Return to the Plumbing Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Real Bad Hot water tank leak!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by nita1950 (My Page) on
Thu, Dec 28, 06 at 22:45

We returned home tonight and water was everywhere! The hot water tank was leaking a stream of water from the top that flowed down the sides. I went to Lowes to get a shop wet/dry vac and thought that we would never get all of the water up.

I don't know what happened. Does this mean that we need a new water heater? We have shut off the water to the house...turned it back on later to wash our hands and water flowed really bad again from the heater. This is an electric heater. I don't know how old it is, but I have lived in the house for 12 years and it was here when I rented it. I now own the house.

Nita

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Real Bad Hot water tank leak!!!!!!!!!!

If it's >12 years old then yes, you need a new one.

Even if whatever is wrong is repairable it's not worth it to repair a WH that old.

There should be a valve that cuts off the water to the WH so you can still have cold water in the house.

o
RE: Real Bad Hot water tank leak!!!!!!!!!!

We are going to replace it tomorrow. We did shut off the valve to the WH so that we can use the cold water and boil water as necessary.

Thanks!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Plumbing Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here