Return to the Plumbing Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Help... Pinholes in Copper Pipes!!

Posted by autiger8820 (My Page) on
Mon, Dec 17, 12 at 23:16

I have had 3 pinholes occur in the copper piping in my house...

My house is only 6 years old, and all the pinholes have occured within the last 4 weeks. All of them on the hotwater line coming from the hot water heater, within 15 feet of the tank.... I am on County water...

I replaced the three sections where the pinholes were, and inside the copper pipe I removed, a black film coated the interior of the pipe, and the interior of the pipe also felt like sand paper....

I dont understand why this happened or how copper 6 years old has become so bad..

1. What has caused this condition? How do I determine the cause?

3 Can i prevent it from getting worse?

2. How bad is this problem, and will I have to relpace the pipe in the whole house?

Thanks for the help... i am pretty clueless about this stuff...

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Help... Pinholes in Copper Pipes!!

Are the galvanic isolators (plastic rings on the tank connections there?

The tank is steel.

It will corrode the copper pipe if connected without an isolator.

They are usually built into the tank connections, but could have been removed.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Plumbing Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here