Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
last_mango

Standard 14 x 28 Pool

last_mango
18 years ago

By request, here are some more pics of my pool. I guess my original thread got bumped off. We did the standard pool company package for the only size that would fit in our yard (based on town code). It's been an amazing summer with a pool - I don't think we could have possibly enjoyed it any more had it been any bigger. For fun, I thought I'd put in some photos of the process, too:

Sunset after a hard day of play - I also tried to give an idea of the size based on our backyard (30 x 100):

The beginning - yikes - the dig hitting water at 4' deep:

Hey, what happened to my front yard?

After gunnite, the guy doing the steps was fun to watch:

Tile and coping:

Florida Gem finish (sky blue) around the turtle mosaic:

Filled with city water (ugh):

Finally, clean, clear water (love that salt water generator!):

Comments (21)

• gaylek
    18 years ago

It looks absolutely wonderful! I know you did enjoy it this summer. I don't think I have seen the finished pictures so thanks for sharing! I remember when you started the dig! Enjoy!
    Gayle

• EastBaySPFZero
    18 years ago

What sort of city codes did you run into? We have a 35x60 foot back yard (not counting the side yards) although we also have a 6ft easement behind our back fence line that helped. We have a 10 ft setback off of the property line for the water line so in reality we only needed it about 5 feet from fence to water.

• last_mango
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Gayle - Thanks! It's been pretty intense ever since the dig, it seems - there is always so much to be done out in the yard. I love working out there, but for everything I get done, there are a hundred (it seems) that I don't. I still have a lot more landscaping, sod, patio cover, lighting, etc. Did you close your pool yet? It's still hot here! Did you ever get your electrical problem figured out?

EBSPGZ - Our codes require 5' from inside waterline to house and 10' to back lot line. In the end, I'm happy with the size of the pool and the extra room along the fence to plant stuff (which seems to be my newest obsession). We could have gone longer, but then it wouldn't have fit in the "standard" size anymore and would have upped the cost too much.

Snookums ~getting more comfortable with the term :-), You're welcome. Sounds like you will have a fun yard when you're done. Hey, the spa will probably even make the pool seem bigger - we're gonna do a stand alone someday off in the corner (add that to my "to do" list). I'll go post on your small yard thread to get it started...

• CJMDWYER
    18 years ago

Our backyard is 55 wide and 44 deep from the edge of the patio to the fence. Our pool will take up half of it basicly. We still want grass and we have a small garden in the back corner as well with some citrus trees. We are still in the fencing and irrigation part of the "re-build".........

• carolyn01
    18 years ago

HI EVERYONE, SO GLAD TO HERE PEOPLE ARE HAPPY WITH THEIR 14x28 POOL. WE JUST STARTED THE BIG DIG TODAY AND HAVE DECIDED ON THIS SIZE ALSO. WILL TAKE PICTURES AS WE GO AND WILL POST. CAROLYN

• last_mango
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Some landscaping thoughts and photos.

We have planted a lot around the pool. Amazing how fast things have grown and yet how much more there is to do! We have many palms: traveler (not really a palm, but a great poolside plant), bamboo palm, foxtail & christmas (both very "clean" palms), coconut, alexander, montgomery, triangle, areca (have to keep up with that), and bismark & spindle (both in front yard).

We have bamboo (clumping, not running - save your breath - I LOVE bamboo) ~ black, sunburst, and hawaiian stripe. They are placed further away to avoid the leaves/casings from dropping in the pool.

{{gwi:402244}}

Lots of vines: passion flower, sky and dutchman's pipe (both got wiped out by hurricane Wilma, but are slowly making a comeback), bleeding heart, black-eyed susan, and some type of thryallis.

I also have crotons, jatropha (great hardy plant with a constant red flower), buddha belly (cool looking), plumeria, ruellia, many hibiscus, angel/devil trumpets (another fast grower with a unique look), some florida natives (cocoplum, salt & pepper, beauty berry, lantana, necklace pod), some heliconias, various clerodendrums, banana trees, and more I can't remember...

• rheddhedd
    18 years ago

Thanks for the palm pix. We are just at that point of decision for our landscape. We want to do a "tropical" theme around the pool and are finding there are soooooooo many palms. It's nice to know which are pool friendly...I do not want to spend time chasing palm droppings from the pool! I am not a good plant person. I'm afraid my thumbs are far from green. What are the most independent (needing the least help from me) of the palms?
    Thanks for your help,
    Sally

• last_mango
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Sally, I think my Christmas palms (the third picture above shows them with my traveler palm that I really like, too, behind my pool) are probably the easiest. I've heard they're susceptible to "lethal yellowing disease", but we don't have that in our area. The foxtails, alexanders, and montgomery are all "self-cleaning", too. I'm not sure what water requirements they have - we use a free-flowing artesian well with sprinkler system to water them (for free) every other day.

Have fun, I never grew anything until I started the landscaping after the pool. I knew I wanted palms and bamboo and after reading on the Florida Gardening forum here I learned so much about other stuff that will grow. Very cool to pick it out, plant it, and watch it all yourself!

You're in Arizona, right? There's a forum for you, too...

Here is a link that might be useful: Arizona Gardening Link

• last_mango
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Just a recent photo to show some of the plant growth around the pool:

• tinamccullagh
    18 years ago

Last Mango, your pool is gorgeous and I love your dog is it a french bulldog?. We have a boston terrier and they look a bit alike.Does he like the water (could be she of course).

• last_mango
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Well, it's summer and things are really starting to take off in the garden. I'm posting some recent landscaping pics to show the growth - especially for those of you who helped in my original "hide the shed" dilema!

Obviously we're still in the middle of many projects - another patio, fountain, patio cover, sod, rock wall, etc. We love being out in the yard (the pool makes it great) and prefer to do all the projects ourselves. Currently DH is revamping the outside shower - hooray!

Tina, (just saw your comment this morning), Thanks, yes he is a french bulldog. He goes nuts when we're in the pool - unless he's on the boogie board in the middle of things. He's not a great swimmer (too dense), but he now knows where the steps are and can make it to them. We never let him around the pool unless we're there, though.

The shed is almost gone... This is mostly a passion flower vine with great flowers (although there is a black-eyed susan in there, too):

The bamboo is doing great!

Palms, dwarf poinciana just starting to bloom, and the beginnings of our fountain:

• island_girl
    17 years ago

Wow!!! Your plants really took off!!! Everything looks great; it's obvious you put a lot of love into your garden. What in the world is that amazing looking flower in the close up photo?!
    Amy

• last_mango
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Hi Amy, Thanks. I'm really happy with the way things are growing. It all got pretty beat down last year after hurricane Wilma and then it was a slow winter. BUT, now things are bursting.

I love picking out the plants, planting them, and then watching them - it's like three 'gifts' in each plant!

The close-up is a passionflower. There are hundreds of varieties, and this particular one bears fruit. Right now the vine is loaded with flowers - very cool looking.

• looony2nz
    17 years ago

wow,nice job. We will be doing some "dressing up" of the yard just as soon as we get the additional pavers done, which will be mid June or so. (they are on order) I want simple and easy stuff so my husband doesn't have to slave over it.....great job though !

• last_mango
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Things really went wild this summer. What a great time to have a pool in Florida. It has been HOT. I love lounging in the pool and watching thes plants grow!

Hey, here's my outdoor shower, too. It's fabulous, built by dh!

• tommy281
    17 years ago

great thread.....Il be getting a 14.6 by 28.6 pool.

dig in a few weeks.ill post pics.

• last_mango
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Time sure flies... I spent ALL day out by the pool yesterday. After several years, I'm still thrilled with our pool and the family (and all the visitors) still really enjoy it. The kids continue to swim and have not tired of it. I LOVE it after a day working in the yard.

Here's a couple of pics that show the changing landscape:

{{gwi:403776}}

• lorriekay
    16 years ago

I remember seeing pics of the gate your dh made & it's so cute. Don't stop posting pics of your pool progress ~ I enjoy looking at them :)

• last_mango
    Original Author
    13 years ago

It's been a long time! Plants are still growing like crazy and someone asked for an update...

• bob_milos
    13 years ago

"Our codes require 5' from inside waterline to house and 10' to back lot line."

last_mango -- You are in FL, yes? Are these setback distances state regulations, county regulations, or municipal regulations? If county, which county are you in? I've been searching like crazy to find the regs for Sarasota City/County, but am coming up empty. Any thoughts as to where I can find it...?

Many thanks in advance,
    - B. -