Return to the Plumbing Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Hot Water Heater Question

Posted by CDH001 (My Page) on
Mon, Dec 23, 13 at 21:08

My house is a 2 story house with basement. I currently have a 20 year old gas hot water heater and am considering replacing it for something a little more efficient. Are they considerably more efficient today? Also, we waste a lot of water waiting for hot water to make it from the basement all the way to the bathrooms on the 2nd floor. Is there a cost effective solution for this today? Thanks for the help.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Hot Water Heater Question

Gas heaters have not increased equal to electric but gas is still more effecient than electric. At 20 years old,you are overdue for the heater to fail so it's wise replacing it now.
Water slow to get hot on secound floor has some options to choose from. The best would be a secound heater upstairs but cost can range from reasonable if gas supply is adiquate upstairs and plumbing is accessable in right place to expensive if new supplies must be installed,not to mention suitable space to house the heater. A circulating pump is inexpensive to install while changing heater but I reccomend researching shortened life of water lines using a pump. If your daly routine is consistant,I suggest a timer that runs pump only during peak usage of hot water. I have set a few up with timers that start pump 30 minutes to 2 hours before resident's normal showers then remain off majority of day. It isn't difficult for an electrician to install an override switch next to where hot water is needed off peak ocasionaly . 3rd and cheapest albeit less effecient and reliable than other options is a point of use electric heater.

o

Ideally, you'd like to recirculate to the most remote fixture, but if there is a 1st floor fixture in a close proximity too the 2nd floor fixtures, it's half the battle.
Depending upon your heat plant and the return air plenum, you may have an easy accessible conduit to the upper floor fixtures.

o

I appreciate the guidance. I hadn't heard of the recirculation pumps before, so will definitely explore that option.

o

It's more than a pump, it's a system which requires a return line too the heater.
However, there are those which can be connected at any fixture, which connect between that fixtures supply lines.

o

There are pump systems that can be placed at the farthest fixture (bathroom?) that use the cold water piping as a return to the water heater. The pump is actuated by switch then turns off when hot water arrives at the pump. They work well when the hot water outlets are "daisy chained" on one hot water pipe. But a two story house may not be plumbed that way.

o

Search this forum for Laing and Autocirc

Retrofit recirc pumps that are affordable and easy to install.

Watts makes one also.

o

If you are not oppossed to electric many power companies will give a free replacement or large discount if you convert from gas to electric.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Plumbing Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here