ardmi
10 years ago

delete

This post was edited by ardmi on Sat, Jan 11, 14 at 15:48

Comments (58)

• User
    10 years ago

I see JAL posted while I was typing.

6 lb salt / cuft resin will get you about 6 days between regens.

8 lb salt / cuft resin will get you about 7 days between regens

The lower salt dose will use 429 more gallons of water each year. The higher salt dose will cost you about 84 more pounds of salt each year. Your choice.

• ardmi
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for your reply justalurker.

Please explain why the equation that has me setting the gallons to 1200 is not correct.

Also why is the manufacture and my dealer telling me to higher the dosage where your telling me to lower it?

Thank you (I apreciate your opinion and time).

Also the dealer recomended the size as well as all the calculators recomended 48K... why is it undersized then?

• User
    10 years ago

deleted...

This post was edited by justalurker on Sat, Dec 21, 13 at 13:54

• ardmi
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you both for your thourough explanations.

So just to clarify the salt setting that are changed in the back are x 1.5 cubic inches?

The one I installed goes up to like 15 or 18 buit I saw a picture of the same head that had cam setting higher?

I think you both said your not very familar with the unit but I thought I would throw it out there anyway....

• User
    10 years ago

deleted...

This post was edited by justalurker on Sat, Dec 21, 13 at 13:55

• ardmi
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I meant to say cubic feet.

I will use your recomendation.

However, to clarify about the cam, the manufacture told me to set it to 22.5. The cam dial does not go that high. I would multiply the settings on the cam by 1.5 cf. (So 22.5 is 15 correct?)

• ardmi
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I meant to say cubic feet.

I will use your recomendation.

However, to clarify about the cam, the manufacture told me to set it to 22.5. The cam dial does not go that high. I would multiply the settings on the cam by 1.5 cf. (So 22.5 is 15 correct?)

• User
    10 years ago

deleted...

This post was edited by justalurker on Sat, Dec 21, 13 at 14:02

• ardmi
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I guess your not reading what I am saying, I am not asking where to set it, I am asking about the cam design and what the numbers represent... there are multiple designs.

As you will see:
    http://www.pentairwatertreatment.com/PentairFiles/Pentair Water Treatment/Bulletins/395-Improved Brine Cam.pdf

So for the final time, thank you.

• ardmi
    Original Author
    10 years ago

THe brine cam in the unit I installed only goes to 18.

• User
    10 years ago

First, that is ANCIENT news... 2003.

Second, the salt scale installed depends on the size of the BLFC. If your scale is 18 then you have the old style scale and a .25 BLFC.

Third, since you are not reading what I am saying there's no reason for me to waste my time trying to help you..

• ardmi
    Original Author
    10 years ago

deleted

This post was edited by ardmi on Sat, Dec 21, 13 at 15:25

• User
    10 years ago

ardmi - The numbers on the salt scale are direct and do not need a multiplier. If you set it at 12 you will get 12 lb of salt.

This post was edited by aliceinwonderland_id on Sat, Dec 21, 13 at 16:07

• ardmi
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks Alice for the response.

I see the Lurker got pissed off, deleted his messages and rode off into the sunset. But before he flew off the handle, he failed to realize I wasnt questioning his setting but rather the equipment I have here.

The BLFC on my unit read .50 1.5. I bought a 48K softener has a 10x54 tank. However, there was a mistake since the cam in my unit can only go to 18. Which is not the right assembly for what I ordered.Im told the right assembly has the ability to set the salt to 32 lbs.

So I guess none of this matters if I set the pounds to 12 but I definetly cant set it to 22.5 like fleck or the dealer suggested regardless of the most efficient setting suggested by the Lurker which I have it set to now.

BTW: I Would be happy to repost Lurkers suggestions to me if anyone is following along, delete functions dont work so well around here!

• ardmi
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks Alice for the response.

I see the Lurker got pissed off, deleted his messages and rode off into the sunset. But before he flew off the handle, he failed to realize I wasnt questioning his setting but rather the equipment I have here.

The BLFC on my unit read .50 1.5. I bought a 48K softener has a 10x54 tank. However, there was a mistake since the cam in my unit can only go to 18. Which is not the right assembly for what I ordered.Im told the right assembly has the ability to set the salt to 32 lbs.

So I guess none of this matters if I set the pounds to 12 but I definetly cant set it to 22.5 like fleck or the dealer suggested regardless of the most efficient setting suggested by the Lurker which I have it set to now.

BTW: I Would be happy to repost Lurkers suggestions to me if anyone is following along, delete functions dont work so well around here!

• ardmi
    Original Author
    10 years ago

And now I am realizing if I set the old style cam to 12 I am actually getting 24lbs of salt. Its just the sticker that is different.

Unless the entire brine valve and gear is different... then its a big issue.

Just thinking outloud here.

• User
    10 years ago

"The BLFC on my unit read .50 1.5. I bought a 48K softener has a 10x54 tank. However, there was a mistake since the cam in my unit can only go to 18. Which is not the right assembly for what I ordered.Im told the right assembly has the ability to set the salt to 32 lbs"

Not an unusual occurrence when buying from online drop-shippers.

You can't use the scale in your 5600 with the wrong BLFC. With the wrong cam for your .50 BLFC 12 will not be 12 pounds of salt.

Get the correct can assembly for the .50 BLFC you have and THEN the numbers on the scale will be correct. With the correct cam assembly for the .50 BLFC 12 on the scale will be 12 pounds of salt.

• User
    10 years ago

Sounds like there is a problem with whomever sold you this softener. At this point, you really don't know what you've got. Possibly the salt sticker is the wrong one. Possibly the BLFC sticker is the wrong one. Possibly both are correct, but shouldn't be installed together. What a mess.

If I were you, I would send them back the old softener and get a better one from someone else. They clearly don't know what they are doing. At the every least, given that they are still selling an OLD valve assembly (or possibly cobbling together new and old) I would question them about the resin installed and how long it has been sitting around and in what conditions.

However, if you don't wish to do that, your recourse at this point is to first determine the actual BLFC size, set the salt and time the brine fill. To determine BLFC size, you will need to run your brine fill line into a bucket and measure. 1 gallon of water = 3 lb of salt. So, with a BLFC of 0.5 you want the brine to fill for 8 minutes = 4 gallons = 12 lb salt. If the BLFC is a 0.25, you need 16 minutes of brine fill.

I wouldn't go through the hassle - it's your vendor's problem and they should fix it.

This post was edited by aliceinwonderland_id on Mon, Dec 23, 13 at 11:43

• User
    10 years ago

Alice is right on the point. Seems that the old cam assembly is in your 5600. It might be a valve assembled from parts laying around.

This is EXACTLY why the new electronic valves are better for DIYers. All of this is easily handles in the control valve programming.

You should make you seller replace the Econominder with a 5600 SXT configured for 1.5 cubes at no charge or find another dealer.

• ardmi
    Original Author
    10 years ago

If they only offer to send me a replacement cam, does this mean that the brine valve and gears would also have to be replaced?

This post was edited by ardmi on Mon, Dec 23, 13 at 11:59

• User
    10 years ago

At this point without the valve in my hands I won't commit to understanding EXACTLY what you actually have.

If you paid by credit card you have leverage over the seller so make them do the right thing or jam the entire purchase down their throat.

As a side note... your contact at Pentair should have caught this right away so they ain't so smuckin fart.

• ardmi
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Do you happen to know if the location of the bypass valve connection is the same on a SXT as the econominder?

If I presue an exchange and ask for the electronic version, I want to make sure I dont have to alter the plumbing for it to fit.

• User
    10 years ago

Since you said BYPASS I'll assume you have a stainless steel one.

Overall height should be the same. The SXT has a separate module for the turbine then bypass then yoke while the Econominder has the dome then bypass so distance from valve center to the wall might be different.

I think (not absolutely sure) that you can make up that difference by using the Noryl bypass and yoke instead of the SS bypass online sellers usually supply. The Noryl bypass is better anyway.

• ardmi
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I just timed the brine refill. Set at 12lbs, it almost filled a 5 gallon bucket in 8 minutes. The entire refill process took about 11-12 minutes and produced just over 5 gallons.

So with that, it says I have a .50 and 12 is actually 24lbs and leaving it at 6lbs would give me the 12 actual lbs that you suggested. Until I can get this rectified with the dealer. Is this even an issue I should raise since I still get the capacity range I purchased?

My other questions remain too about the valve configuration and if changing the cam is just the white portion and the sticker or replacement of the intire valve and gear.

This post was edited by ardmi on Mon, Dec 23, 13 at 14:08

• ardmi
    Original Author
    10 years ago

You posted about the valve placement while I as ... thanks for the info.

Should I make a stink about this?

In any case I can still set this properly as you suggested (in this case lbs set to 6).

• ardmi
    Original Author
    10 years ago

You posted about the valve placement while I as ... thanks for the info.

Should I make a stink about this?

In any case I can still set this properly as you suggested (in this case lbs set to 6).

• User
    10 years ago

Any compromise you choose is a compromise and can come back to bite you or a subsequent homeowner in the future. You spent the money get what you paid for.

I always get the right stuff, doing it the right way, and then move on.

If it were me... I want a new 5600SXT configured for 1.5 cubes, new top basket, Noryl bypass with appropriate yoke, and a service manual at no charge, They can issue a UPS call tag for the Econominder.

Then all you have to worry about is the anonymous or Nelsen brand resin you most likely got.

• ardmi
    Original Author
    10 years ago

"You spent the money get what you paid for".

I agree with you if I didnt think I was getting the 48K capacity capable softener I paid for. Am I confused here?

The dealer tells me that they realize now that an entire batch of heads came this way from Fleck to them.Upon further investigation they confirmed the BLFC orfice size and the time motor is correct for .50 blfc and that the cam design between the two are identical except for the decal that is mislabelled in this batch of valves.

Then the timed brine refill I did confirms this correct?

They are suggesting sending me a replacement decal for the cam that fleck is sending them.

Am I getting screwed here?

• User
    10 years ago

Are we gonna do this again...?

Yup, you got a 48k softener IF you want to regenerate with 22.5 lbs of salt.

"The dealer tells me that they realize now that an entire batch of heads came this way from Fleck to them"

Really, and the person at Pentair you spoke to knew nothing about this?

The seller never sees the product you are shipped. They simply order electronically from a regional drop-shipper like Nelsen Corp. You get what the drop shipper sends and unless you know what you're looking at this is EXACTLY what happens to a DIYer.

Tell your seller that you want a kiss... As Al Pacino said in Dog Day Afternoon "when I'm getting #$%ked I like to get kissed too".

Who is this seller?

"If it were me... I want a new 5600SXT configured for 1.5 cubes, new top basket, Noryl bypass with appropriate yoke, and a service manual at no charge, They can issue a UPS call tag for the Econominder." or tell the seller they can have it all back and you'll dispute the credit card charge.

If you do decide to order from another seller you can make a smarter choice for control valve (7000SXT) and get a 2 cube softener.

This post was edited by justalurker on Mon, Dec 23, 13 at 16:33

• ardmi
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Im not interested in a pissing match with you but I still fail to see where I am getting #@!cked?

The .25 and .50 brine cams, valve and gear function exactly the same... the only difference is the decal (what both the dealer and pentair told me... are they blowing smoke up my ass?).

Your opinion that I made a poor choice aside, I am getting what I paid for (other than the proper decal).

In regards to the efficiency though, generally...Im realizing now that a larger capacity softner (64) would be capable of regeneration my needs with less than the 22.5 pounds of salt?Or you telling me to dial down the capacity, now I am using more water correct?

So its a double sided sword with the capacity I bought, which is right at the borderline of the next size up? Is that what your refering to with my poor choice?

What am I missing here?

This post was edited by ardmi on Mon, Dec 23, 13 at 17:48

• User
    10 years ago

If changing decals makes you happy that's what you should do.

This post was edited by justalurker on Mon, Dec 23, 13 at 18:02

• ardmi
    Original Author
    10 years ago

So your saying my reasoning for return should be to upsize the system. Not the fact the decal is wrong.

This post was edited by ardmi on Mon, Dec 23, 13 at 18:10

• User
    10 years ago

Your reason for returning is that your vendor is confused at best. Going through all this aggravation to figure out what they actually sent you in unacceptable. However, it is your money and your system and at the end of the day all that matters is whether or not you are satisfied with the proposed solution. That said, it may be beneficial for others considering an online purchase to know the name of the vendor you used.

• ardmi
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I understand what your saying Alice but I am forced to allow some comprimise here as well.

Its not exactly practical to package up 200+ pounds of tanks, saturated resin and equipment and take it down to the UPS store. Also breaking newly installed plumbing (that also includes other filteration equipment) might not be in my best interest either.

I guess I dropped the ball from the get-go thinking a 48K is acceptable.... (and acording to all the calculators and equations I plugged in, it was) until you and the softner boss here explained the trade-off.

p.s.--- Just close this thread, no reason to beat a deadhorse with me.... I know your both thinking I am a fool deserving of being taken (the kind of guy you and Lurker probably hope to see walking into your water filteration business.)

• User
    10 years ago

No one deserves to be taken ever, for any reason.

If someone is taken due to ignorance when the information they need to make an informed decision is at their fingertips from people who have no financial interest in what they buy they brought it on themselves.

It's the people who don't know what they don't know that usually don't get what they need, but rather what they're sold.

This post was edited by justalurker on Tue, Dec 24, 13 at 19:11

• User
    10 years ago

ardmi,

I don't believe you are a fool. Nor do I believe you deserve to be taken. Rather I believe you are a consumer trying to do the best you can. You shouldn't be expected to be an expert in water treatment, but the home water treatment industry is full of uneducated and dishonest companies. It's sad.

I have no dog in this fight - I am not affiliated in any way with any water treatment company. My education and experience, prior to retirement, was engineering water treatment for the industrial facilities where I worked. I offer assistance on this site because I just hate to see a company get away with treating customers the way you have been treated. Best of luck to you - I hope it will all work out to your satisfaction.

• ardmi
    Original Author
    10 years ago

DISREGARD- MY CALCULATOR IS BROKEN/.

This post was edited by ardmi on Sat, Jan 11, 14 at 15:46

• ardmi
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Yes my calculator was off. Its becoming clearer (yes call me an idiot if you like).

Its set now to remove 35gpg = 4200 grains per day.
    by having it sett at 12lbs, aren't I set for a 24K capacity with the 50 blfc?

(ie cutting the 23 lbs dosage for 48K capacity in half?)

What happens if we don't quite use 60 gallons per person and the regens are pushed up a few more days?

This post was edited by ardmi on Sat, Jan 11, 14 at 17:16

• User
    10 years ago

No - the relationship between salt dosage and capacity is not linear - it is more logmarithmic.

If you find that you consistently use less water than the estimated 60 gal/person/day, you can set regen time accordingly and use a bit less salt.

• ardmi
    Original Author
    10 years ago

"If you find that you consistently use less water than the estimated 60 gal/person/day, you can set regen time accordingly and use a bit less salt."

How is the adjustment made?

For example say we are using 90 gallons a DAY instead of 120....

This post was edited by ardmi on Sat, Jan 11, 14 at 17:59

• User
    10 years ago

By changing the days between regens. 12 days if you only use 90 gal/day total and Regan with 12 total salt

• ardmi
    Original Author
    10 years ago

OK, just so I can understand better... if we do 90 a day...

90x35 =3150

set at 12 lbs (will this be 36000 or 34000 capacity?)

if 36000/3150 = 11 - 1 = 10 days between regen
    if 34000/3150 = 10 -1 = 9 days between regen

set to 900 gallons
    set to 810 gallons

with the salt at 12lbs then I would be covered if we happen to approach the 120 a day as well?

Is that correct?

--- im still confused about the salt vs. capacity thing... if they are not related then how can you say I am setting it 34000K by dialing in 12lbs of salt?

• ardmi
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Also if you still care to respond. Why in my case is 8lb of salt x 1.5 preferable to the 6lb of salt x 1.5 that I am seeing referenced in other posts here?

• User
    10 years ago

Sorry, my mistake - I was looking at the # for the higher salt dosage. 10 days is correct at 8 lb salt / cu ft resin for you.

I NEVER said there was not a relationship between salt dosage and capacity. I said the relationship was not linear, but logarithmic.

8 lb/cu ft is not necessarily better for you - you made that choice. If you want to use 6 instead that is absolutely fine - you will be more salt efficient and less water efficient regen every 6 days and use 7 lb less salt per month (assuming 60 gallons/person/day water usage).

• ardmi
    Original Author
    10 years ago

So what constitutes capacity then? Gallons of water. And if so what are the gallons relationship... for 34K, 36K, 40K, 48K?

Not linear or logarithmic... you got to dumb it down brother.

• User
    10 years ago

Capacity is determined by the specific resin at specific salt dosage. There is no set capacity in gallons because waters are all different.

Linear: in a straight line so that if you drew a graph it would be a straight slope up.

Logarithmic: in a curved line on a graph, sort of like half of a hill, where the highest point approaches, but never quite reaches - the hill starts out steep but nearly levels off at the top.

I'm not running a math and chemistry class here - that's as simple as it can get.

• ardmi
    Original Author
    10 years ago

"Capacity is determined by the specific resin at specific salt dosage"...

OK, but that still doesn't specifically answer my question.

With 1.5 cubes of resin, what values of lbs of salt = the capacity?

answer that and I will be on a linear path to enlightenment.

• User
    10 years ago

This is a general chart and does not reflect the hardness removal capability of specific resin brands or types so it is not empirically accurate.

This post was edited by justalurker on Sun, Jan 12, 14 at 11:49

• User
    10 years ago

You can't fine tune a crude device. With this control valve, if you estimate your water usage based on the minimum you think you might use, you will all too often have hard water the day before regen.

Just set your salt at 12 and your days at 7 and be done with it. Check your salt level weekly and don't fuss with the valve unless something breaks.