Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
allen720

water softner sizing question

allen720
10 years ago

Hello. I have purchased my first home on well water and am looking for some advise. I have spoken with kinetico and culligan and read many posts on the forum. I have been quoted a kinetico s250, a culligan gold system and a culligan dual tank he system. I believe I am wanting to purchase a fleck 9100 system and install it myself. What size fleck should I purchase.

Culligan tests show 2.8 ppm ferrous iron and a hardness of 10 ppg. No sulfur
Dual tank system would use 80 lbs of salt per six weeks
Kinetico tests show 2 ppm ferrous iron and a hardness of 8 ppg.
S250 would use 120 lbs per 3 months.

I am awaiting the complete water test from labs but am running out of time to move in.
2 adults 1 child 2 bathrooms he washer. Standard appliances otherwise.
Water flow was average of 42 seconds for five gallons from the tub with hot and cold running.

The culligan rep said the twin tank would be two 1.5 cu ft of resin so 96000k is this the size fleck 9100 I should purchase.

Comments (11)

• User
    10 years ago

Wait for the lab results and do this once... do it right... and then move on.

At a minimum you need to be testing for... hardness, iron (ferrous and ferric), pH, TDS, manganese, sodium, arsenic, copper, nitrates, and bacteria. Living on a well you will want a certified lab to test annually for nitrates and bacteria.

Your SFR sounds a little low. Does your tub have a single handle faucet? If yes then redo the test at a hose bib near the well's pressure tank or close to where the water enters the house if the well hardware is outside.

If your intention is to have the softener treat your almost 3 ppm of iron you won't want to go beyond 3-4 days between regenerations and you'll be performing routine resin cleaning with Iron Out or a similar product.

• allen720
    Original Author
    10 years ago

The handle was a combo hot cold deal. I will retest momentarily I have a bib at the well. The pH was at 6.7 per the kinetico guy. Zero tds. Yes I will be using iron out salt. Do you suggest every bag to use it?

• allen720
    Original Author
    10 years ago

20 seconds per 5 gallons. At the hose bib.

• User
    10 years ago

pH of 6.7 is low.

You can't have ZERO TDS in well water. Distilled water has ZERO TDS. TDS means Total Dissolved Solids.

20 seconds for 5 gallons is an SFR of 15 gpm. Is that bib after the pressure tank or before?

Not iron out salt but a product called Iron Out or Super Iron out. which works better with routine application but not how it says on the package.

• allen720
    Original Author
    10 years ago

We tested positive for e coli and total coliforms so we bleached the well and pipes this evening. Retesting next week. 6.7 and 7.0 is what it should be correct. I was thinking a different value than TDs sorry.
    The bib is after the tank.
    What is your suggestion for iron out application? Both companies suggested only using iron out all the time.

• User
    10 years ago

If shocking your well does not resolve the bacteria problem long term do not get in the habit of shocking the well often. Chlorine can destroy pumps and wiring. There are other ways to deal with bacteria.

• allen720
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Well sir i screwed up the water test. I only tested for the total hardness. Iron. nitrates. and the bacteria.

total hardness 250 ppm=14.61 gpg
    iron 2.42 ppm
    nitrates .02 mg/l
    coliform 100/ml

I know you hate to do this but i need to order asap.
    i believe i am looking for the following.

9100 sxt
    1.5 cu ft + 48k
    tank covers due to being outside
    18x33 brine tank
    fine mesh resin due to the iron levels purolator brand
    gravel bed
    fleck brand basket

does this sound like a good start.

• allen720
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Well sir i screwed up the water test. I only tested for the total hardness. Iron. nitrates. and the bacteria.

total hardness 250 ppm=14.61 gpg
    iron 2.42 ppm
    nitrates .02 mg/l
    coliform 100/ml

I know you hate to do this but i need to order asap.
    i believe i am looking for the following.

9100 sxt
    1.5 cu ft + 48k
    tank covers due to being outside
    18x33 brine tank
    fine mesh resin due to the iron levels purolator brand
    gravel bed
    fleck brand basket

does this sound like a good start.

• allen720
    Original Author
    10 years ago

edit

This post was edited by allen720 on Fri, Dec 6, 13 at 11:55

• User
    10 years ago

Since you are getting twin tanks, you could go as small as 1.0 cuft each. However, if you might have more kids, or have guests, 1.5 will be a better size. It will only use about 3 more lb salt per month.

Remember when you are programming the valve, you need to regen with 9 lb salt per cuft of resin and regen at least every 3-4 days because you have iron in your water.

For iron removal you have several options. You can do a monthly cleaning using Iron Out, add the appropriate amount of Iron Out any time you add salt, use iron-removal salt, or use a liquid resin cleaner, such as Res-up or ResCare with a dispenser. Each method has pros and cons in terms of $, convenience, effort and reliability, but any of them will work if use properly.

• allen720
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Alright so set it at 14 lbs per regen. And figure the water usage and set regen at four days usage gallons?