Return to the Plumbing Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Problems with air in my reverse osmosis

Posted by az_condo (My Page) on
Fri, Dec 17, 10 at 23:56

I hope someone can help me because I can't find an answer on google. I'm trying to figure out the issue with my reverse osmosis system. When I flip open the RO faucet to get water the pressure is good for a 1/2 minute or so and then I hear this air escaping sound and then I lose most of my water pressure. I'm not leaking any water. I have a three filter stage system with a large tank and the tube that runs into the stages shakes when I hear the air escaping sound. Can someone point me in the right direction?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Problems with air in my reverse osmosis

Check the storage tank for proper air charge. If you get water at the air valve the bladder is ruptured.

Remove and drain the tank. Check the air pressure with no water in it. Should be about 7 psi. It's a small volume of air so you have to be quick with the air gauge. Digital gauges work well. You'll need a bicycle pump to add air. A compressor may damage the internal bladder.

Let us know what you find.

o

Thanks I think that fixed my problem. I drained the tank and then took a hand pump and added pressure until it reached 7 psi. I put it all back together and then I noticed on top of the tank that water was seeping out from the valve. The valve was lose. Since I bought the place with the RO in, I thought it was suppose to be somewhat lose. I took the tank back out and re-drained the water, tightened the valve and then re-checked the pressure. I then put it all back together and it works like it should. As a tip, the water came out of the tank slowly when draining. I screwed the pump into the pressure valve and the water came gushing out.

Thanks again.

o

Water leaking is usually an indicator that something is wrong.

Fixes that are EZ and cost nothing are always preferred.

Since the RO was in the house when you bought it now is a good time to establish a routine service cycle. Pre and post filters should be changed and the RO sanitized. Would be a good idea to get a TDS tester, or have the RO water tested for TDS, and see if the RO is performing correctly. Should have a rejection rate of 90% or higher. If not a complete filter and membrane change and sanitize is recommended.

o

"Would be a good idea to get a TDS tester, or have the RO water tested for TDS, and see if the RO is performing correctly."

Ditto. If your membrane isn't performing, that's pretty much the ball game.

Below is one alternative among many. Used to be expensive but not cheap enough that anyone with RO should have one, IMHO.

Here is a link that might be useful: One alternative among many

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Plumbing Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here