Return to the Plumbing Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Removing Steam Valve (and everything else)

Posted by elisa73 (My Page) on
Sat, Dec 22, 12 at 23:05

I hope this makes sense: We have a steam pipe valve sticking out from the kitchen floor.

There used to be a radiator attached to it, but it had been removed by the previous owner. The valve that sticks out prevents the door to the basement to open fully. When the heat is on, the valve is hot (I'm guessing it's still connected to the heater).

We are thinking of removing it ourselves, because we have finished all the money in our home renovation and the plumber is too expensive. Can we do this ourselves?

What's step-by-step? We can see the pipe from the basement, so we follow it and turn off the steam that goes to it and then remove the valve in the kitchen? Do we need to cap off the pipe in the basement? If so, how do you cap it off?

Thanks,
Elisa

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Removing Steam Valve (and everything else)

How old is the piping? If it's steam, safe bet it's well more than 50 years....

Having just replaced some steel piping from the furnace (hydronic system) that's as old as the house (75 yo), steel fittings give up the ghost grudgingly, if at all. I had to use a Sawzall to remove a reducing tee when a 2' pipe wrench, a 4' cheater bar and lots of penetrant couldn't.

Is a working furnace a good enough gift to the wife for Christmas? ;-)

Cheers

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Plumbing Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here