago

WOW! Your pool is just beautiful! I love the flagstone on the baja shelf and the steps! It's really a good thing that I didn't see your pool before ours was done, otherwise I'd have added the flagstone (and increased our budget)!

What finish are you going with? Colored plaster?? Pebbletec???

-Melissa

• kptfire
    Original Author
    18 years ago

We still have not decided what type of plaster were choosing. We are looking at the Sandstone "No Fear", "Blue Granite", or "Emerald Hills Series - Black w/ Designer Aqua" I think we have strayed away from "Gold Pearl" or "Sedona Buff", even though these colors would make the flagstone stand out. I don't think we want out water looking green. It would be nice to see a picture of someone's pool with the Emerald Hills Series as stated above.

Pamela

• mitchcarnie
    18 years ago

Looks beautiful. That is a large pool. You even put rock on your steps, very nice! We like the Blue Granite, however would have liked the Ocean Blue Sheen even more.

• rheddhedd
    18 years ago

Pamela,
    What a beautiful pool. The rock work is awesome. Is the "tile" actually a tile or is it rock cut to fit? It looks great! I can't wait to see it full of water! =D
    Sally

• mitchcarnie
    18 years ago

What kind of rock did you go with for the coping and baja steps? Did you get it from Anna? It's interesting how you can tell the rock mason from the work they do,they all have their own style kind of like a Picasso or Van Gough.

• kptfire
    Original Author
    18 years ago

The "tile" and the benches, steps, and cabo are three rivers select. We chose to go with the more expensive variety (select = 1" thickness) so we would not lose any depth in our cabo area. We purchased the majority of the flagstone at Silverado, there prices were a little cheaper. The last pallet of 2" patio grade came from Anna and she matched Silverado's price. The rocks are Sierra boulders. We ended up getting 22 tons or rock alone. I would have to see how much flagstone we actually purchased. Our plans originally was to have flagstone decking until we got the estimate...ouch. Hence, we have decided to go with stamped concrete that will match the flagstone. We still have to pick out the colors. Eventually we will do something with the existing concrete, as far as color, that will be down the road. On the far side of the pool, where all of the dirt is, we are going to have grass to soften the look around the pool. My husband and I have been very active in the pool building experience. We actually drove the dump trucks, ran our own gas line, set the form boards for the bond beam, etc.... We are definitely ready for water!! In our free time (what little there is), we have been surfing for a getaway vacation on a cruise - just to relax.

• PagsPool
    18 years ago

Your pool is awesome!!! We're still trying to finalize our decision re which flagstone to use for our coping, and your three river looks great.... How big and deep is your pool???

• mitchcarnie
    18 years ago

I'd love to see it when you are done. Looks great! I bet you saved a lot doing all of that work yourself. I know running the gas line cost me a fortune even though there was already a trench.

• kptfire
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Good question regarding depth and size... We had our pool plans drawn up, and on the dig day when the excavator went to use the plans, there was a slight flaw. My husband decided to mark the pool with a spray can, since all the excavation equipment had been rented, and was at the house. The pool was suppose to be 4' to 9', and now it is 4' - 10'. The linear feet is 150', including the spa. The actual square footage, we aren't quite sure, at least 1000', gallonage (who knows). We are having the guy who drew up the plans come back out and take a look so we can get some true dimensions. It is hard to figure them out because of the freeform style.

• snookums
    18 years ago

Absolutely beautiful!!!

I read in a pool book how to figure the freeform style square footage. You plot the pool on graph paper, each square representing a square foot, and count them, to get the surface square footage. Then you add the shallow end depth to the deep end depth and divide by two, to get the average depth. Then multiply the average depth by the surface footage to get your total square footage. Then each square foot holds a certain number of gallons, but I forget what that is.

Also, be sure you measure depth from the bottom to the waterline, not the top of the tile - there is a 6 inch difference.

Someone please correct me if I am wrong on all that...

• kptfire
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thank you for the formula. My husband and I will take a look at it and see if we can make heads or tails of it. Yesterday the contractor acid washed the flagstone, and today I neutralized it and pressurized it. We will wait at least 36 hrs. before sealing the tile and coping. I can say it looks really nice now.

• eimea
    18 years ago

Nice! Please post more pictures after plaster and water!!

Aimee

• kptfire
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Decking is in - plaster is next week. This project seems to be flying now. We are quite pleased with everything so far. Yesterday, we were told it would be in our best interest to remove 2 of the trees that are near the pool due to root issues. We were a little disappointed to hear this but, it will be worth it in the long run. Here are some pictures of the decking:

• Mel2001
    18 years ago

Wow--I am just blown away by the size of your yard! Is that a (red) tennis court in the background?? BTW, the pool and decking are beautiful, as well! :)

-Melissa

• kptfire
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Last summer we put in the sports court. I wanted a burgandy court but, my husband and son won. They got a red & black court w/ their custom logo. We planted some photina behind that short wall. We are going to let it grow up about 3-4' and block some of the court. We like the backyard alot, and hopefully we will be spending more time in it with the new extras. I will post a picture of what it looked like before all of the pool construction.

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

• padrefan
    18 years ago

That's one honkin' big yard. Where are you located again? We have big yards, and my neighbor just put in a sport court. Good thing they didn't do it last year or my husband would have wanted that instead of the pool! Looks great.

• kptfire
    Original Author
    18 years ago

We live in Elk Grove, CA. We decided to put the sports court in first, thinking that we would use it more than the pool. As it turns out, we didn't use the sports court that much in the summer because of the heat. We had no where to go to get refreshed. I definitely feel things will be changing around here.

• Mel2001
    18 years ago

That is just the coolest yard! At first I thought you had a public park behind your backyard.

So...are you going to add a trampoline in between the pool and sport court (so you can cool off easier by bouncing into the water)...? :)

Between jjs_austin's pool and your backyard...would *both* of you adopt me?!?!? :)

-Melissa