Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
karyn_gw

Toilet back up - plunger won't work

karyn
11 years ago

I've tried using bleach, Dawn, hot hot water and a plunger - nothing goes through quickly - but the water eventually goes through if it sits for a hour or more. When flushed again/refilled it stops up again so the stopage is past the toilet somewhere.

When we run water elsewhere in the house - the water level rises quickly in the toilet. VERY DISCONCERTING

I just tried a snake and couldn't get it down the toilet any further than 3 feet or so. It was marking up the bottom of the toilet too. I also tried a little liquid drain cleaner down the bathroom sink (can't use it in toilets). Maybe I'll try that in other sinks too.

Any other ideas? I have no idea where or how to use a clean out - or even if there is one. Taking the toilet off is not something I want to do - so it would have to be a plumber or handyman. Meanwhile I can't run much water anywhere in the house. :-(

Comments (4)

• hendricus
    11 years ago

When we run water elsewhere in the house - the water level rises quickly in the toilet.

1. The main line is clogged, you need something like Roto-Rooter to clear it, a snake won't cut it. The toilet is the clean out.
    or
    2. The drain field is plugged. Backhoe and trucks and lots of money.

• karyn
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I've kept working on it and now other water in the house can run without that one toilet's level going up.... thats sort of good I think - but I'm still going to keep a very close eye on it.

Still probably going to need a drain cleaning service though unless it clears up overnight!

UPDATE - it's only slightly better this AM - water is clean and goes down the drain but ever so slow. I'm continuing with hot water and Dawn and plunger but so far no sign of remedy.

UPDATE II - I had it running again, but then when I tested it with full force water down the drain from the bathroom sink and kitchen at the same time - it slowed down again. It's like they pushed something back in the way. Upstairs water running no longer affects the toilet water level however.

This post was edited by karyn on Thu, Dec 20, 12 at 8:46

• brickeyee
    11 years ago

Sounds partially clogged.
    If the obstruction is after the vent for the toilet (the line out to free air) the plunger cannot develop any significant pressure.

• karyn
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks all - it was never DIY - we ended up calling the plumber and they had to remove the toilet and snake the drain - the obstruction was WAY down the line - 60' or more - almost to the sewer. It took two passes to clear it. And about 2 hours @ $90/hour Plus+ Plus+ Snake Fee $75 - Plus+parts and tax.

$288 total - worth it IMHO to know it's done - and done right. Whew - a relief that this is over.

We've only lived in this house for under 2 years - plumber says this was something that started happening long ago.