Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
slowmo_gw

Pool progress

slowmo
18 years ago

Here are some progress pics, from the dig of my pre-existing yard to the current stage--plumbing and rebar. The pool was designed to fit with my existing patio, which is why the pool took the shape it has. The rocks shown in the pictures of my yard before dig were from a waterfall (now dug out) that was part of the yard.

There will be a bridge going across the pool at the narrowest part--to the right of the spa.

Awaiting gunite next week!!

(Pics are in reverse order of progress......)

Comments (22)

• Mel2001
    18 years ago

Wow--great pictures! The "spa bridge" is going to look cool when finished.

How is your progress going?

-Melissa

• slowmo
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Well, we were done with gunite about 14 days ago. Electrical and gas lines are in.

Today, we started on coping and tile......that, along with the bridge, should last the next couple of weeks.

Some pictures post gunite:

[

• slowmo
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Done with coping and raised bond beam...now on to the waterfall......

and rocks coming over the wall

• padrefan
    18 years ago

Wow. They did a nice job with the flagstone. It looks great. Love the stairs!

• Mel2001
    18 years ago

slowmo: Thanks for posting the updated photos. The stone turned out beautifully. You have the most unusual shaped pool I've seen on this forum. What is the bridge going to be made out of? Also, what finish (plaster, Pebble, etc.) are you going with?

-Melissa

• slowmo
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thanks for the compliments.

The bridge will be a steel (rebar) base structure, with cement being poured over to flesh it out. It will then be covered with a flagstone (quartzite) on the top, and the side finished with a cement stone---called "El Dorado"--- which gives a ledger stone look.

The pool bottom will be a medium gray plaster.

As for the shape, it was driven by a desire to keep my patio and the trees on the side. The bridge came about as a way to "explain" why the pool is so skinny in the middle, and to give an alternate way to get to the spa other than walking around the side of the pool or swimming over.

• Mel2001
    18 years ago

In looking at your photos again, and you may have already thought of this, but make sure your builder "buffs" or "grinds" the sharp pieces of all the flagstone. Ours did on our Three River Rock flagstone (all 118 linear feet) and we don't have any sharp/rough edges.

-Melissa

• jennifer_in_clyde
    18 years ago

Your pool is looking beautiful! Very unusual - but it just "fits" so well in your yard! Can I ask the measurements (especially curious about how wide it is at the "skinny" part!)

• slowmo
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Pool overall is 17' at widest point, 42' long, with 3 1/2' depth at shallow end to 7' at the deep end. The "skinny part" is just a shade under 8' wide.

• slowmo
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Waterfall (with bench/steps leading to it) is done:

and some rocks for sitting on by the spa:

• mitchcarnie
    18 years ago

Looks sharp!

• Mel2001
    18 years ago

Wow, slowmo, the waterfall is beautiful! How many tons of rock is that?

-Melissa

• rheddhedd
    18 years ago

great waterfall, can't wait to see it in action!

• slowmo
    Original Author
    18 years ago

I am not sure of the total tonnage, but the total number of rocks used to make the waterfall is just over 50.....

• snookums
    18 years ago

It looks great!! I love how you were able to integrate it into your current patio. It must make it easier to go outside and check out the pool progress, too! I have to put on combat gear to get out into my yard right now!

• slowmo
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Nearing the end.....the bridge is finally under construction. They poured the concrete base (7" thick) and will wait about a week before removing from forms. Then, it will be topped with flagstone, and the sides with an El Dorado Stone. Then....on to plaster!!

• rheddhedd
    18 years ago

very very cool!
    The bridge is a great touch.
    When do you expect water?
    Can't wait to see the finished product!
    Sally

• padrefan
    18 years ago

I love your pool. It's going to be so great...very original. Good job!

• slowmo
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Well, bridge is finally done. Plaster comes next, and after 4 months we are finally done!!!

It turned out to be a little "thick" (high) on the spa side, so to make it less bulky we will probably put a potted plant on each side.....

• rheddhedd
    18 years ago

It looks great!
    Will the bridge be slippery when it gets wet?
    (sorry to get so practical!)

• aqua_man
    18 years ago

Great looking pool. I love how your waterfall looks so natural. I hope you get pics of it in action I bet that will be some sight.

• loves2read
    15 years ago

could we see some pix of this pool with water in it---
    would really like to know how the bridge looks with people floating under it...
    because of our lot/pool location (just contemplated)...something like this might help us out with spa location...
    reminds me of the Riverwalk in SA where we spent our honeymoon...lots of lovely bridges over the river and some of the hotels do the same thing in their pools...