Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
chrismccabe_gw

I'm stumped! No cold water at kitchen sink.

chrismccabe
9 years ago

Recently I bought new appliances and shut the water off to the kitchen sink to install the dishwasher. I then remembered that I had to shut the water off to the fridge too because of the water line. I wasn't sure where the water was coming from so just shut the main water valve coming into the house off.

After installing everything, I turned the main valve on and the hot and cold valves to the sink back on. All the water came back on EXCEPT the cold water going to the kitchen sink. Also, the hot water doesn't seem to have nearly the pressure as before. What's strange is the hand wand still has amazing pressure and fills containers twice as fast as the faucet.

I have tried everything I know to do to troubleshoot the problem. Our house is 100 years old and has a full unfinished basement, so I can see all the water lines and where the go to on the main level. The water line that goes to the kitchen sink is solid copper with no unions. As it comes from the main to below the kitchen it first goes up to supply the half bath. All water works and flows nicely there. Next, it continues on down and has a tap in the pipe that feeds the fridge. It continues down to the washer in the basement, and then makes a 90 degree turn and continues to just below the kitchen sink. This is where the line ends. There is an elbow on the hot with a shut off valve right before it. The cold is the same way. There is no shut off valve in the cabinet under sink.

When the cold water didn't come back on, I removed the valve right before the elbow and to see if it was faulty. In fact, I removed the entire union that the valve went on so that I could stick my finger into the copper water line. No water was flowing, not even a dribble. In fact, I didn't even put the valve back on, and no water has come out of it for weeks.

I'm guessing that there is a blockage at the 90 degree turn that after the washer in the basement because everything flows well before that. If that's the case, how can I unblock it with out cutting the copper pipe?

Also, why am I getting such good pressure on the kitchen sink hand wand (although it's only hot), but not out of the faucet? The dishwasher is connected to the sink hot water line and appears to have sufficient pressure (at least all our dishes come out clean.

Anyone out there have some suggestions you'd like to share?